Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6031 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 1 of 7
19 May 2008 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
http://www.wordprof.com/

The vocabulary software is good for self-testing though it could be more flexible - don't be surprised if it rejects some perfectly good translations of words.
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6031 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 2 of 7
23 May 2008 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
I have done a lot of practice on the vocabulary and my score is tending to go up as my vocabulary increases. I prefer to do the "whole vocabulary" bit though I have done some of the others as well. It seems to score you higher if you get less basic words right, although the scoring system is not spelled out.

Later note: another part of the site does explain that you are scored higher if you get less common words right.

Edited by William Camden on 29 May 2008 at 10:11am

pookiebear79
Groupie
United States
Joined 5789 days ago

76 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Swedish, Italian

Message 3 of 7
30 May 2008 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
I just wanted to say thanks for that link :) I'm just about to pick up studying French again after many years, so I have a feeling it will really help build my vocabulary in a way that's more interesting than looking at lists all the time.
I spent the better part of an evening on that site last week, and you're right. It is very picky/precise even when more than one word could be "correct." But it was kind of fun, too...Even though I basically emabrassed myself by doing the tests. I ended up with long lists of unfamiliar words, but didn't get many right. The thing is, I have retained a decent sized french vocabulary...But apparently none of Those words. Ha ha. Many of the words they tested on, I had never heard of in my life. ;)
It was also funny when I made my lists, as I often had to translate twice- French into English, then the English meaning into "American."(Only if it was something kind of obscure that I really wouldn't understand/remember otherwise.) Anyway, I knew obsessively watching British TV programs would be useful someday. :)

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6031 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 4 of 7
02 June 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
pookiebear79 wrote:
I just wanted to say thanks for that link :) I'm just about to pick up studying French again after many years, so I have a feeling it will really help build my vocabulary in a way that's more interesting than looking at lists all the time.
I spent the better part of an evening on that site last week, and you're right. It is very picky/precise even when more than one word could be "correct." But it was kind of fun, too...Even though I basically emabrassed myself by doing the tests. I ended up with long lists of unfamiliar words, but didn't get many right. The thing is, I have retained a decent sized french vocabulary...But apparently none of Those words. Ha ha. Many of the words they tested on, I had never heard of in my life. ;)
It was also funny when I made my lists, as I often had to translate twice- French into English, then the English meaning into "American."(Only if it was something kind of obscure that I really wouldn't understand/remember otherwise.) Anyway, I knew obsessively watching British TV programs would be useful someday. :)

Glad you like it. I have used it a lot and my French vocabulary has noticeably improved. As I have worked on it, I get used to its little quirks like rejecting perfectly good translations not compatible with its software.

At first I got wildly varied scores on the Whole Vocabulary test, anything from below 20% to above 70%, but over time I am getting more consistent scores at the higher level.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6031 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 5 of 7
04 June 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
I have started a vocabulary notebook based on this, as well as writing out on cards or slips of paper words I didn't get right first time round. It is a handy way of storing for memorisation the words I have gone over - so far I have entered about 800 in the notebook and my latest score on the Whole Vocabulary test is 83%. I am hoping to get above 90% on the test after some more work.   

My best score ever a couple of days ago was 87%. I have also taken to reading French newspapers online, meeting lots of new "vocabulary friends". This website is certainly worth it.

Edited by William Camden on 11 June 2008 at 10:10am

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6031 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 6 of 7
05 September 2016 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
This website is still up, years later, so I will give it a bump.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3728 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 7 of 7
07 September 2016 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
Thanks, William Camden, for bumping this. I hadn't seen it before.
I just took the basic test. I will keep my score a secret to the grave.
I know the admin frowns on emoticons, so I will refrain.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version