United States
last.fm/user/rei_hii
Joined 5759 days ago

35 posts - 34 votes
Studies: Italian, Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Modern Hebrew

Message 33 of 50
23 August 2008 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Well I live in a small town in the East Bay (around 45 minutes from San Francisco). This town is so small that there are no bookstores so I head down to Borders in Pleasant Hill. I did end of buying some of the "Teach Yourself" series. So far they haven't been too bad...(except the Hebrew so for that one I'm looking around for another language series). I wish I had the time to take an actual college course for some of these languages...especially a brush up course on my Italian...lol

Edited by RisaXKoizumiX on 23 August 2008 at 7:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6028 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 34 of 50
26 August 2008 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
here in Sorocaba, there are some bookstores but I believe the best ones to find good grammar books and dictionaries are those which used books are sold.....

luckly I live near the biggest city in Latin America, Sao Paulo, where there are Livraria Cultura and FNAC branches as well as other specialized bookstores and used books and rarities are easily found.....

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6036 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 35 of 50
26 August 2008 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
I live in Germany, quite close to the town of Bamberg.

Like in most German book stores, there is a strong focus on English, French, Italian and Spanish (in descending order).

The book store I usually go to therefore has an abundance of English learning materials, quite a number of materials for French and a nice selection of Spanish and Italian materials. From there it goes downhill.
In my local bookstore, the language section is in the third storey and while it's not very much, it's better than nothing. There are some Langenscheidt, Strokes, Assimil and PONS courses. There are some more "independent" materials, too, but overall there aren't too many material for not-so-popular languages (that even goes for Chinese; hard to find a lot there). Do keep in mind, though, that this is a small town.

If I wanted a bigger selection I'd go to the town of Nuremberg which is far bigger and obviously carries a wider range of products. Going to a book store there once, I saw a

I've noticed that some book stores sometimes have a lot of material for Russian, too, probably due to local Russian communities, etc. whole table of Assimil courses. I couldn't even count them, it was a hugh pile. I was removed from the store later because of having drooled over them...

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5735 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 36 of 50
26 August 2008 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
I get jealous when hearing about all of this...

Here in Portugal, Faro, there are almost no language books in bookstores and absolutely nothing in the Public Library, besides a few dictionaries in English, Latin, German and Spanish.(I think there was one dictionary I was very surprised to see there, but I don't remember the language it was, I'll update if I remember checking some time).

In the bookstores what I find is English, German, Spanish and French books (and not many at that, maybe 10 total...). Nothing else. (None of which interest me at this point...)

I did find ONE novel in Russian (not a bilingual book). And maybe there's some French novels too. All this in the Library, bookstores have English novels, besides that, haven't found anything else.

Besides, they don't order from other countries (in English of course, there's not a wide range on Portuguese language learning materials. I always do all of my studying with English materials). Fortunately, a couple years ago, one Portuguese Online bookstore was created and I have been able to order some foreign books through there. But even so, they have a hard time acquiring anything.

I still have hope this will change, specially because I keep bothering them to acquire other things... (The Online bookstore has, after my last request for them to try and get a certain Japanese dictionary I wanted, acquired a full Japanese course, with Cd's and everything. But unfortunately, they got one of the most expensive AND less known courses around. But they're learning. ^^)

Edited by sei on 26 August 2008 at 1:04pm

vikrate
United States
Joined 5743 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Romanian, Czech, Polish, Bulgarian, Serbo-Croatian, Croatian, Greek, Latin, Hungarian, Cherokee, Irish, Modern Hebrew, German

Message 37 of 50
26 August 2008 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
ElComadreja wrote:
I live in Houston, TX just so you know. I can't say how the bookstores would be in less populated areas.

We're neighbors. I live in Lake Jackson.

545allen
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5726 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English

Message 38 of 50
10 September 2008 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
I like to go to my local bookstore: Borders, Barnes & Noble and Standard. They have many many books that I can spend whole weekend

joaopferrao
Pentaglot
Portugal
Joined 5598 days ago

25 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Icelandic

Message 39 of 50
03 January 2009 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
I usually go to Trama, a small bookshop here in Lisbon. They can get almost any book I want. In portuguese, of course...

Ninja Bunny
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5586 days ago

42 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Danish, Mandarin, Afrikaans, Greek, Latin, Italian, Spanish, French

Message 40 of 50
17 January 2009 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I also go to my local bookstores, the large chains - Borders and Barnes & Noble - as well as the small independent shops. I'm fortunate in that I live in an area where we have immigrants from everywhere, especially Central and East Asia and Russia, and the used shops are filled with books in many foreign languages.

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version