Diglot
United States
Joined 5878 days ago

12 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 31
29 May 2008 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
I'm wondering if anyone else holds an interest in learning Lithuanian. From what I've read about it, it's a very interesting language. A highly inflected language and very close to PIE (Proto Indo-European). I also love the sound of it, and the orthography. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find many resources on it (as anyone would guess,   it's not very widely studied). I'm wondering if anyone on this forum speaks it, or is studying it and has any information or advise on where to start.   

Edited by fissionesque on 29 May 2008 at 10:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 31
29 May 2008 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
I was studying it last year before visiting Lithuania. It is indeed interesting and rather elaborate. Out of all living Indo-European languages, its speakers seem to have been most resistant to discarding the features of PIE. Whether it's very close to PIE is debatable since PIE is an educated guess and is based on what linguists know from all IE languages, living and dead.

For me the biggest problem in learning it was the lack of materials (which meant lack of opportunity to practice on my own). I'm one of those people who needs to do something several times before it starts to stick. The declension drove me nuts since it makes distinctions that other languages no longer make or never made. It took a while and some practice for me just to get a sense (we're not talking mastery) of the declension with their subgroups. What's left of Slavonic declension was much easier for me to retain than Lithuanian declension. As the Baltic and Slavonic languages grew apart after being part of a probable Balto-Slavonic proto-language, the Slavs gradually made fewer and fewer distinctions in declension that likely existed in the proto-language. For whatever reason, the Lithuanians and Latvians retained more of them.
5 persons have voted this message useful

ReginaIvo
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5803 days ago

1 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 31
30 May 2008 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
I do speak Lithuanian.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6373 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 4 of 31
30 May 2008 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Pimsleur, Teach Yourself, and Colloquial, all have Lithuanian courses in their series. They are available from Amazon:
Teach Yourself
Pimsleur or this one
Colloquial
2 persons have voted this message useful

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6102 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 6 of 31
12 June 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
For learning Lithuanian are also available:

Beginner's Lithuanian by Leonardas Dambriunas, William R. Schmalstieg, Antanas Klimas

Easy Way to Lithuanian by Liga K. Streips (Author), Juozas Masilionis (Translator)

Whatever you use or do - good luck with your studies!
1 person has voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6925 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 7 of 31
12 June 2008 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
The audio for the book "Beginner's Lithuanian", above, is available on-line here:

http://languagelab.bh.indiana.edu/archive/lithuanian.html

EDIT/CORRECTION/ADDITION: I see from Amazon that the book "Beginner's Lithuanian" has 40 lessons; the audio cited above is only for the first 20 lessons.

But some materials from the book are available on-line at:

http://www.thelithuanians.com/school.html

There's also a Lithuanian language YAHOO group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LithuanianLanguage/

Edited by daristani on 15 June 2008 at 11:49am

2 persons have voted this message useful

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6695 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 8 of 31
12 June 2008 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
There's a great podcast for Lithuanian, Lithuanian Out Loud. There's loads of episodes, more than 70, and they've all got transcripts with really detailed information.

As for me, my interests lean more towards Latvian...

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version