William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6053 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 9 of 67
21 June 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
As an example of a non-polyglot, Paul Gascoigne apparently learned little or no Italian when he was with Lazio. He was (is) not a cerebral chap, shall we say.
1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6796 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 67
22 June 2008 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
I wonder if the Italians learned any Geordie from him.

jimbo baby
Groupie
United States
Joined 5864 days ago

61 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 67
28 June 2008 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
David Beckham after 4 years in Spain.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H4LJOVS6xxA
3 persons have voted this message useful

mikatu
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5772 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English
Studies: German

Message 12 of 67
30 June 2008 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
I don't believe that footballers learn more or faster, they simple have the resources and the time to learn.
For example, they have physical training during 3 or 4 hours per day. Beside that they have time for learn.
They also have the money (in many cases the club pays) for having a private teacher.

In many situations the sponsors demand for specific skills, like speaking certain language at an intermediate level. This type of contracts may even pay more than the regular salary so they really have the interest in learning.

Rael
Diglot
United States
Joined 6410 days ago

24 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean

Message 13 of 67
15 September 2008 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
I know Thierry Henry can speak French(native), English , Spanish and Italian. Although I have no clue how good his Italian is.

Another is Eidur Gudjohnsen. He is native in Icelandic and speaks English(perfectly!) and Spanish(not sure how good) as well.

Edited by Rael on 15 September 2008 at 8:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jimmymac
United Kingdom
strange-lands.com/le
Joined 5934 days ago

276 posts - 362 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 14 of 67
16 September 2008 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
Paul Gascoigne apparently learned little or no Italian when he was with Lazio.

As a fellow geordie I feel compelled to defend poor Gazza. He did in fact learn some Italian while playing for Lazio. I remember hearing him speaking with Roberto Carlos at some point, albeit with a geordie accent and some very obvious English swear words.

gulliver13
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5803 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, German

Message 15 of 67
03 November 2008 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Learning the native language is very important for professional football players (and maybe even more important for the coaches/managers). In addition, football players spend most of the time together and if they want to communicate, they need to learn the language. But I am not sure that their pronunciation is always good. At least the Bulgarian football players abroad, even after spending several years in the new country, still have their Bulgarian accent, when speaking the native language ;)

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5890 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 16 of 67
04 November 2008 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
Football terminology is quite limited. The one on the field you learn in one (training, not language learning) session. The player interviews are the same everywhere, you just need to learn: "we played well against a strong team. We had more chances than them, but were unlucky. Our team's policy is not to comment on the referee, but it seemed a clear penalty to me. We are confident for the next game".

Fiorentina coach's "excuse" for not playing young French-Portuguese Da Costa was that "he must learn Italian first". But he was probably referring to Italian tactical schemes, as Da Costa is still not playing after 10 months and speaks some Italian. Other players instead went directly to the field with a lesser knowledge of language.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version