Pentaglot
Portugal
Joined 5586 days ago

25 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Icelandic

Message 25 of 67
04 January 2009 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
In Portugal, the majority of football players can't even speak portuguese correctly. Guess what happens when they have to speak other languages... :)
1 person has voted this message useful

GibberMeister
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Scotland
Joined 5590 days ago

61 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Catalan, Lowland Scots*, English*, Portuguese

Message 26 of 67
31 March 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
I remember Jan Molby the Danish international many years ago, on signing for Liverpool and stating that playing in england might help his English.

Withing 2 years he was fluent in broad scouse. Absolutley amazing too!

At the other end of the scale are Jock Wallace, a former Rangers manager, who went to manage Sevilla CF and spent his whole time coaching the team through an interpreter. In fact it wouldn't have surprised me if his interpreter had needed an additional interpreter to cope with Wallace's impenetrable Glasgow accent!

Also, despite many years in Spain and Portugal managing at top level with Real Sociedad, Sporting Lisbon and Real Madrid, John Toshack is lucky not to have been charged with crimes against language. He reggularly 'kneecaps' both Spanish and Portugues whenever he speaks. Truly awful to listen to. I really wish he would just speak English and let an interpreter earn some money, as nobody understands what he's talking about in Spanish anyway.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 27 of 67
03 March 2012 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
I've just realized what bothers me. I've been watching quite a lot of Portuguese football for over three years, often the after-match interviews too. And only yesterday was the first time I heard a Spanish-speaking South American try to speak Portuguese! wtf! I know they can get by just speaking Spanish, but that's disrespectful imo. grrr :S

I mentioned Pavlyuchenko here... As he's Russian and had several Croatian teammates at Tottenham, he ended up learning better Croatian than English, lol. He kept on complaining how the English guys didn't understand his jokes :D

Also, awesome quote about David Luiz from Chelsea:

❝He’s one of them foreign guys who’s come in and wanted to learn. I mean you’d be on the phone talking to your wife or your mum, someone like that, and he’ll just copy what you’re saying. You’d keep walking and keep walking away from him but he just keeps following you.❞
-John Terry.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 28 of 67
04 March 2012 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
The only thing I know is that almost every Dane who's moved to the Netherlands to play football has learned how to speak Dutch better than the Dutch. The Swedish are not far behind in this regard.

There's also plenty clips of Brett Holman speaking good Dutch (the Ozzie international).

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6334 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 29 of 67
04 March 2012 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
I live in Munich and a certain French player has his daughter in the same bilingual school as mine daughters. Both are learning German. Players have sufficient time to do so, if they want to, certainly encouraged here.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4497 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 30 of 67
04 March 2012 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Argentinians, Uruguayans, Paraguayans, etc, etc that come to play here in Brazil usually start speaking Portuguese in about a year (which I think it's too much). The only one who stayed here for 2 years and didn't learn it was Carlos Tevez...

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 04 March 2012 at 3:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4497 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 31 of 67
05 March 2012 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
I think Leonardo is the best example for this. He speaks 5 languages fluently: Portuguese, Italian, French, English and Spanish, and a little of Japanese.

Portuguese (native): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGkyOoHVSSw

Italian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJj6SgVJTYw

Spanish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MLg-oTBNqY

French: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va7NwOauQI0

English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f37mATPmEx4
4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 32 of 67
10 March 2012 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
I also know Arsene Wenger speaks plenty (he is a coach though)

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version