15 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
dynamix
United Kingdom
Joined 5830 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 15
04 June 2008 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
I have all levels of both Platiquemos and LSLC, I've tried Pimsleur and I started getting board of that at around lesson 14/15 and gave up at 20. I'm current using Rosetta Stone which I find a lot better as well as more enjoyable.

Anyway, I've briefly tried both Platiquemos and LSLC, and they both seem really good and the transcripts included are useful too. I plan to use both, unless they cover the same things. So which should I use first? Is only one necessary? I have all levels of Rosetta Stone (Spain) also and I'm going to use that along side whichever audio course I choose. I hope afterwards (after having used Rosetta Stone and either Platiquemos or LSLC) to reach a level where I solely rely upon using media such as books, music, TV etc. to reach fluency from there on. What do you think?

Edited by dynamix on 04 June 2008 at 11:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6392 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 2 of 15
05 June 2008 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
I don't see why you couldn't use both simultaneously. I would say LSLC is better suited to an absolute beginner as the dialogues in Platiquemos can be quite advanced right from the start.

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6424 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 4 of 15
05 June 2008 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Yes I agree with you surfer. Those programs are what I used. It should not be a question of either or but both. They complement each other well. LSLC should be done first. It is a bit more colloquial than FSI. FSI will take you deeper into the language. I believe they are both superior to Rosetta Stone.

bharatthapa
India
Joined 4588 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 15
28 October 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
I too have many doubts but i see this community is almost dead. =/

chrisphillips71
Groupie
United States
Joined 5036 days ago

64 posts - 86 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 6 of 15
28 October 2011 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
I have nearly completed LSLC 2 and am on lesson 45 of Platiquemos. If you have all 8
levels, Platiquemos is a far superior course, and I highly recommend it. There are some
good aspects of LSLC.   However, if you have to choose, Platiquemos is the way to go in
my opinion.

Platiquemos can be a grind, especially at first. However, if you stick with you it, you
will see results. After a while, I suggest getting a Spanish tutor (i.e. via Skype)
because even Platiquemos can only take you so far. The main thing is that you need to
speak and listen to other people speaking.
Good luck.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 7 of 15
28 October 2011 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
They are both brilliant courses, but they cant really be compared to one another.
How long to finish LSLC? 60 hours or so?
You will need to spend 100s of hours to get through Platiquemos, it really is that intense. I believe, but may be wrong, that it is the most comprehensive course available anywhere, not just for Spanish but for any language.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 8 of 15
29 October 2011 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
But yes, I would definetly use both courses, and if you start with Platiquemos you will probably feel overwhelmed. Few people make it to the end of that course. You should understand that if you are serious about Platiquemos, then it is going to dominate your life for many months, if not longer.

You can learn a lot with LSLC though, which is also one of the best courses out their. I would go for that first as you will get a faster introduction to all of the tenses.

Good luck!

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version