United States
artistscientist.blog
Joined 5555 days ago

49 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: English*, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 15
27 August 2013 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
I have not been on this site for quite some time, but I wanted to post that I love Learning Spanish Like Crazy and get
some ideas from you guys for future study. It is by far my favorite Spanish course. I am currently finishing Nivel
Uno for the second time and getting ready to start Nivel dos. I also have the new Nivel tres, but I have not used it
yet. I have taken off quite some time from my language study. It is amazing how quickly it comes back. Just the
other day I was able to talk to a man from Honduras who spoke almost no English. He and I spoke for a good 20-
25 minutes quite easily.

After finishing LSLC 3 I have been toying with the idea of using Platiquemos, FSI basic 1,2,3,4, or lingq. Anyone use
any of these other courses with success? I would love to know your experience or any other suggestions you may
have. I want to really solidify my Spanish before moving on to Tagalog again (then either French or Portuguese).

Art
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7006 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 10 of 15
28 August 2013 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Darn, lost my post.

Nutshell. the FSI Spanish courses are available for free now.

The FSI freebies from LSLC were the parts I used the most and got the most benefit from.

Platiqueumos has some value add, but the audio that wasn't re-recorded is muffled.

These FSI based courses were the cornerstones of my Spanish language proficiency.

LSLC is very Pimsleur like. That didn't appeal to me so much and I never completed all the levels.

I bought the courses many years ago (like 8). Don of Platiquemos fame has since passed away.

artistscientist
Diglot
Groupie
United States
artistscientist.blog
Joined 5555 days ago

49 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: English*, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 15
28 August 2013 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your response. So you would recommend FSI over Platiquemos? I know they
are both at the core, the same course, but platiquemos has some changes to update it
right?

Edited by artistscientist on 28 August 2013 at 2:30pm

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5176 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 12 of 15
28 August 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I recommend FSI over Platiquemos. Platiquemos has some nice bells and whistles (like images and historical stories, etc), but I believe FSI is superior. The audio on FSI is better quality. Also, and more important, Platiquemos cuts out a significant amount of the drills. The timeing for answers also seems better (or at least more consistent) in FSI.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7006 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 13 of 15
29 August 2013 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
You can't beat the price of FSI. For the most part, I prefer it. Other than the missing prompts in Level 3 (Unit 31-45) variation and review drills, I like it more.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5176 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 14 of 15
29 August 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Luke, can you explain what you mean by the missing prompts? I did lesson 31 today and it seemed quite odd. They simply had a bunch of phrases in Spanish that I thought I was just supposed to repeat. Do you believe this is a mistake and they were actually supposed to include the English sentence to translate? That would make a lot of sense. I figured it was just an extra easy lesson.

Edit: to change typing mistake and to add: I cannot believe I did not notice this problem the first time I went through FSI.

Edited by James29 on 29 August 2013 at 3:33pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7006 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 15 of 15
30 August 2013 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Luke, can you explain what you mean by the missing prompts? I did lesson 31 today and it seemed quite odd. They simply had a bunch of phrases in Spanish that I thought I was just supposed to repeat. Do you believe this is a mistake and they were actually supposed to include the English sentence to translate? That would make a lot of sense. I figured it was just an extra easy lesson.

The variation drills in unit 31 should be like those in units 3-30. If you look at the book, you will see that there are English translations of the exercises. Basically, the variation drills are easier than straight translation drills because each sentence is similar to the others in the drill.

In Platiquemos, you'll hear Don Casteel says "Serve yourself more coffee", etc.

Myself, I do like you did and just repeat the sentences when I do the variation drills from FSI. Since I also have the Platiquemos drills, I do them as well.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version