United States
timsviajes.com
Joined 6904 days ago

88 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 1 of 19
12 August 2005 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
It's my understanding that chinese names are written with characters that sound most like the name, is that true? If so, there are many ways to spell the same name, right? I'm asking becasue I'm practicing translating dialogs and I get stumped with the names.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cthulhu
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 7010 days ago

139 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin, Russian

Message 2 of 19
12 August 2005 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Foreign names aren't necessarily written with characters that sound most like the pronunciation; there are pseudo-official "name dictionaries" which tell you how to write foreign personal names in Chinese, but I'm not entirely sure how they decide which characters to use. They're often not the closest phonetic transcriptions possible (like, for example, David, which as a matter of convention is written as DaWei, instead of either DaWeiDe or DaBiDe), so I can only assume there's some other system partially respsonsible. Some names do have multiple accepted ways to be written though; as long as all you're doing is practicing for personal use, it's not really critical how you choose to transcribe foreign names into Chinese.

timinstl
Triglot
Groupie
United States
timsviajes.com
Joined 6904 days ago

88 posts - 92 votes 

Message 3 of 19
12 August 2005 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
I remember that in the movie, Hero with Jet Li, a chinese lady wrote this guys name and he responded with, "I have never seen my name written that way." My mind then went, "Oh, so there are many ways to write a name in Chinese."

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 6994 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanB1

Message 4 of 19
12 August 2005 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
And what about names of famous people like Michael Jackson, Osama bin Laden, George Bush, Diego Maradona, etc.? Are they translated as well or can people talk about them using their real names?

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6970 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 19
12 August 2005 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
jradetzky wrote:
And what about names of famous people like Michael Jackson, Osama bin Laden, George Bush, Diego Maradona, etc.? Are they translated as well or can people talk about them using their real names?

As far as I know they all translated. George Bush, for instance, is called 布什 (bu4 shi2).

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7105 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 19
12 August 2005 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Foreign Names: Such as the ones mentioned by jradetzky, like Cthulhu said, almost have "official" transliterations, a sort of code of transliterations that all journalists and writers follow. There's no specific formula, but I believe they try to use common characters that are easily recognizable and easy to read, sometimes thus sacrificing certain syllables of the name.

The transliterations of many of these names differ in PR China, Taiwan and in Hong Kong. It can be confusing for the learner.

timinstl, I will try to answer your question as I understand it. Names might sound the same, but they're not the "same" if they are written differently. Many sounds are popular as names, and many characters can have the same sound. People can only guess how a name would be written if they have just heard it. A lot of parents are very creative and choose these very obscure characters as names for their children - so it's not surprising that another person wouldn't be able to write it.

timinstl
Triglot
Groupie
United States
timsviajes.com
Joined 6904 days ago

88 posts - 92 votes 

Message 7 of 19
12 August 2005 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
"The transliterations of many of these names differ in PR China, Taiwan and in Hong Kong. It can be confusing for the learner."

So that explains why Jet Li's name is Li Lian Ji in Mandarin and Li Nin Kit in Cantonese?

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7105 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 19
12 August 2005 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
The difference between Li Lian Jie and (literal pronunciation) Lei Lin Git (translated as Lee Lin Kit HK government style) is purely a dialectal difference.

That is not the same situation as I mentioned above. As you know, virtually every name has a different pronunciation in a different dialect. What I meant was that many characters have the same sound, and thus people can't be sure of which to write.

Exaggerated example: Your name is "Won Of For", when pronounced, the writer has to decide if it's "won" or "one", "of" or "off", "for" or "four".

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version