United States
timsviajes.com
Joined 6898 days ago

88 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 9 of 19
12 August 2005 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Okay, I understand. Is their a good source for learning these standardized ways of writing names?
1 person has voted this message useful

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7099 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 19
12 August 2005 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
What do you mean by "standardized"? Do you mean foreign names?

timinstl
Triglot
Groupie
United States
timsviajes.com
Joined 6898 days ago

88 posts - 92 votes 

Message 11 of 19
13 August 2005 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
No, I mean where do I find the standard way to write names, Chinese or foreign.

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7099 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 19
14 August 2005 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
I am still a bit unclear about what you mean by standard. For Chinese names, there are over a thousand surnames and many of them have the same sound, but the common ones are usually pronounced differently. As for given names, there is no standard in this. The characters the parents intended are the right ones - nothing standard about them.

As for foreign names, for common ones, there are already existing transliterations that people follow. As Cthulhu mentioned, David turns into DaWei. But let's say it's something like your last name, Turner, then the writer would perhaps choose to transliterate the name on his/her own.

timinstl
Triglot
Groupie
United States
timsviajes.com
Joined 6898 days ago

88 posts - 92 votes 

Message 13 of 19
14 August 2005 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Okay, I see what you mean. How confusing for the foreigner trying to learn. I thought that there may be standards for writing certain Chinese names, but you're saying that it's up to the parents and how they decide it should be spelled, or rather, written.

By this standard, I could ask multiple Mandarin-speakers to translate my name and I may incur different translations several times, right?

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7099 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 19
14 August 2005 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
It's quite possible, yes.

vincenthychow
Tetraglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6885 days ago

136 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English, GermanB1, Japanese
Studies: French

Message 15 of 19
20 August 2005 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
A very intersting question. Since each Chinese charactera has an independent meaning, so it is very important to have a translation which is not only appropriate in the sense of pronounciation, but also makes sense literally, or at least it should not mean something odd.
Of course, in some cases, we are going to make funny translation. That is, we intentionally use some words which have special or even unfriendly meaning.

Edited by vincenthychow on 20 August 2005 at 10:36am

Guanche
Hexaglot
Spain
danielmarin.blogspot
Joined 6827 days ago

168 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanC1, RussianB1, French, Japanese
Studies: Greek, Mandarin, Arabic (Written)

Message 16 of 19
21 August 2005 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
If you want to write your name in Chinese, you have three options:

1- Phonetically: this is the most popular choice. This means you have to choose several characters that together sound more or less like your name in your native language. Of course, you have to bear in mind that each Chinese character has a meaning associated to it, so you have to be careful in order to choose pleasant ones. Moreover, people try to choose popular characters that everybody knows in order to avoid mispronunciations. To make things worse, remember that there are traditional and simplified characters. Also, there are no official conventions regarding foreign names in China, although most popular English names are always written in the same way (you can find lots of such lists on the internet). Anyway, always remember there are no formal conventions, so you have several options for a given name and therefore your name in Beijing may be written in a different way in Taiwan or in Hong Kong.

2- According to the meaning: if you know your name's meaning (i.e. Peter="stone"), you can choose the characters associated with it. It sounds better to Chinese ears, but it's a bit confusing and I don't think it's a great idea for practical purposes.

3- Choose a Chinese name: a radical option, but everybody will pronounce your name correctly!!. Of course, it is only recommended for those living in China or with strong interests in the country. Not a good choice if you're not familiar with the country and its culture.

Chinese people themselves usually choose English names when they speak to foreigners. I know some chinese that want to be called "Brad Pitt" or "Rambo"...it sounds stupid, but it's becoming quite common in China

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version