Groupie
United States
Joined 5844 days ago

77 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Russian, Ancient Greek

Message 1 of 5
17 June 2008 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone seen the book, Learn Russian, by Ian Press? It is by the same publisher who put out Learn Latin and
Learn Ancient Greek, both by Peter Jones. I was not at all impressed with Learn Ancient Greek and couldn't figure
out what I was supposed to learn from that book. I have however, heard good reviews about the new Russian book.

Is there a fairly complete grammar? Are the explanations thorough? Is it too easy or dumbed down?
1 person has voted this message useful

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5950 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 2 of 5
19 June 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
I have seen all three of the books and the Russian one is easily the best, although I found the pace why too fast to
use it on its own. I had worked through "The Penguin Russian Course" and I was still finding additional grammar
points even in the first few chapters. I would use it post-Teach Yourself (at least) in conjunction with a more sedate
advanced level course (Sorry I can't recommend anything off the top of my head). Eg Press explains the formation
of aspectual pairs by delving in the history of the language and relates it to the consonantal changes seen in the 1st
person singular of 2nd conjugation verbs. Excellent if you are already confident with the theory and need some
more depth, too much detail, in my opinion, if you are meeting it for the first time.
However it does have loads of interesting reading passages which are thoroughly glossed to save time constantly
searching in a dictionary. As far as I can judge from your previous posts it would seem to be about the right level
for you, especially with an interest in Russian culture, literature and history as opposed to business etc.

Rollo the Cat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5844 days ago

77 posts - 90 votes 

Message 3 of 5
14 August 2008 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
I got this book in the mail a few days ago. Tremendous. It is the single best book on Russian I have seen.

As Tony said, it may be a bit faced paced and maybe a bit too difficult for some beginners, but you will learn so
much from this book that it is a must have.

There is no audio and as with any single book or course, it won't be sufficient alone for all needs. Teach Yourself
Russian Grammar, Pimsleur, Michel Thomas, or other courses with audio would be a good start before moving into
this.

chelovek
Diglot
United States
Joined 5897 days ago

413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 5
14 August 2008 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone tried the Colloquial Russian books?

http://www.amazon.com/Colloquial-Russian-Next-Language-Learn ing/dp/0415453941/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=121876 7825&sr=8-2

It looked interesting, but I don't have 45 dollars to spare for the book and audio CD. Of the materials I've used so far, the Penguin and Princeton courses are the most accessible, and the most dense IMO. How does this Learn Russian course compare to those?

Rollo the Cat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5844 days ago

77 posts - 90 votes 

Message 5 of 5
14 August 2008 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
I have the second Colloquial Russian book.   It is fine. I doubt you will need it though after the Penguin and
Princeton courses.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version