Joined 6563 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 5
19 June 2008 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
So now I'm learning Japanese Sign Language. I commenced my studies just last week.

This is definitely a language that one whom is learning it is well advised to start using it right away. No listening-only period, no mp3s, no wordlists, no L-R methods, no graded readers, no difficult grammar, no perfect pronunciation and no boring people.

The challenges will be: reading the signs of natives, speaking or mouthing while signing, and probably, finding enough people who have time to practice with.

A lot of concepts use the same sign such as strange, weird, funny (怪しい、おかしい、へん).
This should make it quicker to learn than a spoken language. Although there is still lots for a beginner to learn.

Signs are interesting because they were made to be meaningful. Whereas spoken language has words from so long ago that nobody knows why something is called what it is. Also you have body movement which is known to help you remember something.

I'm hoping to quickly get to that level where you are just propelled forward because you can use the language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6563 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
21 June 2008 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
How do you count known words in sign language? As I mentioned in my previous post, many words share the same sign.

Right now, I'm using the index to test myself. I'm just going through and seeing if I can sign each word. If not, I look it up (because the page number is right there!) and learn it. So there are about a thousand words in the index but about 500 signs in the book.

Just an interesting question I thought. I wonder how many signs there are in the language. How many do you need to be conversational? haha silly me! The answer is: who cares?! Just learn all you can and then use them.

One thing you can't do is look up the meaning of a sign. You can look up how to sign a word from the language but not the other way around.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4921 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 3 of 5
12 April 2016 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
I am just curious as how 日本手話 pronounced. Is it "Nihon Tego" or "Nihon Shugo"? Though my best bet is the second one.

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6563 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 5
13 April 2016 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
Hello Monox. 日本手話 is pronounced Nihon Shuwa.

You were thinking of the 語 character which looks similar.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4921 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 5 of 5
13 April 2016 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Ugh, right. The word "language" makes my brain to see 話 as 語. I just know from your post that "hana" can be read as "wa" (that was "hana", right?).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version