Germany
Joined 6581 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 1 of 25
19 June 2008 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
Hi everybody!
So I decided I want to learn Bosnian and I was wondering what you think is the best way to do that. Since I haven't seen any materials for Bosnian, I'd need to use materials for Croatian and Serbian, though.
I have Pimsleur Croatian and Magner's book here, I'm also planing to buy TY Croatian and TY Serbian as well as Ronelle Alexander's two books. A can also download FSI Serbo-Croatian.
What other materials would you suggest?
How about podcasts, does anybody know about any good podcasts?

I thought of using Pimsleur Croatian (it's only 10 units) as a nice introduction into the language. Then I'd use TY Croatian and TY Serbian simultaniously to get a good grounding in the language before moving on to Ronelle Alexander's books. As a last step I might use FSI Serbo-Croatian.
What "strategy" would you suggest?
Where/when can I use Magner's book? Where/when should I use FSI Serbo-Croatian? Would I need to use it at all?

Regards,
Ilhan
1 person has voted this message useful

Makrasiroutioun
Quadrilingual Heptaglot
Canada
infowars.com
Joined 5866 days ago

210 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Armenian*, Romanian*, Latin, German, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 25
19 June 2008 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
My advice would be to stock up on Serbo-Croatian material, become comfortable reading and speaking the language, and then get a book or two specifically dealing with Bosnianisms and Bosnian phonology.

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6581 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 

Message 3 of 25
20 June 2008 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the answer, but this doesn't help me a lot.
Thanks anyways :)

Regards,
Ilhan

pookiebear79
Groupie
United States
Joined 5790 days ago

76 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Swedish, Italian

Message 4 of 25
20 June 2008 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure you've already thought to check for online sources, but I thought I'd put this out there anyway. Out of curiosity after reading your first post, I did a google search for 'Bosnian Language' and came up with several sites. The one I checked out was on the (English) wikipedia site because it had several links near the bottom which you might find useful.

Wikipedia entry for Bosnian Language

Since I'm not learning the language, I can't offer anything specific about learning it, I just thought that you might have better luck finding online resources to help you, (to supplement your learning of Croatian/Serbian) since you said you can't find anything in print.

As for podcasts, I didn't see anything specifically for learning the Bosnian language (but then again, i didn't search for long, but merely out of curiosity and because I like a good challenge,) I just saw one thing out of
Australia
There didn't seem to be much there, but it did appear to be in the Bosnian language and not English, (though I couldn't be 100% sure because I didn't listen.)
At any rate, good luck. I hope this was at least a little bit helpful. :)

Edited by pookiebear79 on 21 June 2008 at 12:36am

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6581 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 

Message 5 of 25
20 June 2008 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for the help :)

Regards,
Ilhan

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6581 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 

Message 6 of 25
29 June 2008 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
Any other recommendations?

Regards,
Ilhan

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5785 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 7 of 25
07 July 2008 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently also polishing my knowledge of the languages formerly known as Serbo-Croatian, stressing Croatian yet also including other forms of this language family.

I recently bought TY Croatian from Amazon, which is pretty much the same as in the 1990s when it was called TY Serbo-Croat. I also ran the Pimsleurs Croatian in my car and now I know all about ordering drinks at a restaurant. This course doesn't bring you a lot further than that but at least it gives you an idea of the pronunciation and word order.

By the way, as I see that your native language is Turkish: Bosnian (depending on where it is spoken) is basically very close to Serbian and Croatian, with the big difference of having incorporated loan words from Turkish. I guess you'll just have to remember which of your native words are used in Bosnia and if they have the same or a different meaning.

Another thing: I have the feeling that the usage of Turkish loan words in Bosnian is basically restricted to colloquially spoken language. When checking a regular Bosnian website (newspaper, television site), it looks like these words are used a lot less in print. Frankly, to me it looks so much like Ijekavian Croatian (or any of the other Ijekavian dialects) that I can hardly tell the difference.

In the Wiki about Bosnian I found this link: http://www20.sbs.com.au/podcasting/index.php?action=feeddeta ils&feedid=28&catid=1 with podcasts in Bosnian. This may be good for getting used to listening to the language. Just play them in the background when doing other stuff. :)

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6581 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 

Message 8 of 25
07 July 2008 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the help!
How would you rate the quality of TY Croatian and how it teaches the language? I also heard that TY Serbian is supposed to be better. Do you think that's true?

Regards,
Ilhan

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version