Triglot
Canada
Joined 5817 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English, French*, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 17 of 29
31 July 2008 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
LanguageGeek, Darobat, let me know how you guys are doing as you go through TYS. It'd be interesting to compare our progress.
Do you have any specific recommendations for Swedish podcasts that I could listen to on my iPod, and streaming radio that I could just start and listen to indefinitely?

So far I'm doing okay, but not wonderfully. I've been doing at least some Swedish everyday. My SRS gets reviewed punctually, and I generally get in a lesson of Rosetta Stone everty day. My study of Assimil, on the other hand, is a lot less consistent. I'm up to lesson 18 and I'm enjoying it, but what I really need is someone to give me a good kick in the pants and make sure that I do it daily instead of watching old episodes of One Tree Hill on my laptop.
Anybody interested in being my kick-in-the-pants Swedish study buddy?
1 person has voted this message useful

snoogles
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5817 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes

Message 18 of 29
08 August 2008 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Joy and happiness! I have finished Rosetta Stone! It gives a nice sense of achievement, even though I really enjoyed working through it, and wish there levels 2 and 3 were available in Swedish.
I've started downloading Swedish movies and watching them at night. I'm able to pick some words and simple phrase. I've heard "Jag vet inte", for example, enough times in the movie f**king Åmål to never forget it.
I've also given up on watching One Tree Hill, mostly because I found out the couple I was rooting for doesn't get together. So... now I have a lot more free time to devote to language study! Maybe I'll take another at FSI again. The dialogue is still way to fast for me to understand without reading it at the same time. However, I do love the drills. I think that if I can get past the feeling that I need to know the dialogue before moving on to the next lesson, I'll really be able to get the most benefit from that course.

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5836 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 19 of 29
09 August 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
With regard to watching DVDs, try to buy some Swedish films on the Swedish market (for example www.cdon.com). Check if they have both Swedish and English subtitles so you can choose which to use.

snoogles
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5817 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes

Message 20 of 29
24 August 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice Eduard!

I'm extremely busy right now, preparing to move to France where I'll be studying on an exchange program for a year. My Swedish progress is slow, but very steady. I'm far from studying as much as I need to to achieve my goal, but I'm hoping that as I start school again, I'll get in the rythm of studying regularly, and that my language learning will follow suit.

I've started looking at FSI again, and it seems a lot more approachable now that I have some foundations. Rosetta Stone was tremendously helpful at painlessly teaching me some basic vocabulary and sentence structure. I highly recommend it to anyone who is amenable to being taken by the hand and gently led through the basics of their target language. There have been lots of criticisms of RS in this forum, some of which are right. Nobody is going to become fluent just by using RS. However, it, along with a dozen lessons of Pimsleur, have allowed the language to seem a lot less daunting. I will definitely be using these methods again, with my next language, and I think it's a shame that they are not available at a higher level for Swedish.

snoogles
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5817 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes

Message 21 of 29
18 December 2008 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
So... It's been a while. The good news is, while I've been slacking to an extent that can only be described as "hardcore", I've managed to keep the little Swedish I have alive, and even improve!
It's been a busy 4 months as I've moved to France and started studying at one of the more intense science schools in the country. The even better news is that this school has an exchange program with Uppsala in Sweden, which means that they offer a language class. I jumped in halfway through, and had no trouble catching up to the class.
I have a lot on my plate with studying for my biology exams, but I'm hoping that I can manage to motivate myself a little more as the New Year rolls around.

snoogles
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5817 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes

Message 22 of 29
16 July 2010 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
I'm back, and this time I have real motivation: I'm moving to Stockholm from September
to April/May! Although I'll be working in a lab where English and Italian are the main
languages, I'll be staying with a Swedish family and already have some Swedish friends,
whose social circle I'm planning on stealing.

My "progress" since two summers ago:

- I've finished the new version of Rosetta Stone which has three levels
- I've worked my way through the first tome of Assimil
- I've taken a beginner class at my school, which unfortunately didn't teach me
anything new
- I've L&R part of my favourite book "Parfymen", and part of "Flickan som lekte med
elden".
- I'm currently feeding the entire lexicon of Assimil into Anki (Swedish -> English)
and learning about 100 words per day
- I've become addicted to Veronica Maggio and can sing along to a couple of songs
- I took the Utbildningar/Sprakkurser/Svenska-Swedish/">Swedish placement test and was told
that I'm at a B1 threshold stage.

The plan:
- Continue with the learning 100 new words a day
- Work as quickly as possible through FSI, with most of the emphasis on drills
- Move to Sweden and spend as much time as possible with Swedish speakers (NO English!)

It's been a busy two years, but not language-learning busy. I hope to hope back on the
band-wagon and get some real work done.

snoogles
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5817 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes

Message 23 of 29
22 July 2010 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Countdown to Stockholm: 35 days

My progress over the past 7 days:

- 500 new words learned on Anki
- FSI lessons 4, 5, 6, and 7 done to completion.

My vocabulary learning is going quite well, although I've now burned through all the
cards that I'd been adding but not studying during the beginning of my vacation. I have
an 8 hour drive (as a passenger) tomorrow, so I'll try to spend as much time as I can
adding new vocabulary. I'm also going to relax about adding every single word: the
compulsive part of my brain is made very happy by it, but being reminded at regular
intervals that akademisk means academic is probably not the best use of
my time.

FSI is also coming along well. The lessons that I've done so far are familiar, and I
find that I can follow along with just the audio. The drills are great (if sometimes a
bit boring), in that I practice both speaking and grammar points that I may have
noticed, but never spelled out before.

Goals for the next 7 days:
- Forsätta lära mig hundra nya ord i Anki varje dag (100 new words a day in Anki)
- Kompletera 2 lektioner i FSI boken (2 FSI lessons)
- Skriva lite i svenska varje dag (Write a little every day)
- Läsa 2 artiklar i Svenska Dagbladet (Read 2 articles in the Svenska Dagblad(et))

snoogles
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5817 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes

Message 24 of 29
29 July 2010 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Countdown to Stockholm: 27 days

My progress:
- Added 600 new flashcars in Anki (mostly Sv->En, with some irregular conjugations
thrown in for fun)
- Did FSI lessons 7 and 8
- Read an article about asexuality and another on fees that businesses charges to
customers paying by credit card

FSI is slowly getting harder. Swedish, for all its lack of conjugation, has some really
weird rules for adjectives. Almost weirder than French's rules for the passé composé.
Almost...

I've also found a lovely
blog which patiently
explains grammar and vocabulary at the reader's request.

Goals for the next 7 days:
- Complete 2 FSI lessons
- Listen to Radio Klartext every
weekday
- Only add vocabulary to Anki that I naturally would from using the resources above

Edited by snoogles on 29 July 2010 at 5:55pm

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version