United States
Joined 6536 days ago

43 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Russian

Message 9 of 13
18 September 2008 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
Tasmanian Aborigines reportedly had a very reduced counting system, but the last full-blooded one died in 1876, after her people received treatment from settlers that some have characterised as genocide.

Interesting. Well I suppose without concepts such as "currency," "history," or any form or science, counting would be rather redundant. It isn't often I look around and count things just for the hell of it.

Of course, if over many thousands of years a people had not first thought of counting, how could it develop anything characterizing an advanced culture?

In other words I agree with psychologists that language has a big impact on human thinking, but it is MAN who invents language.

Edited by Virginian683 on 18 September 2008 at 6:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6311 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 10 of 13
18 September 2008 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
If you wish to learn about Pirahã the reference is Everett's book: A lingua piraha e a teoria da sintaxe: Descricao, perspectivas e teoria

You can also hear it in a video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Spzjh9QgA

and herehttp://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Spzjh9QgA

a good reference is
http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2008/01/piraha_the_worlds.html

NPR: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9458681

Edited by zenmonkey on 18 September 2008 at 11:27pm

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5674 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 13
18 September 2008 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Virginian683 wrote:

Interesting. Well I suppose without concepts such as "currency," "history," or any form or science, counting would be rather redundant. It isn't often I look around and count things just for the hell of it.

Of course, if over many thousands of years a people had not first thought of counting, how could it develop anything characterizing an advanced culture?

In other words I agree with psychologists that language has a big impact on human thinking, but it is MAN who invents language.
Agreed. Just for the record, it's called cognitive linguistics. Very anti-Chomsky :)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 13
13 July 2009 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
A long lecture on the subject is found at http://fora.tv/2009/03/20/Daniel_Everett_Endangered_Language s_and_Lost_Knowledge

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6031 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 13 of 13
18 July 2009 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Virginian683 wrote:
William Camden wrote:
Tasmanian Aborigines reportedly had a very reduced counting system, but the last full-blooded one died in 1876, after her people received treatment from settlers that some have characterised as genocide.

With the Tasmanians, we have to go on what was recorded about them by people who in many cases were exploiting them to death.

The development of civilisation is driven by need. If the Tasmanians did not need an elaborate counting system, there was no impetus to develop it.

Although they had numbers, the Incas had a formidable civilisation without writing, the only records being quipu, knotted string tied to sticks.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version