United States
Joined 5766 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 13
21 July 2008 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Eduard wrote:
I wonder if one would be best off using some kind of portable pc, palmtop or windows-enabled advanced mobile phone for this purpose. Then one could install dictionary software on this machine and use it instead. It's probably more difficult to use but on the other hand one would have 'proper and complete' dictionaries at hand. Additional costs are also a disadvantage, unless one already owns dictionaries on cd-rom already. It might be worth considering.

I think that would be best. It's easier to upgrade and it has the advantage of having dictionaries in multiple languages. Mobile phones are already moving toward becoming portable computers. They will soon be capable of handling these kinds of tasks.
1 person has voted this message useful

habadzi
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 5363 days ago

70 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Hindi, French, German, Italian, Ancient Greek, Modern Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Indonesian, Bengali, Albanian, Nepali

Message 10 of 13
22 August 2009 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
In 2004 I bought 27 dictionaries from ectaco.com in windows, palm, and windows CE format. Since then I bought a few extra ones. I use them on two old sony pda's that run palm OS, 12 on one and 14 on the other. I never go anywhere without them.

I am usually able to find the words. Some explanations are not exactly English, and one sees that a computer did the sorting. But they are largely satisfactory, and certainly for the price. In fact I want to buy a palm-based mobile phone so that I can continue using them rather than buy them all over again. On the other hand, their database must have improved.

So, I do recommend ectaco for software. I personally would not buy their hardware, that's not worth it.

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5698 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 13
22 August 2009 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
WordReference is available for iPhone and iPod Touch, if you have one of those... If you don't then maybe investing in one makes just as much sense. You can use them for a kajillion other things too obviously, including flashcards, audiobooks, music, books I believe, etc etc etc. I'm getting one as soon as they're back in stock :-)

Liz

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6083 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 12 of 13
22 August 2009 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
iPod touch -- the language learner's friend. Dictionaries. Internet access. Videos. MP3 playback. Multilingual
internet radio.

habadzi
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 5363 days ago

70 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Hindi, French, German, Italian, Ancient Greek, Modern Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Indonesian, Bengali, Albanian, Nepali

Message 13 of 13
22 August 2009 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
I saw the website wordreference.com, and indeed it has 15 dictionaries. How does the ipod touch work with respect to backtracking or moving forward? is there a set point that you can input?
For the time being I am with sprint, and I just ordered a treo centro that should run my many old palm dictionaries. I have lost phones in exotic places, and I don't want to lose these expensive gadgets (or pay for insurance to buy them proactively!)

Lizzern wrote:
WordReference is available for iPhone and iPod Touch, if you have one of those... If you don't then maybe investing in one makes just as much sense. You can use them for a kajillion other things too obviously, including flashcards, audiobooks, music, books I believe, etc etc etc. I'm getting one as soon as they're back in stock :-)

Liz

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version