Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5693 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 25 of 43
16 March 2009 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
I've downloaded this file but on ym laptop it's not function at all :-( I've quicktime on Mac. This file is AVI. I don't know how to play this type of file, unfortunately. A person can explain me? Thanks very much.
1 person has voted this message useful

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6737 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 26 of 43
16 March 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Try downloading another media player.

Realplayer or windows media player classic should do it. Just google them to get a copy.

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6737 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 27 of 43
16 March 2009 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
portunhol wrote:
I’ll admit it. I was dubious. We talked at first in Portuguese, which he spoke with no accent. Then, without the warning that he probably deserved, I switched into Spanish. He continued in Spanish as if nothing had changed. I then switched to English and he had no trouble continuing our conversation in that language. David also claims to have studied a wide variety of languages (including Hindi) with Ziad and reports to having seen him converse in Mandarin, as well as other languages. I recognize that this is not proof but it is compelling evidence that leads us (David and me) to believe that he speaks the other languages he claims to know. I have only personally heard Alexander Aruguelles converse in English, French, Italian, Spanish, Latin and in a little Korean with his wife; I do not feel naïve assuming that he truly knows the other twenty some languages that he claims to be proficient in.

Portuguese, Spanish, and English? I could think of more convincing combinations.

The thing with the Professor is that he is... a professor. PhD qualified. There was an article about him after the bombings in Lebanon a couple of years ago, and they referred to him as such. Plus he posts videos of himself speaking many of the languages, so it's right there for everyone to see.

Like I said before, I find it hard to reconcile the hearsay with that video, but if someone posts videos or audio of him speaking some of those languages, then I'll gladly believe in his abilities.

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5693 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 

Message 29 of 43
17 March 2009 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Walshy wrote:
Try downloading another media player.

Realplayer or windows media player classic should do it. Just google them to get a copy.

Thanks :-) we solved this problem and I've seen the film with the VLC media player.

The man didn't understand nothing, but I don't know why. What a pity there's not the possibility ask him why. Also I want to know, at which level had he told that he was in those languages?

Instruct1
Groupie
United States
Joined 6232 days ago

84 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, French

Message 30 of 43
17 March 2009 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Posting this since Walshy mentioned the article, and the radio interview was kind of interesting.

Walshy wrote:
There was an article about him after the bombings in Lebanon a couple of years ago...

The newspaper article is no longer online but the audio from Alexander Arguelles' radio interview can still be found from this radio station's archives.

http://www.kpfa.org/archive/id/22278

Direct download link for the audio file, a little over 10 megabytes.

http://legacy.kpfa.org/data/20060818-Fri1700.mp3

The Professor's interview in English starts around 20:17. The interview in Spanish starts at around 50:15.

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5693 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 

Message 32 of 43
17 March 2009 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
aYa wrote:
It beats me. Why should it matter how many languages a person claims to speak?
The pope says he speaks with angels, Mr Ziad Fazah says he speaks in tongues. I wouldn't question their ability of saying so.

I think that, generally, it's absolutely not imortant at all, but Ziad fazah is in the Guiness Book of records because he can speak the most of all the world, therefore it matter. Now I find that book boring, but when i was younger I found it interesting, but it's only interesting if it's accurate.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version