Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Mind Portal...The Language Project!!!

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
84 messages over 11 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 10 11 Next >>
Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5743 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Japanese, Swedish, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 41 of 84
30 July 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
ExtraLean wrote:
DaraghM wrote:
Jozen-Bo,

Best of luck with this truly original method. Unfortunately, I cannot participate, but I'd love to hear back in six months about your successes. Perhaps posting in the multilingual forum will demonstrate your ability, in all the languages you tackle, using this method.

He has a point. Get back to us in a few months.

I believe you yourself said that you have better things to do with your time.

Thom.

Finally, two quotes for the price of one!

I did say that, but I have invested some of my time here, so I will defend myself from tazing if I feel there are people trying to taze me. I have experience with this, so I know that at times one needs to stand their ground, in this case, defend the survival of the thread. I will cool off if others do.

I will not vanish for a few months, not if there are people here who do participate, as we will need to collaborate our efforts and this is a good place for that. So far, it appears there are two people here interested in becoming a part of this experiment, and these tazing attempts are threatening both their liberties to do so, and mine to provide them the chance.   

Other then this, no, I won't be needlessly adding to this thread day after day, though I will respond when others place words here...it's my right and it's what these forums are about, providing a meeting place for people to exchange ideas, share, and learn from each other.

I predicted before coming here that 99% of the people here would not participate. Its the 1% I am looking for. So, it comes as no surprise. I am happy to see that there are people who at least want to see the results and more happy to see there are people who are willing to join the experiment.

6 months, where should one's level of learning be by then? To be more specific, let's count the hours themselves, I want a strong lock down on those results, nothing vague and blurry. I will keep track of two things, spin time study and non-spin time study. So, if I put in 2 hours of spin time and 3 hours on non-spin time, then we can get a better idea.

Serious question...how fast is fast.....a month, two? How do we figure out how quickly one has advanced? I know...I will be communication with Finnish people in their own language...after all, who can judge better? Still, the results, communications, and coordinations for expanding this experiment to include other languages is here, this is a meeting place for participants.

If you decline, please keep it to yourself and not weigh this thread down, I want it to be a place for the participants to communicate, not for the dissenters to dissent, nor the decliners to decline. I don't want 50 pages of..."I decline" or "I think you should go away" or "do this and that". I want 50 pages of "I am half way done with my map" and "the map is done, let's trade" and "This is what its been like" and "Wie geht's, deiser Karte hilft sehr viel, meine Sprache ist schneller besser bekommen".

To anyone else, please don't share your declination, your opinion, or your request that I begone...it serves no purpose.

Thank You

Edited by Jozen-Bo on 30 July 2008 at 12:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5791 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 42 of 84
30 July 2008 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Jozen-Bo wrote:

Ortho wrote:
And stop "correcting" other peoples' language mistakes until after you can properly use "your" and "you're". Even if you were right (you were wrong both times), it's still impolite.

I am dyslexic, what's your excuse?

If you're dyslexic, then it makes you even more antisocial. How can you justify potentially causing public embarassment to another inflicted with the same disability as yourself? I would have thought you'd be more sensitive to the feelings of others.

Jozen-Bo wrote:
Why do you bother to tell me you are declining? Why not simply say nothing? Why do you feel the need to publicly announce your declination? What is the purpose of that?

Because silence often is taken as tacit acceptance. By not shouting you down, all of us on this site might be associated with your quackery.

Quote:
Objective testing please...

Not subjective dismissing...

Excuse me, but you've got that one upside down...

"You have given us no reason to believe that this will work." This is an objective (and true) statement.
Accepting the validity of your claims could not have been done objectively -- this would have been entirely subjective as it is based on no logical reasoning.

Now.
If I suggested that reading War and Peace backwards, then forwards in your target language would assist the language learning process, do you think I would have got a reaction any more positive than you got? Should I be able to insist that people try it before criticising? No. Because it's moronic.

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5743 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 43 of 84
30 July 2008 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Jozen-Bo wrote:

Ortho wrote:
And stop "correcting" other peoples' language mistakes until after you can properly use "your" and "you're". Even if you were right (you were wrong both times), it's still impolite.

I am dyslexic, what's your excuse?

If you're dyslexic, then it makes you even more antisocial. How can you justify potentially causing public embarassment to another inflicted with the same disability as yourself? I would have thought you'd be more sensitive to the feelings of others.

So then you are dyslexic yourself? Or is it that there is someone else here who is also dyslexic? I came out and said it, so now its clear. And if this is the case with yourself, then I apologize.

------------------------------------

Cainntear wrote:
Jozen-Bo wrote:
Why do you bother to tell me you are declining? Why not simply say nothing? Why do you feel the need to publicly announce your declination? What is the purpose of that?

Because silence often is taken as tacit acceptance. By not shouting you down, all of us on this site might be associated with your quackery.

More opinions that serve nothing to produce results.

YOU ARE NOT ALL! AND NOT EVERYONE HERE OR ELSEWHERE AGREE WITH YOU! GET OVER IT!

Please do not drivel your nonsense about quackery, you don't even know what the word means based on how you just now used it. A quack sells cons at a price, with the idea of extracting money. I am not selling, nor am I saying this works yet. I can say I think it might work, or that I believe it will, and that doesn't make me a quack. Searching for objective proof, this has nothing to do with quackery.

I get the feeling your keep searching your brain for new ways to undermine this experiment, you don't even want to give it a chance. I will even bet that deep down inside it scares you, considering how it might change the world if the results are affirmative. How will you or anyone possibly be able to use your silly ridicules if it does?

Here's a clue...you can't stop it, regardless of how hard you try. Even if I am banned, I have saved everything here and I will find another place and start there and proclaim how open minded the moderators are should they allow me to stay. Nothing will be lost. Attention will shift, it will lead to more exposure (which obviously is a concern of yours- because some other place with 5000-50,000 members will be picking up where we left off...should that happen. Though, I get the feeling that the moderators here respect the diverse opinions, ideas, and methods people choose for themselves (unlike you...ever hear of the 1940's Japanese thought police?) regarding how to learn other languages, so I imagine they will allow me to stay.

..."shout on the internet"...let me guess, your 100 feet tall?

------------------------------------

Cainntear wrote:
Quote:
Objective testing please...

Not subjective dismissing...

Excuse me, but you've got that one upside down...

"You have given us no reason to believe that this will work." This is an objective (and true) statement.
Accepting the validity of your claims could not have been done objectively -- this would have been entirely subjective as it is based on no logical reasoning.

Please try using the facts regarding this test...oh wait...there aren't any...so I will test and find out...

You lack the ability to reason well. Why do I talk to you?

Testing equals a search for objective results.

Dismissing based on no testing equals subjective ideas preventing results.

Simple!

Cainntear wrote:
Now.
If I suggested that reading War and Peace backwards, then forwards in your target language would assist the language learning process, do you think I would have got a reaction any more positive than you got? Should I be able to insist that people try it before criticising? No. Because it's moronic.

These are two different things...you are confused.

Is there an ignore bottom in these forums? I am going to see if I can locate it...and use it for the first time ever......
(I am looking for this bottom because I find your presence to be distracting, insincere, dubious, aggressive, cruel, insulting, uncaring, bullying, repetitive, trolling, and inconsiderate...).

Edited by Jozen-Bo on 30 July 2008 at 1:33pm

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5743 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 44 of 84
30 July 2008 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
OK...it appears that there is no ignore button.

Cainntear, you've made your opinion clear, you have no interest in helping this thread, we obviously aren't getting along, so I am going to ask you to simply ignore this thread, no one is making you read it, no one is making you do anything, you have nothing at all you can add to this thread, other then simply repeating what is already very clear, that you disapprove.

Can we behave like civilized mature adults and give it a rest finally? In other words, can you please, please, please just show a little respect for the basic rights of another individual who is sincerely trying to find out for themselves about what they choose? Could you please post no further in this thread, since it is apparent that you will not be contributing to it?

I am saying please!

I hope you find happiness and fulfillment and wish you all the luck, fortune, and success life has to offer. Can we call a truce and go our separate ways...you in your threads and me in mine?    

I honestly apologize if anything I said affected you in a personal way, I did not mean anything personal. So, let me search for truth as I do and go on doing it how you do. We don't share beliefs, so what. Do we have to start insulting each other because of it? Maybe your religious, and most likely not the same religion that I am; so do we start calling each other names because of it? How would you feel if I called your church a money sucking quackery? Do you see where I'm getting at? Much of this involves how one's believing system is, and as some people are willing to try because they believe its at least worth finding out, while others believe its pointless; can we please respect the freedom and beliefs of others and show a basic respect for the free choices they make?

I would appreciate it so much!

Thank you,
Jozen-Bo

Edited by Jozen-Bo on 30 July 2008 at 2:17pm

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5743 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 45 of 84
30 July 2008 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
OK...maybe I am going a little overboard with the ignore button...I am sure I would have regretted it had I found one and used it. Cainntear, maybe I am getting too sensitive, it can happen from time to time...if you can restrain from using words like stupid, quackery, loopy, idiotic, or such; and please consider that I do FEEL and have emotions, then you are welcome to post your thoughts...

For example...rather then saying; "your idea is stupid"

Try..."I doubt it will work"

or instead of "your quackery" (this makes me out to look like some crooked thief...)

try..."I disagree with your ideas"

These little differences in communication add up quick to make big impacts in the emotional realm that is part of being human. You can express your ideas all day long without getting me upset if you are savvy and not insulting...

Take a friend...PsychoticEpisode....for example; at first we had heated debates, but we both mellowed out now, and even when he tells a joke aimed at what I do, it is welcome because he's able to make it funny and for some reason not personal...

How you say it makes all the difference in the world...this may digress a little...but since the essence behind any language is itself communication and this is a good example of how communication can lead up to tension and chaos, I feel that it does not digress too far...

So...

Pavilion
Groupie
United States
Joined 5835 days ago

58 posts - 56 votes 

Message 46 of 84
30 July 2008 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
I'd say that it's simply a case of "nobody agrees all of the time". What a boring world it would be if we did!

We can, however, all disagree with each other amicably and with mutual respect (at least enough to allow others to hold a different opinion than ones own). Easier said than done of course, but we're all mature enough here.

I expect that Cainntear was disagreeing rather vehemently with the suggestions made by Jozen-Bo, which is upsetting and feelings can run high. You're both clearly highly intelligent people and feel strongly about things. That makes it really interesting for readers such as myself, but at the same time there's no need for anyone to upset anyone else!

Jozen-Bo, in my humble opinion you have every right to present these ideas with enthusiasm, and Cainntear, you have every right to oppose them. As I see it, that's what's been happening.

Let's not get upset, but keep the discussion going. I for one am intrigued by the Language Project.

Edited by Pavilion on 30 July 2008 at 2:58pm

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6430 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 47 of 84
30 July 2008 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Jozen-Bo wrote:
Apparition, you are correct about the plane (note that the scientists of their times all called them crazy, said it would never fly, and ridiculed them for having such a "crazy idea", oh, but we don't remember any of their names do we?). However, you are incorrect to call this invention crazy without knowing anything about it or the results it may produce, don't jump the gun. For the most part, I appreciate your good manners, you compose yourself with the basic dignity and respect that a mature adult would.

Cheers to you and may luck find you!

When I say 'crazy', I mean it endearingly. It's 'crazy' in the sense that it's so very different than anything else I've seen. Since I have yet to see if it works, I'm not going to go so far as to call it 'innovative' or anything. I guess I just don't have a neutral way of saying 'very different'.

As for the plane analogy, let's just say I'm waiting to see the plane off the ground. :)

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6795 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 48 of 84
30 July 2008 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Pavilion wrote:
Jozen-Bo, in my humble opinion you have every right to present these ideas with enthusiasm, and Cainntear, you have every right to oppose them.

That's right, but let's keep it civil please otherwise this thread will be closed.

Thank you.

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version