Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Mind Portal...The Language Project!!!

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
84 messages over 11 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 10 11 Next >>
MichaelJ
United States
Joined 5782 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 57 of 84
14 August 2008 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
I wish you best of luck with your project. It would be super-cool if your theories are proven correct. However, if you find yourself just spinning your wheels (pardon the pun but I couldn’t resist), there are some proven methods of learning languages. I am sure this internet community would be happy to give you direction.
1 person has voted this message useful

JimmyJameskun
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5733 days ago

35 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian

Message 58 of 84
15 August 2008 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Mr. Jozen Bo,

I think your ideas are too big for a forum to handle alone. After 8 pages of discussion, this thread is very heavy and
cumbersome to go through at first glance. I see you have argumentative posts, logging posts, and mixed feelings
from your 99% opposed and 1% unopposed followers.

May I suggest starting a journal log on a website? - Even networking sites that allow you to 'blog' would do fine.

Use the forums to discuss, recruit, and defend your experiment. Use your own website to log your data and refer to
this website when people desire to see concrete results.

If you do go through with creating a website, please post it here and edit your first post for easier reference.

JimmyJameskun
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5733 days ago

35 posts - 46 votes
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian

Message 59 of 84
15 August 2008 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Jozen Bo's Mind Portal is definitely pronounced as "odd" but not all of his youtube videos revolve around that idea.

Here is a video of the same utilization of spinning a flat wheel in a circular motion but the design only involves
primary colors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=Jo9nP_-M68Q&feature=related

I find this rather intriguing. It can also be a study of the translation of colors comparing the human eye to the
camera lens. However we only get the perspective of the camera lens since very few of us should ever build such an
experiment.

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5748 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Japanese, Swedish, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 60 of 84
24 August 2008 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
MichaelJ wrote:

I wish you best of luck with your project. It would be super-cool if your theories are proven correct. However, if you find yourself just spinning your wheels (pardon the pun but I couldn’t resist), there are some proven methods of learning languages. I am sure this internet community would be happy to give you direction.

Thank you, I appreciate the warmth of your words. It would be super-cool if it was so simple, but it's not. The processes I am working on are very complex and the chances of failure high. It is hard work trying to put together the word sequences, and making sure they get validated, I must be as resourceful as I can for this.

As, spinning is only a part of the process, which involves combinations of methods, and does not rely on just one. I put a map on a electric motor engine to see what I am dealing with, and everything vanishes into lines, they cannot be read consciously and if the information is trickling into the subconscious...then there is the question as to how to access this, which isn't easy...it's like trying to remember being born...buried stuff.

If this is true, however, then we could test it as follows, have someone enter a room where the wheel is already spinning at a very high rate, too high to see normally, have them observe it for about 30 minutes, they won't be able to consciously recall what they saw aside from blurry lines. Then later have them put into a hypnotic trance by a professional and then question them to see if they can recall the information as it is, if they can, then we have absolute proof that the subconscious mind is able to perceive the subtlety that the conscious misses, if not, then we know better.

My feelings tell me that the subconscious is indeed able to comprehend this information, like it did in the 1910's when marketers where using subliminal blinks of coke and popcorn at movie theaters to induce hunger in the audience. Not one person recalled seeing the blimp, but many of them where affected by it and sells went up. It was so effective that it got outlawed...

What I am trying to do is MIX the methods, that is, I will be observing the information at rates I cannot identify consciously (and perhaps subconsciously too...who knows...?), then I will observe it at rates I can identify...which are slower, then I will rotate the wheel very slowly while reading through the material out loud. This process will be mixed with the proven methods to induce expedited results, so yes I am very interested in those proven methods as well...

I will also be focusing attention to seeking out a means to access the subconscious with greater ease, that I suspect if the bridge between the two hemispheres can be established we could very well be capable of amazing feats...I can make no promises...only efforts...

Thank You,
Jozen-Bo

JimmyJameskun wrote:

Mr. Jozen Bo,

I think your ideas are too big for a forum to handle alone. After 8 pages of discussion, this thread is very heavy and
cumbersome to go through at first glance. I see you have argumentative posts, logging posts, and mixed feelings
from your 99% opposed and 1% unopposed followers.

I agree, I will need to move about, especially when seeking to validate the information I collect to make sure it is correct.

As to me having followers...no...I am not trying to start a cult, I intend to remain in the shadows and have no desire to lead anyone other then myself. So far no one has gotten involved, and if anyone does, then what they do is up to them, if they ask for help, I may or may not provide it depending on what it is they ask of me.

JimmyJameskun wrote:
May I suggest starting a journal log on a website? - Even networking sites that allow you to 'blog' would do fine.

I will consider doing this...

JimmyJameskun wrote:
Use the forums to discuss, recruit, and defend your experiment. Use your own website to log your data and refer to
this website when people desire to see concrete results.

If you do go through with creating a website, please post it here and edit your first post for easier reference.

I have considered beginning my own forums that focus on this, that invite criticisms and useful insights, but it seems like so much work...and as to beginning my own website, it would take much more time then simply beginning a forum, which is something I have very little of...I will be considering how to go about this...

JimmyJameskun wrote:
Jozen Bo's Mind Portal is definitely pronounced as "odd" but not all of his youtube videos revolve around that idea.

Here is a video of the same utilization of spinning a flat wheel in a circular motion but the design only involves
primary colors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=Jo9nP_-M68Q&feature=related

I find this rather intriguing. It can also be a study of the translation of colors comparing the human eye to the camera lens. However we only get the perspective of the camera lens since very few of us should ever build such an
experiment.

I spent a long time studying light...electromagnetic energy...color...and the likes. I have sifted through 1000's of pages on and off the internet in search of answers, and though I've found many, all of them have gaps...something is missing and it is obvious to me by now that we humans here on earth do not understand light as good as we think...

Thank you JimmyJameskun, for you helpful advice and for sharing your thoughts, they are appreciated.

Best Regards,
Jozen-Bo

Edited by Jozen-Bo on 24 August 2008 at 6:01am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5796 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 61 of 84
24 August 2008 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
Jozen-bo,

I thoroughly recommend narrowing the scope of your experiment -- your variables are out of control.

Everything hinges on one factor which you should aim to prove first: the maximum physiological speed of perception is higher than claimed by current neuroscience. If you genuinely wish to prove this, you need to simplify your test set significantly -- introducing language learning at this stage introduces a complicating factor that impedes you from proper examination of your core hypothesis.

There are, furthermore, significant oversimplifications in you justification.

Subliminal ads in cinema reels are static images, thus produce a clear image on the retina. A rapidly spinning disc does not.
The subliminal images were of concrete items, thus rapidly recognisable -- words are an visual abstraction of sound, hence slower to process.
The subliminal images presented a strong contrast to the content of the film reel, so were picked out by the subconscious as important. The content of you wheels will be identified as business-as-usual by the brain.
And finally, the viewer was not consciously aware of the flicker because his eye was accustomed to the flicker of the cinema screen (even now most cinema projectors flicker perceptibly). The medium relied on the conscious mind being tricked into ignoring the change, while leaving the subconscious open to perception. I don't see any mechanism in your proposal that will mimic this subtle (but crucial) effect.

autodidactic
Bilingual Triglot
United States
tinyurl.com/cunningl
Joined 6408 days ago

100 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Kazakh

Message 62 of 84
24 August 2008 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Jozen-Bo wrote:
autodidactic wrote:
Este tipo esta loco.

Gracias por el buen reír!

He dicho suficiente por ahora ...

Vlad wrote:
:-)

(: (: (:

Ah yes, how will your wheel of fortune teach you colloquialism and using language that isn't just direct translations of English phrases? I'm sure you know that language is a lot more dynamic than just word lists. That being said, nobody says "gracias por el buen reir", you could say "gracias por la risada", "gracias por hacerme reir", you could throw "cargajada" onto the table to describe a hysterical laughing fit, etc. "Gracias por el buen reir" is just...No. I didn't invent the concept of laughter or laughing itself, no matter how good it is you cant thank me for it.

Edited by autodidactic on 24 August 2008 at 1:42pm

TerryW
United States
Joined 6142 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 

Message 63 of 84
24 August 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Jozen-Bo wrote:

like it did in the 1910's when marketers where using subliminal blinks of coke and popcorn at movie theaters to induce hunger in the audience. Not one person recalled seeing the blimp, but many of them where affected by it and sells went up. It was so effective that it got outlawed... Jozen-Bo

Not true.

From snopes.com:

Subliminal Movie Popcorn Hoax

http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/popcorn.asp

"Claim: An early experiment in subliminal advertising at a movie theater substantially increased sales of popcorn and Coke." False

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5748 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Japanese, Swedish, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 64 of 84
27 August 2008 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
Yes...let the criticisms pile up here...bring them on!

If this works, it will be even more satisfying later to see them!

If not, then not.

If your trying to convince me to give up without even trying...give it up because nothing anyone says or does will deter me. In fact, your just spurring me on even more.

Regarding what comments have been made, I will get back to them when there is more time!

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version