Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Mind Portal...The Language Project!!!

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
84 messages over 11 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 10 11 Next >>
Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5793 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 65 of 84
29 August 2008 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
Jozen-Bo wrote:
If your trying to convince me to give up without even trying...

My last comment was trying to convince you to try something testable. But feel free to ignore it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5745 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Japanese, Swedish, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 66 of 84
30 August 2008 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
autodidactic wrote:
Jozen-Bo wrote:
autodidactic wrote:
Este tipo esta loco.

Gracias por el buen reír!

He dicho suficiente por ahora ...

Vlad wrote:
:-)

(: (: (:

Ah yes, how will your wheel of fortune teach you colloquialism and using language that isn't just direct translations of English phrases? I'm sure you know that language is a lot more dynamic than just word lists. That being said, nobody says "gracias por el buen reir", you could say "gracias por la risada", "gracias por hacerme reir", you could throw "cargajada" onto the table to describe a hysterical laughing fit, etc. "Gracias por el buen reir" is just...No. I didn't invent the concept of laughter or laughing itself, no matter how good it is you cant thank me for it.

I know, such a translation is off. I will simply ask for help, to make sure the text is used in its correct phrasing. It is easy to generate lists with Google, but as you say, they aren't correct. Once the phrasings have been validated I can then place them into a map. As the first map gets assembled I will place in connecting lines to show how nouns and verbs and what not mix. It will be interesting to see. Spanish is one of the languages of the first set, I should manage to get some help with it.

Cainntear wrote:
Jozen-bo,

I thoroughly recommend narrowing the scope of your experiment -- your variables are out of control.

Everything hinges on one factor which you should aim to prove first: the maximum physiological speed of perception is higher than claimed by current neuroscience. If you genuinely wish to prove this, you need to simplify your test set significantly -- introducing language learning at this stage introduces a complicating factor that impedes you from proper examination of your core hypothesis.

This would be very good to know indeed! I've suggested some ways to test it, buy I can't finance such tests so they aren't happening. If you have some ideas that could be useful I am open ears. As to my language experiment, at this point...I just want to learn the languages for myself...I've been thinking more and more about all the possibilities...how the world would be different to me if I pulled it off. Because I suspect the wheel can be useful for this I will simply try to make it work towards my goals. I figure if I do end up speaking 50 languages (which is absurd...come on...50?), then I be able to speak for myself, to make a pun of words. It would seem to be somehow more useful...I think?

Cainntear wrote:
There are, furthermore, significant oversimplifications in you justification.

Subliminal ads in cinema reels are static images, thus produce a clear image on the retina. A rapidly spinning disc does not.
The subliminal images were of concrete items, thus rapidly recognisable -- words are an visual abstraction of sound, hence slower to process.
The subliminal images presented a strong contrast to the content of the film reel, so were picked out by the subconscious as important. The content of you wheels will be identified as business-as-usual by the brain.
And finally, the viewer was not consciously aware of the flicker because his eye was accustomed to the flicker of the cinema screen (even now most cinema projectors flicker perceptibly). The medium relied on the conscious mind being tricked into ignoring the change, while leaving the subconscious open to perception. I don't see any mechanism in your proposal that will mimic this subtle (but crucial) effect.

These are excellent points. Bravo!!! I can't actually say what the long term effects are, but when you get one of these rolling at motor speed the text vanishes, you see a blur of rings. One interesting question is does the pattern actually disappear or does it simply change into something not so easily recognized by the conscious mind? It would be interesting to hear a physical description on the entire process. I won't be spinning much at such rates myself, I will use slower ones that are easier to follow.

I have by now tested out the first map I made and found that sitting there watching words float by slowly does boost the memory of them, passively and quite relaxing actually. When I spin at faster rates, thats more challenging for my mind, I can monitor and control the level of difficulty. It makes for a fun puzzle! At this point, I am beginning to recognize the words my mind caught in the process as I look at the language, even though I haven't used it for some time.

At this point I'm justing having fun with this project, I am not too concerned with where it is going. Perhaps other projects will deduce other informations. This one hopefully will just help me to acquire basic conversation skills in many different languages, the thought of all those thought processes of sound is interesting.

Cainntear wrote:
Jozen-Bo wrote:
If your trying to convince me to give up without even trying...

My last comment was trying to convince you to try something testable. But feel free to ignore it.

What I am doing IS testable, I am myself going to be testing it for myself. If it works, then I will be developing on it, if not, then crap...I tried. For now, just getting the first map assembled will be enough, though if as I study it I get positive results, then I will be preparing to get the other materials ready in advance without over exerting myself, so I save time. It will be interesting to look into this.

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5745 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 67 of 84
08 April 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I've been without internet for a long time. Finally I am back.

The initial projects I wanted to do I found to be overwhelming on my own, with life's turbulence finding the time is quite difficult.

Now I have decided to prepare one on one maps and begin with a single focus, getting just one map done and working with it to study the results. The selected language I will begin with is Hollandish, because in my current circumstances it is practical.

I have already prepared the text I need translated, containing the lexigraphic words that are used most often. Now I only need find someone who is interested in helping me with this text...the internet is a big place, I feel confident I will manage!

If anyone here speaks that language and would like to help, please let me know and we can arrange something.

If anyone here is interested in helping to prepare other maps, let me know and, again, we can arrange something...there is no point in turning down help for other languages if it should appear...might not be the same situation later...so...

I'll go ahead and post the text in a bit, after I take a nice bath to unwind!

Best Regards,
Jozen-Bo

Miznia
Diglot
United States
Joined 5133 days ago

37 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Cantonese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese

Message 68 of 84
08 April 2010 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Well this is an interesting thread.

Regarding learning (say) 80% of the words used in a bit of text... Yes, that's not too difficult. The sad thing is that the other 20% is crucial to be able to understand what you're reading, and it takes much much more work than the first 80%...

It's not like you will have 80% of the words selected randomly, but 80% of the simplest and most general words...

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 69 of 84
23 April 2011 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Jozen-Bo wrote:
I've been without internet for a long time. Finally I am back.

Welcome back. In the 2 years since the thread began, how much have you learned using your
wheel method? How many words or how many languages has this accelerated method allowed
you to learn?

cntrational
Triglot
Groupie
India
Joined 4909 days ago

49 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Telugu, English*
Studies: French

Message 70 of 84
24 April 2011 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Oh wow, he's back? Time to start making the popcorn...
2 persons have voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5200 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 71 of 84
24 April 2011 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Edit: Redundant message.

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 25 April 2011 at 3:05pm

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5745 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 72 of 84
25 April 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
I'm back again!

I got so caught up in trying to conduct an experiment with mice, working full time, and
being a father and ... I bit off more then I can chew and wore myself out. Life broke
me down, but I keep getting back up. I won't give up on this idea until it is fully
tested and I find it either flops or succeeds.

Unfortunately, I have yet to test this out. I was going to spend this summer working on
gathering objective evidence using the mice, but...I just can't live with so many
freaking mice...and on top of it I went through a very hard heart break, I don't care
to discuss it, but it rocked my head to the point I couldn't think for a while.

I still have 10 mice left over, I kept 2 of the ones with extremely rare gene traits
that even pet store breeders rarely ever see, the exposed generations started turning
over a wider range of genetic variations then the normal groups. I also have 3 runts,
though I am keeping them because they are curious...about the size of a quarter...much
smaller then a normal mouse. I have no idea if I will be picking this project up
anytime soon, though taking care of the mice is easy.. I'm giving myself more time to
clear my head from love

Having more space, I decided I am going to finally get a complete map prepared, and
really get into testing it out. Considering what problems or limits there are to this
system, I will be combining memorization with pronunciation and much listening. I will
also take up any chance I get to talk to anyone who speaks the target language..

And, I will be focusing on a single language at a time, locking down on it before
moving on to the next. If I am not mistaken, each successive language will be learned
faster then the previous...

The target language is French. The other languages to follow...Dutch, Finnish...but
that is irrelevant for the time being (unless my friend sends me the last bit of the
Dutch translations...then I have the material for a full Dutch map...and will have to
re-consider...though until then I am focused on getting a French map ready).

I am much different now then I was when I first came on, I've been working on my
character, to improve myself. I look forward to speaking kindly with anyone here, and
also to getting that map ready and working with it.

I wish you all a great day!

Joseph

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version