Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5532 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Studies: Mandarin, Russian

Message 33 of 44
25 February 2009 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
One thing that I have found useful in separating Spanish and Portuguese is emphasizing pronunciation differences. For example, when I speak portuguese, I try my best to "imitate" a Brazilian from Rio de Janeiro in both my speech pattern and accentuation of individual words. This differs greatly from the Spanish accent I got learning Spanish in Mexico.

Over time I find that you began to associate each language with the accent and the flow in which you speak it.
1 person has voted this message useful

jtmc18
Diglot
United States
Joined 7026 days ago

119 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 34 of 44
26 February 2009 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
Just out of curiosity, how much time does one save learning Portuguese compared to, say German or some other unrelated language, if one already knows considerable Spanish? I do not have the luxury to go to Brazil right now but I have a fairly strong command of Spanish thanks to several extended visits to Mexico. Is it possible to become quite proficient in Portuguese based upon one's knowledge of Spanish even without travel to a Portuguese-speaking country? I am debating whether to take advantage of my knowledge of Spanish to learn another romance language or to study a completely unrelated language to avoid mixing them up. I have a little knowledge of Portuguese already but Spanish is more comfortable for me.

jbbar
Belgium
Joined 5581 days ago

192 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 35 of 44
26 February 2009 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
jtmc18 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how much time does one save learning Portuguese compared to, say German or some other unrelated language, if one already knows considerable Spanish? I do not have the luxury to go to Brazil right now but I have a fairly strong command of Spanish thanks to several extended visits to Mexico. Is it possible to become quite proficient in Portuguese based upon one's knowledge of Spanish even without travel to a Portuguese-speaking country? I am debating whether to take advantage of my knowledge of Spanish to learn another romance language or to study a completely unrelated language to avoid mixing them up. I have a little knowledge of Portuguese already but Spanish is more comfortable for me.

This may be of interest to you.

jbbar

Ponape
Pentaglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5743 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Greek, Basque, Swahili, Tagalog, Arabic (classical), Quechua, Vietnamese, Turkish, Korean, Serbo-Croatian, Hindi

Message 37 of 44
08 March 2009 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
For me, it was easy to learn Portuguese. At the written level, they are very similar. When it comes to the spoken language, it is usually easier for Spanish people to understand the Portuguese from Brazil, as the variety from Portugal tends to reduce more vowels. Even some Brazilian people told me that for them it was sometimes easier to understand a Spanish-speaking person than a person from Portugal.
Interestingly, the Foreign Language Service published a handbook with the title "Portuguese from Spanish" or something like that, downloadable through the FSI language courses web page, which might be interesting for you.
¡Saludos!

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6053 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 38 of 44
08 March 2009 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
When I have watched Brazilian movies, the Portuguese spoken in them seems relatively close to Spanish. But the language of Portuguese films sounds quite different from Spanish.

sprachefin
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5527 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 39 of 44
16 March 2009 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Portuguese seems like an interesting language. I have spent some time in Spain and have picked up SOME Spanish,
but mind you, I'm not fluent. I have the urge to learn Portuguese, but it seems very hard. I find that when I listen to
the Portuguese speak, that there is not a lot of similarity with my limited Spanish. When I met a few Brazilians a
year or two ago, I found that I could understand them a lot easier, but I still couldn't get past the pronunciation.
Again, it was probably just my limited Spanish, but since starting French, I may start to learn Portuguese. Portugal
and Brazil= great vacation destinations.

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5589 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 40 of 44
16 March 2009 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Wow, I love this thread.
I speak Spanish, study Italian and want to study Portuguese more but have been
concerned with the confusion factor.
Confusion seems to happen, like others have said, when I'm unsure of a word in the
target language and accidentally use one from another.

Tadeo wrote:
I would still use an Italian or French word, wrongly thinking that my
Spanish was tricking me! With time, as my P got better, words from the other
languages slipped in less frequently. As simple as that.

The same thing was happening to me! I kept saying "s'il vous plait" instead of "per
favore" (so close to "por favor")! And I haven't studied French since high-school!

I think this is less of a problem the more familiar you get with the target language.
To give the challenge some perspective: its probably easier to learn to keep similar
languages apart than to learn entirely different ones. My main concern now is time. I
feel it takes a good deal of exposure to get good.

Also...
Does anyone else feel they can hear the Gaelic influence in European Portuguese?
This used to baffle me as theres a large Brazilian population in my area and I didn't
think their Portuguese sounded anything like Gaelic. But when I finally heard European
Portuguese it did seem to have some Gaelic sounds.

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version