Joined 5762 days ago

95 posts - 106 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 4
08 August 2008 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
Hello, fellow life-long learners. :)

I'm all for immersion into a new language, so I sometimes just grad an Italian newspaper or a French technical journal, and, of course, stumble across an unfamiliar word quickly. I usually don't have a dictionary with me, and carrying two or three (or six, as some people on this forum would have to!) is out of the question.

So, I've seen some cell phone (Java based) dictionaries. I've tried OmniDic, Pons, I tried to run LingoPad ... the only one able to give you access to more than one language is OmniDic. And it sucks. I mean, come on ... it can't translate "attimo" from Italian into English? Are you serious?

My question to you is: Does anyone know of a good, easy to use, Java based cell phone dictionary?

Thanks,

Autarkis
1 person has voted this message useful

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5890 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 4
08 August 2008 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
I second this question,I would also like to find out about this.

TEL

twidener
United States
Joined 5770 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 4
08 August 2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
If you have a jailbroken or pwned iPhone or iPod Touch, you can download a program called weDict to your phone/touch. You then download the dictionary/thesauruas you want to run with the program. They have French to English, English to French dictionary, Japanese, Webster's Dictionary, Law Dictionaries, Thesaurus, etc. I haven't been able to locate the Spanish/English dictionary yet. Still searching the program depositories.

Tito66
United States
Joined 5764 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Spanish

Message 4 of 4
16 August 2008 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
I saw this IPhone Spanish English dictionary:
http://m.askvelazquez.com

It's from Velazquez Spanish and English dictionary, and they are very reputable.

Edited by Tito66 on 16 August 2008 at 11:16pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version