Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 8
10 August 2008 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
I thought I would leave my own learning log here. I tell myself it is for motivation (and not procrastination) but I do seem to lose an awful lot of time on this site.

I have been seriously working on Japanese for nearly a month now. My resources at the moment are Pimsleur and Genki I. I have been inputting vocabulary, kanji, verb conjugations and sentences from Genki into Anki as I go along. I try and do one Pimsleur lesson and one session reviewing flashcards every day as a minimum, then work from Genki on top of that (at the moment I seem to be making my way through one chapter a week). I'm just finishing up Chapter 4 of Genki and am scheduled to do my 25th Pimsleur later today.

I am finding reading quite an effort and seem to get tired doing it very quickly - I think because I have to make such a conscious effort to remember the sounds of the kana which I obviously don't have to do when reading English. I know this will get better with time and practice, but I am finding it quite frustrating at the moment.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 2 of 8
12 August 2008 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
I made a start on Chapter 5 of Genki yesterday and am still up to date with Pimsleur and Anki. I started a new job today (after a few months out of work) so it will be interesting to see to what extent I am able to keep up with the language studies from now on.

polikaru
United Kingdom
Joined 5959 days ago

206 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Dutch

Message 3 of 8
12 August 2008 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Keep going. =)

polikaru

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 4 of 8
15 August 2008 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
I managed to finish part one of Pimsleur today, so that's one month of study done. I am managing to keep to the minimum study I set myself however it's taking me a lot longer to work through Genki now - I'm still trying to get the vocabulary to stick for chapter 5. Hopefully with time and sleep over the weekend I'll be able to catch up a little bit there.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 5 of 8
25 August 2008 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Today I finished Chapter 5 of Genki. It's taken me a lot longer than I would have liked to get through - particularly getting vocabulary to stick and also handling the past conjugation for adjectives (normally learning these kinds of patterns isn't too hard for me but I guess I was having a bad week). I also felt I hit a bit of a wall on the Pimsleur lessons a few days ago but I've kept plodding through it and everything seems to be fitting together again now. Having the Bank Holiday weekend has helped immensely as I've been able to set aside a few hours each day to study when I'm at my most alert, rather than just when I have the time.

I keep telling myself that once I've finished Chapter 6, I'll be halfway through my first textbook and am finding that quite motivating.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 6 of 8
30 August 2008 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Well now I have finished Chapter 6. I am also exactly half way through Pimsleur II. So far the grammar isn't giving me too much trouble although I make the odd mistake through carelessness - the constructions so far are pretty straightforward however. The real problem I'm having is getting the vocabulary into my brain and I think there is no easy solution there.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 7 of 8
14 September 2008 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
I finished Chapter 7 a couple of days ago and am nearly finished with the speaking/listening bit in Chapter 8, which seemed to be somewhat easier for me than the previous few chapters and has provided some welcome reassurance in a way! Will also be listening to the final Pimsleur Part II lesson today.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 8 of 8
08 November 2008 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Wow so it's been a while since my last post but I'm still studying. I finished Genki I and Pimsleur in the middle of October. I decided not to go straight onto Genki II just yet as I'd put quite a bit of vocab from the last couple of chapters onto my Anki and was experiencing a bit of flashcard fatigue. I picked up a book for the JLPT level 4. I don't intend on sitting the exam but it's useful to go through the example sentences and pick up the odd bit of vocabulary that I don't know at a slower pace and reinforcing the grammar I've already covered.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version