languagelearners.myf
Joined 5775 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 49 of 138
06 May 2009 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Spanky,

LOL. I am sure that you have earned senior membership. I hope that your 100th post is a nice big update on how awesome the first four months of the year were for you language wise.

Your motivational master,

Thom.
1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 50 of 138
08 May 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Thanks ExtraLean as usual,

Nope, over the last few weeks I have mostly just been lurking threads, learning a fair bit about the social fabric of the community here but in terms of my own study, I have been dragging my sorry butt considerably. No real French or Japanese study at all since the hockey playoffs started, though I have picked up some random words from the Goon language through osmosis in watching some of the games (and have observed the fans of our most bitter rivals learning the language of Disappointment one agonizing game at a time).

Will be getting back to studying pretty soon. Am getting sent up to the hinterland for four days next week for work (I expect as punishment for some imagined slight) and will have a lot of time on my hands and few distractions, so back to it soon.

Edited by Spanky on 08 May 2009 at 8:26am

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 51 of 138
22 May 2009 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Approximately eleven weeks left in my French language acquisition year.    An estimated 300-325 hours of study remaining to get through the primary learning resources listed below, so need approximately 26 - 28 hours of study per week from now through to the end of the first week in August, when I intend to switch over (on August 11th) to learning German as my primary study activity, while continuing to expand my knowledge of French through radio, TV, books and conversation where possible.    

Let me say this as clearly and firmly as I can: there is no freakin' way I am going to study 26-28 hours per week on a continuing basis , particularly given my track record recently.   So, I am destined to bring shame on myself, family, gender, country and species.   

Will revert to daily logs for the time being as an incentive to get at least something done each day, with the exception of those days I am out of town and away from computer access. Will keep track of my hours of active studying, possibly counting down from the estimated 325 active study hours required.   I may also keep track (for motivation purposes) of the hours spent listening to French language TV or radio broadcasts or other audio material for that time actually spent trying to figure out and follow along rather than just having it as background noise.

The primary learning material I would like to complete prior to switching over to German at the end of my French acquisition year includes the following:

Pimsleur II and III (have completed up to unit 14 from Pimsleur II, but will be reviewing the last few units again)

FSI Basic (I have grown to hate this material, but not doing it seems like a bit of a cop-out, so I am hoping to just man up and muscle through it.)

FIA - just the video portions. Am through video 4 at present.

CIG (Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning French) - have worked through up to chapter 11

French.about.com - continue to work through most of the basic stuff

Frenchpod101 - the lower intermediate units - have worked through a few but lots left to go through

BBC internet material (French Steps, Talk French, Ma France and French Experiences)

Possibly MT Advanced and Vocabulary Builder.

Le petit prince (read and listen). Previously finished chapter 1 before putting it aside. Will probably leave this as year 2 material for build/maintain purposes.

Edited by Spanky on 22 May 2009 at 6:57am

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5775 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 52 of 138
22 May 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
This is my mandatory post of encouragement.

Thom.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 53 of 138
23 May 2009 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
Thanks ExtraLean,

I am generally against detailed timekeeping or counting the hours, mais malheureusement, c'est comme ça maintenant.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 54 of 138
23 May 2009 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
Pimsleur II, reviewing unit 10

Frenchpod101 - two lower intermediate units

french.about.com - working through week 3 basic study units: Telling Time; Averbes de Temps; Il y a; Depuis v. Il y a; Depuis v. Pendant v. Pour

Anki - entering words and phrases accumulated on bits of paper over time from a variety of sources, and some Anki drilling

miscellaneous media: TV morning news and morning show (recognized the words "Barack" and "Obama" and not a whole bunch more than that).

Study: 2.25 hours
Remaining: 322.75 hours
Media: 0.5 hours

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 55 of 138
25 May 2009 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Away this weekend with the family visiting Osoyoos, spur of the moment car trip. Study time pretty limited, partly because it would have been selfish to spend much time studying, and partly because I believe my brain got baked by the sun.   

Spent a few unsuccessful minutes earlier today trying to speak French with the two bears we saw in Manning Park - either my accent was off (unlikely) or these particulars bears simply did not understand French.

Pimsleur II, unit 11
CIG, working on chapter 12
Le petit prince – listened to first four chapters (audio only – reasonable oral recognition, given that I had superficially read through chapters 1 to 3 some time ago).
Anki – addition of new material and review

Media - rien

Study (over both weekend days): - 2.75 hours
Remaining: 320 hours
Media: 0.5 cumulative hours

Edited by Spanky on 26 May 2009 at 8:16am

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 56 of 138
26 May 2009 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Pimsleur II, unit 12
Anki - more additions and reviewing

Media: morning news: La Corée du Nord a annoncé avoir effectué, avec succès, un nouvel essai nucléaire, en dépit des pressions internationales. Also watched, in French with French subtitles, some of No Country for Old Men (Non, ce pays n'est pas pour le vieil homme), par les frères Coen.

- À vous de jouer. Annoncez.
- C'est-à-dire, il faudrait que je sache ce qu'il y a à gagner.
- Tout. Vous avez tout à gagner.
- D'accord. Face alors?
- Bien joué.

Study: 1.25 hours
Remaining: 318.75 hours
Media (cumulative): 1.5 hours

Edited by Spanky on 26 May 2009 at 8:35am

This discussion contains 138 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version