United States
Joined 5897 days ago

413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 3
13 August 2008 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
I started seriously using it about 2 months ago, and although I really loved the amount of content, I don't think I used it properly. I went through lessons way too quickly, and didn't put enough energy into the exercises.

I'm curious how other Russian learners used the course. It seems that it's important that I take my time, so from now on I'll just do one lesson per day. How do you guys incorporate review (ie. how long do you go before reviewing, or do you just keep pushing forward without formally reviewing old lessons?)

1 person has voted this message useful

rob
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5975 days ago

287 posts - 288 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 2 of 3
13 August 2008 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
The maker of the course recommends that one lesson take 2 days, i.e. you do one lesson on the first day, then review it on the second day. As much of the material builds on the previous lessons, I don't think you'll need to continually review previous lessons, provided you are doing something else with Russian in order to get more natural exposure. I guess it also depends on your current level. Perhaps if you're not a complete beginner then doing 1 lesson in 2 days might be a bit tedious...

chelovek
Diglot
United States
Joined 5897 days ago

413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 3
14 August 2008 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I'm at an intermediate level. I did a lesson yesterday, redid it today, and now I'm doing another one.

I finally took the time to go through the Slav 101 files and find an explanation for their verb system. I had kind of just shrugged it off and and tried to pick it up passively, but wow...they have a really effective system. You take 20-30 minutes to read over the lessons on verbs (Lesson 16 and 18 have the 1st and 2nd conjugation verbs), and from then on you can easily know a verb's conjugation and stress patterns just by looking at one form. (As opposed to just getting the infinitive, which really doesn't tell you much)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version