Groupie
United States
Joined 5850 days ago

77 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Russian, Ancient Greek

Message 1 of 5
15 August 2008 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
I am looking for opinions on the best German grammar book. I have Essential German Grammar by Durrell and was
also thinking of German Quickly. Any suggestions?
1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6262 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 2 of 5
15 August 2008 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
If you're going for comprehensive coverage, rather than just the basics, I'd say that the best grammar text for German is Hammer's German Grammar and Usage. It's a massive book, and I've yet to hit any grammar question that it didn't answer.

daristani
United States
Joined 6960 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 3 of 5
15 August 2008 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
I'll second Hammer for completeness of coverage. There are now several editions, the later ones having been edited/updated by Durrell. Although in some ways I prefer the original Hammer text, you can also get workbooks with exercises to go together with the newer editions, which can be very helpful in making sure the grammar points sink in. (I don't know how much the different editions really differ from one another, and I think that any of them would essentially be just as useful as any other, although if you should want to get the workbook as well, it would probably make sense to be sure that the edition of the workbook matches that of the reference grammar.)

Felixelus
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6654 days ago

237 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 5
16 August 2008 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
Personally I find the Schaum's outline series good. It's nice and simple with plenty of examples and exercises you can work through.

chelovek
Diglot
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 5
16 August 2008 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
http://www.amazon.com/German-Speak-Write-Beginners-Guides/dp /0486202712/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218906463&s r=8-1

Great book. I don't recall just how much grammar it covers, but it's a great choice for someone studying German. If you want a good grammar book, you might be best off with Schaum's. That's certainly comprehensive.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version