Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6816 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 19
22 January 2006 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the review Aaron, sounds like it would be a good read.

Bill, have you finished negotiating overseas rights? I know it's available on your website but will it be on sale on Amazon UK (or elsewhere in Europe) any time soon?

Edited by patuco on 22 January 2006 at 7:41am

1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6947 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 10 of 19
22 January 2006 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Aaron.

I was interested by your comparison with Barry Farber's book. It seems to be unavailable in Australia. Where did you get your copy? I got mine from a bookstore in Singapore.

My publisher thought it was good that the book isn't available in Australia. They thought it would compete with my book. I told my publisher that I thought the books complement each other and each would probably help the sales of the other.

His book did inspire me to finally complete my book and offer it to my publisher. I began the outline years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed Farber's book and I enjoyed his style. I have another similar book written by an Australian in the early eighties, Teach Yourself a Foreign Language Quickly by Emmanuel Azzopardi, and while it had some good ideas (although he opposed buying any recorded language courses) it's approach was much more serious.

While I kept in mind what both authors had written, my book is quite different to both. Being part of this forum has made clear the different learning styles and personalities of language learners and enthusiasts.

One thing we three authors have in common is the advice to take control of your language learning for yourself and the use of several textbooks and programs.

Azzopardi recommended learning passively at a fast rate to begin your study, then to follow up with a more serious study of grammar and the mechanics of the language. He was a language teacher and decided to look at learning a language from a student's point of view. He studied three languages in Four years and passed university entrance exams in each. He learnt German, Spanish and Russian, so they were unrelated languages (or, not closely related). I read his book about 25 years ago and was intrigued that his recommendations were so close to what I was actually doing without a conscious plan to do so.

So his book gave me the impetus to write down my own methods for language study and Barry Farber inspired me to actually write my book.

owshawng
United States
Joined 6687 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 19
22 January 2006 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
Thank you, Aaron.

I was interested by your comparison with Barry Farber's book. It seems to be unavailable in Australia. Where did you get your copy? I got mine from a bookstore in Singapore.

I'm an American living temporarily in Australia. I picked up my copy of Farber's book on a visit home last year.

Quote:
My publisher thought it was good that the book isn't available in Australia. They thought it would compete with my book. I told my publisher that I thought the books complement each other and each would probably help the sales of the other.

I also think they complement each other. I think Farber's is probably half motivational/half method and advice. His book also has a big section giving a general description of several languages and the pros and cons and challenges for studying them. Yours doesn't have a section like that, instead you have a big section listing about 250 survival phrases you need to learn and another one on the internet. Yours also has a smaller chapter on key verbs, nouns, and other high frequency words.

You both reccommend using multiple sources, and some similiar study methods, like recapturing lost time. I think you even use the sample example for the Indonesian word orang. However, there are definitely enough differences to say these books complement one another.

Cheers (I'm picking up a bit of Australian while I'm over here)

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6878 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 12 of 19
30 January 2006 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Liked it a lot fanatic!

Whilst there were things I had read or learnt elsewhere, there were still some things I took away from the book that I'm sure to try out for myself. Even gave me a few laughs (such as the ice-cream story and the control/monitor false-friend).

I won't give a detailed review since ownshawng has already done that, but I can go as far as to recommend it to others. Basically, anyone that has read Farber's book will enjoy FEW.

I'm sure that it will sit proudly on my linguistic shelf for many years.

Edited by andee on 30 January 2006 at 7:20pm

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6947 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 

Message 13 of 19
10 March 2006 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
The library system has invited me to give a series of lectures on the Fast Easy Way to Learn a Language. I gave the first lecture (I think the content was OK but the delivery needs some polishing up) and the coordinator for the region sat in. She is the one who makes the decisions for library programs. She got someone from the library to phone me to say she is away for the rest of the week but could they organize another six programs? She told me my talks on mathematics are already booked out. They can only take between eighty and one hundred people in their programs so it isn't a huge number.

It dawned on me during my talk that none of the information I give is taught in schools. You can freely find a lot of help from this forum and there are a number of people who give their stories on the Internet, but you won't learn it in school. I think that is tragic.

I have finally figured out how to get over the problem with PayPal and I now offer it on my site. I am still waiting for the English division of Wiley to get back to me about a publishing date. I will email them and ask what is happening.

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6893 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 14 of 19
10 March 2006 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
I have finally figured out how to get over the problem with PayPal and I now offer it on my site.

Thanks, I just bought a copy, can't wait to read it.

Will
United States
Joined 6739 days ago

165 posts - 165 votes 

Message 15 of 19
12 March 2006 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Edited: I originally posted Barry Farber's contact information here. I am now deleting the information since the person I wanted to see it (Fanatic), has seen it.

Edited by Will on 17 March 2006 at 4:20pm

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6947 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 

Message 16 of 19
13 March 2006 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the information about Barry Farber. I have now read some of his articles (too hot to discuss here) and I have emailed him.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version