United States
Joined 5727 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 1 of 4
16 August 2008 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I am looking for a Japanese to English (and visa versa) dictionary online. Despite searching, i cant seem to find one
that's not completely written in Japanese. I'm just beginning learning, so i need something a little easier for me to
use. Also, is there a way to look up the kanji for a word written in kana? for example, i wrote pan, which i think
means bread, but when i type it on a computer, lots of kanji come up, each with a different meaning. Is there a
dictionary that is free online that is good and will help me with my problem?

Thanks for your help,
Ocvv

ありがとうございます。(i hope i wrote that right :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

rob
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5946 days ago

287 posts - 288 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 2 of 4
16 August 2008 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
jisho.org is the best dictionary I know of. If you type a word in in Hiragana, it'll come up with the kanji for you, starting with the most common word first.

Incidentally, "pan" is written in katakana - パン and never kanji. But if you typed in ぱん in the "Japanese" box of jisho.org it'd convert it into katakana when giving you the dictionary entry.

Whilst it's great for Japanese to English translation, the English to Japanese isn't actually so good, but as I said it's the best resource if you're doing J-E

Edited by rob on 16 August 2008 at 9:04pm

leosmith
United States
Joined 6331 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 3 of 4
16 August 2008 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
WWWJDIC

Rekunoto
United States
Joined 5956 days ago

104 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 4
16 August 2008 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
I also recommend Jisho.org and the Yahoo Japanese-English dictionary. I used them both back when I used Japanese-English dictionaries. I never used the WWWJDIC, but it is supposedly a great place to find readings for Japanese names.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version