Portugal
Joined 5721 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 9 of 39
29 August 2008 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Oh no, I must stay focused... must...stay...focused... O.o

I'm currently more actively studying Finnish and Japanese, leaving Russian to be just a mere curiosity now and then, for now, until I can decently have constant practice in both Finnish and Japanese (I tend to get carried away by something else...).

But now I really am considering taking up German as well! I blame professor Argüelles (I think that's how it's spelled?)! =P Watching his videos on Youtube just made me want to learn German (not that I hadn't considered it before but was finding it easy to pay no mind to it)...!

And also, French was something I had considered going back to study for awhile now, but now the practicality of it keeps coming up more and more, and I feel I HAVE to study it!

Oh gosh, I already think 2 languages at same time is too much for me... but I just can't resist... now adding 2 more! I can't, I can't...

Must...resist...must...stay...focused!
1 person has voted this message useful

hyij
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5717 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, Mandarin, English
Studies: Finnish, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 39
30 August 2008 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
I often feel the same, impatient and tempted by other languages, (I think most language learners do). But if I were you I'd probably stick blindly with Finnish, since it seems to be the language you'd most directly be able to make good use of! :)

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5721 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 

Message 11 of 39
30 August 2008 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
Thanks so much for the feedback! =)

Until 5 minutes ago I had decided (since I am able to acquire both German and French Michel Thomas series) to go for French - I figured if I was taking something up I might as well get basic fluency on the language I already know a bit about and don't consider it hard at all, while with German I have no experience with.

I guess because of the reviews I heard of Michel Thomas series, I was thinking it was something I could take lightly when I didn't feel like being at the desk and just sit back on the bed and study with the tapes.

Now your feedback "brought be back to reality" and I'm not so sure I should be mixing this in at all...

But it is very tempting, I always regret not continuing my studies of French (only had 2 middle school years of French which brought me to Intermediate stage, but should have at least continued with self-study on it - but I was a child...heh).

So I am still very much considering the possibilities. I would like to be able to study Finnish only, but with so little materials available to me (I don't even have the grammar anymore...) it can get a bit boring, and I am still revising my ways of going about Japanese, my current approach obviously sucks...

I am very interested in Michel Thomas series, would like to know how exactly it works and how/if I can use it just very lightly. Just afraid that if I try... I won't be able to let go of that language, even if the method doesn't work for me.
This is why I don't like forums. >.< I get soooo distracted and captivated by how the other learners go about learning the languages, what they study and such, that I keep changing my way of doing things (which can be a good thing) and just trailing off my path and ending up by delaying my studies completely...

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5721 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 

Message 12 of 39
30 August 2008 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
I have pretty much decided that I will go through some of the earlier lessons of Michel Thomas French and see how it is and how I like it. If I do enjoy it and can make progress with it I might just start "flirting" with Japanese for awhile. I believe that by tackling French, since I believe it's a much easier language for me, when/if I get to basic fluency or even advanced fluency, I will gain the confidence to be able to more seriously approach Japanese and even Finnish.

Hope this works out. Though since I already know a bit of French and it's not a language I'm super passionate about or anything, I'm tempted to go German, but, obviously, since my goal is build up my confidence in learning languages, it might be better to go with something I'm familiar and thus, can progress faster on it.

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5721 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 

Message 13 of 39
30 August 2008 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
Finished the first tape of the Workbook, which covers Part One, Sequence One and about half of Sequence Two of the Pronunciation part.

Was a bit disappointed when it ended, but decided it might be best to stop altogether now and continue with next tape tomorrow since I keep yawning a lot now anyway. Might be best to just go rest now.

But this did get me very excited though. First Part was a bit boring in the beginning, but by the end and now on Part Two it became harder and sentences longer and I start feeling more at ease while speaking them. So I am happy. ^^

Also put the Part One dialog on Anki (though Anki is seriously annoying me with the ton of folders and files it's spreading around different parts of my computer...) and will put Part Two dialog now as well. I never worked much with an SRS, but figured I'd give it a try.

Edit: Added the rest of the dialog to Anki, making a total of 13 cards, both sides, which makes 26 things I'll be tested on. I have not figured out how Anki does the back to front cards yet... When I make the cards I put it so it automatically does Front to Back and Back to Front, but so far only have been tested one Front to Back. Except one time when I made an initially stack of 5 cards, both sides, and at first was only Front to Back, but then I exited Anki and entered it again, and it made the Back to Front questions. So I don't quite get it. But keeping on with it...

Edit: Mistake in the parts of the workbook.

Edited by sei on 02 September 2008 at 8:53pm

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5721 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 

Message 14 of 39
01 September 2008 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
Yesterday only wrote the dialogs I had studied so far in my notebook and cleared some questions I had with a native speaker.

Was a busy and tiring day and I just couldn't find it in myself to study anymore at night.

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5721 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 

Message 15 of 39
01 September 2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
If anyone has noticed, I keep changing the title of the Log. Sorry about that, I'm just not very pleased with the titles so far.

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5721 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 

Message 16 of 39
02 September 2008 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Finished whole Part One now.

Was being very lazy all of the day, wanting to study Finnish but at the same time wanting to watch just one more episode of the anime (it's always just one more... till you notice 8 hours have passed...). I told myself I was "practicing" Japanese and Spanish by watching anime with Spanish subtitles... >.< (though I surprised myself with how little effort I had to make to read those subtitles - even forgot I was reading another language).

But anyway, in the end I had to stay up just a little more to study that little bit and finish this part of the workbook, because, well... I do have to update this log with my progress! I realized this really is great to keep me going even if I still do slack a lot. >.<

Will just go over Anki cards and then... off to bed.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version