Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5728 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 33 of 39
17 September 2008 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
So today I did do some work. I printed out, maybe half of the Unit I, had to manually do some changes to some of the pages due to the person blacking out the pictures instead if whitening them out.... But anyway, I got them ready and printed.

I started with the tape and ran through it as it went over the expressions in the first 2 pages and then vocabulary words over the next few pages. I think I'll put some of these expressions into Anki. I was thinking of putting only phrases/expressions, but I might consider putting some of the vocabulary words too. I'll see.

After listening to those (which still took awhile), I read the dialog and listened to it a couple of times looking at the English side and another couple of times looking at the Finnish side. Basically, doing as instructed.

After that, I did the 2 exercises which involved changes made to the main dialog and so. Was also going to do the last exercise, but then my boyfriend arrived... ^^

Might still do them today, or I might just go through Anki and then sleep, probably only doing it tomorrow.

Ah, also learned some things and took some doubts I had with my boyfriend.

Overall, I think it was a nice study day, even though I spend 4 hours in a line waiting to deliver some university papers....

Edit: Typos.

Edited by sei on 18 September 2008 at 4:57am

1 person has voted this message useful

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5728 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 

Message 34 of 39
18 September 2008 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Just a quick update.

I ended up finishing the exercise after all yesterday and also going through Anki.

Today though, I ended up not doing much, and I blame myself entirely again... I think I will still write down the dialog I read yesterday, but that should be about it.

I must work harder tomorrow!

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5728 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 

Message 35 of 39
19 September 2008 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Even though I didn't exactly do any real textbook study today, it was a good study day in my opinion. I took several question with my boyfriend and his friend and listened to them talking in Finnish A LOT. I couldn't understand it of course, but the input is nice I think.

I had a talk with my boyfriend about the Colloquial Finnish used in FSI. The book says beginners should focus on that version... But we came to the conclusion it'd be best for me to study through the Standard version, as later on it's easier to recognize the colloquial forms.

So that's it for today. Tomorrow I'll be starting my violin classes and perhaps beginning to play Warhammer with my boyfriend and his friend... So study time might be cut down a lot. Not mentioning school starts on Monday and my schedule is really tight this year, with even a 9 hour internship every Thursday squeezed in... I'm guessing I'll be having loads of work...

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5728 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 

Message 36 of 39
20 September 2008 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
So since school starts on Monday, this weekend is my last day of holidays... Which sort of made me slack. I had my violin lesson in the morning and my tutor did give me quite a bit of homework I'll have to practice constantly during the week, so I'll really have to manage my time better from now on.

I also took longer at the gym today and was playing all day mostly... so even though I did mentally kept thinking I needed to study some Finnish, I didn't want to leave what I was doing either... I'd study now, but I don't want to get used to going to be late again, so I'll have to go to bed.

I'll try and rearrange my priorities tomorrow. I'm not having violin class or going to the gym, so I should be able to study for an hour or more.

Edit: Since my current Anki cards already were being delayed for one month or more, I really needed to had new material. I had already previously selected new greetings I wanted to add, so I just quickly added them now. 14 new cards.

Edited by sei on 20 September 2008 at 7:43pm

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5728 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 

Message 37 of 39
22 September 2008 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Have been very busy with school things to study much today. Basically these past two days I have been working with Anki, adding more cards, reading through the dialogs again as I try and select what I want to put in the cards, etc etc.

I had to do some violin study today, and my head was hurting a bit, so now I reviewed new cards in Anki, added a few more and unfortunately can't do much more today, I need to hit the bed for the night...

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5728 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 

Message 38 of 39
25 September 2008 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
I was in a hurry to go to bed yesterday because I was feeling so sleepy, so I ended up not posting. What I did yesterday was review around 17 cards in Anki. I didn't do much more than that. Today I have a free day so I should be able to do more study, as well as practice the violin.

Let's hope I don't get lazy. =P

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5728 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 

Message 39 of 39
15 October 2008 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
Yep... I have been away for long haven't I?

School started... I got a huge load of papers to do right on the first week... When I get home all I want to do is lay back and relax. So it has been hard to do any studying. I took a break of like a week and then I started checking some things again. Found one Finnish grammar in my university library, but it's way too complicated for me.

I have to go through Anki, which I kinda stopped going to for awhile. And see if I get back onto the book.

I'm still pretty busy overall, but I do want to be able to talk some things with my boyfriend, so I'm not about to quit ever.

I apologize to those who read this log. ^^

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version