Diglot
United States
Joined 5755 days ago

30 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 13
23 August 2008 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
I would like to know if anyone can speak from experience on what benefits, if any, can be drawn from listening to your target language when you can understand NOTHING of what is being said, not even a single word. Does it help to get accustomed to the sound of the language? Does it make it easier to get pronunciation right later when you get down to studying the language?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5770 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 13
23 August 2008 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
In general, I doubt it.

If I listen to something in an entirely alien language, it's all just ish-osh-oosh to me.

It isn't until I start to be able to pronounce the sounds myself that my mind tends to make any effort to understand what the ear is hearing.

qklilx
United States
Joined 5945 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 13
23 August 2008 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Mezzofanti supposedly did it to learn the rhythms and intonations of the languages he would prepare himself to learn, so I think if you have a good enough ear, and perhaps a few languages already in your store, it might be a somewhat useful technique.

hyij
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5696 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, Mandarin, English
Studies: Finnish, Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 13
23 August 2008 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
I'd say don't put too much faith in it. In the beginning stages listening to the target language now and then is all well and good, but it's not gonna do you any miracles.

However, when you you're at a level where you can start guessing meanings, the more listening the better.

alfajuj
Diglot
Taiwan
Joined 5970 days ago

121 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Taiwanese, French

Message 5 of 13
24 August 2008 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
It's only useful for getting a feel for the rhythm and intonation of the target language. That isn't unimportant but I would suggest that you shouldn't put too much time into it.
For example, you could put on some kind of talk shows in the target language on web radio while you're doing other things on your computer.

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5784 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 6 of 13
24 August 2008 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
It does help to growing accustomed to the language and the sounds of it. Also, it depends if the language is close to a language you know or not. As I heard Danish for the first time, I hardly understood a single word. Yet, as I already understood a bit of Norwegian and Swedish, the Danish sounds gradually became understandable.

I'd suggest to do as alfajuj proposes: listen with half an ear whilst doing something more useful.

Javi
Spain
Joined 5740 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 7 of 13
24 August 2008 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
Deleted message.

Edited by Javi on 24 August 2008 at 6:32am

Autarkis
Triglot
Groupie
Switzerland
twitter.com/Autarkis
Joined 5711 days ago

95 posts - 106 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 8 of 13
24 August 2008 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
I don't believe it does anything besides upping your adrenaline and thus your frustration. However, it might also up your frustration tolerance to the sounds. So if you'd have to learn a language the sounds of which would offend you, you could get used to the sound of it this way. I mean, it's really quite comparable to listen to monkeys arguing in the zoo. ;) No offense intended!

From the point of view of comprehension, I'm pretty sure nothing at all is to be gained.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version