Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
97 messages over 13 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 12 13 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 97
03 September 2008 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Sybaritic wrote:
Iversen,
What do you think about learning Spanish from TV if you are at native or near-native in English?

I don't believe in miracles. You can certainly understand some single words because Spanish has adopted many words from English, and you may be able to identify and guess the meaning of a few very common words, but you will soon get bored when you can't follow the flow of talking, and then you will just give up watching and find something different to do. Or you will fall asleep. The problem is that English and Spanish aren't sufficiently mutually intelligible. I guess that Portuguese, Spanish and Catalan speakers over a period of several years could learn to understand each other's TV programs, and the same applies to speakers of subgroups within the Slavonic languages, but English and Spanish - no way.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 97
04 September 2008 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Sybaritic wrote:
What about once you reach an intermediate level in Spanish by other means?

As soon as you you can understand to some extent what is being said you can benefit from watching. If you watch enough you will eventually understand almost everything. But it still doesn't guarantee that you can speak the language and even less write it - turning a passive (and predominantly auditive) language into an active language is a task in itself. However using heavy TV watching as an addition to your 'other means' is certainly a good idea.

Above I used the other Nordic languages as an illustration to the process of learning a related language purely through passive means. I could mention Portuguese and Dutch as languages where watching lots of internet TV has been very important in my learning process. In the case of Dutch I had been reading snippets here and there, I had done my word lists and read some grammar - . Then almost overnight I discovered that I could understand AVRO Museum TV (still my main source), and from that moment it suddenly made sense to watch even more Museum TV. But my active Dutch is still somewhat influenced by German patterns, which illustrates the problems of turning a passive language into an active one. And learning a language passively from watching television through another language WILL result in a passive language heavily influence by the 'gate' language.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 97
04 September 2008 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Sybaritic wrote:
Interesting. Do you have any specific techniques you find useful for turning passive skills into active speaking
skills?

Not really, the important thing is to start thinking, speaking and writing the other language - then you will inevitably become painfully aware of your shortcomings and do whatever you can to bridge the gap. And the methods you use for this are exactly the same that you would normally use to learn a language. The only difference is that having a solid passive background in the language will speed up the process.

EDIT; Sybaritic asked me whether I had any special advice for the person who already had some passive skills in a language and wanted to become an active speaker.

Edited by Iversen on 11 December 2010 at 6:34pm

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6207 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 23 of 97
05 September 2008 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
chelovek wrote:
This seems to be a common thing that non-native speakers say. In particular I remember hearing some foreign celebrity claiming to have learned English from watching The Price is Right.

Is English just incredibly easy, are these people full of it, or are they leaving out major details? I mean, I watch Russian TV shows and movies pretty frequently, and although I pick up new things here and there, I have to improve the bulk of my vocabulary through actual learning resources. The general consensus in that old "Listen Only" thread was that it would take around 1000 hours of TV shows/movies before you'd know the language.

Even people that get lots of English media subtitled into their language for several years (ie. the Dutch) don't actually know the language...it just helps them out when they do decide to learn it.

What do you guys think? Has anyone here really gotten to fluency just from watching TV? (Either from a beginner level, or from a more advanced level)

I did it with Italian and to a lesser degree with German. I think it took thousands of hours per language but I wasn't keeping count nor was I consciously trying to study. It is important to follow up with extensive reading. I intend to learn Spanish this way.
1 person has voted this message useful

Autarkis
Triglot
Groupie
Switzerland
twitter.com/Autarkis
Joined 5712 days ago

95 posts - 106 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 24 of 97
06 September 2008 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Actually, I did a part of my current French watching quiz shows. What occured to me was that quiz shows are very formulaic.

"Bienvenu chez 'Questions pour un champion'. Voilà le champion!" (Questions pour un champion)

or

"Et qui veut prendre sa place? C'est Dominique!" (Tout le monde veut prendre sa place.)

or

"Le compte est juste." (Chiffres et lettres)

It's always the same phrases, making quiz shows some kind of paradoxically fun language drill. I guess the new opium for the masses in all its repetitive glory has some benefits after all! :D

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 97 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version