Triglot
United States
Joined 5228 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 41 of 97
23 February 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
I wish I could have learned Aramaic by watching the Passion of the Christ (although I did understand some Latin words).
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5905 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 42 of 97
23 February 2010 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
I'm convinced that some people do learn this way, because I lived with one. I've met them online and I believe their stories. And those people who do just pick up language from media, every one, has been simply dumbfounded that the rest of us struggle with grammar, vocabulary, text books, and worst -- language classes.   I really do think this is like sports or other competitive skills. Some people just have near-magical abilities.

My other pet theory is that English speakers will generally not pick up a case system by listening without at least some grammar study.   That we're used to word order to determine parts of speech, and I think this is hard to let go of.

Edited by cathrynm on 23 February 2010 at 11:20pm

Dee-Dee
Diglot
United States
Joined 5201 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Romanian*, English
Studies: Danish, French

Message 43 of 97
24 February 2010 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
I really do think this is possible, although I think it would take quite a while to gain
fluency. It's actually a really good method, it can teach you the culture and slang and
native accents of the actors without having to go to the country. I wish I was like my
older sister, she knows 5 languages and two of them (Spanish and Italian) were learned
fluently from doing nothing but watching TV and movies.

Edited by Dee-Dee on 24 February 2010 at 1:08am

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5210 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 44 of 97
24 February 2010 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
Many people, including myself, are skeptical about learning a language just by watching television because they don't see how that is possible at an adult age. But many participants in this forum have examples of success stories. I would also like to add that, in my opinion, most people do not achieve very good results with so-called self-teaching methods. So how to explain why do some people "pick up" a language passively by watching tv while most people who study the language with a method don't get very far?

I won't debate here the question of the value of methods, but I think it's interesting to try to understand how someone could just pick up a language from television. There is probably a learning process that uses an analytical process of observation and deduction combined with the ability to easily mimic the actors.

It reminds of the question of a "knack for languages". I've often been cited as someone who has a talent for languages. Frankly, I do not believe in this kind of talent. On the contrary, I think this so-called talent is more the result of an efficient learning system. Then maybe that's what a knack is.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5791 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 45 of 97
24 February 2010 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
I don't anyone denies that it is possible for some people -- I simply argue that it's only possible for a minority and that you don't know in advance who the members of that minority are.

If you advise someone to try it, it's very likely that person will fail, so as strategies go it's pretty much worthless.

chucknorrisman
Triglot
United States
Joined 5228 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 46 of 97
24 February 2010 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
So if I want to learn a language from scratch from watching movies, should I watch them without or with subtitles? And do I need to watch many different movies in the language or the same one over and over again? And what happens if the movie contains more than one language?

Edited by chucknorrisman on 24 February 2010 at 1:13pm

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6052 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 47 of 97
24 February 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps children can. Kids seem to pick up languages more readily than adults, and the little couch potatoes might watch TV so much that in an L2 it is bound to make an impact on them.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5791 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 48 of 97
24 February 2010 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
chucknorrisman wrote:
So if I want to learn a language from scratch from watching movies, should I watch them without or with subtitles? And do I need to watch many different movies in the language or the same one over and over again? And what happens if the movie contains more than one language?

There is no formula -- this is not a structured learning programming but just some random thing that some people can (or at least appear to be able to) do.

It doesn't work for most people, it's reported differently by almost everyone who claims to have done it.

So whatever you do, chances are it won't work. But don't let that put you off.

This discussion contains 97 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version