Studies: German, Spanish

Message 57 of 97
25 February 2010 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
chucknorrisman wrote:
vusalgustav wrote:
chucknorrisman wrote:
That is very
interesting, vusalgustav. But I'm wondering
whether you were able to learn Turkish by watching TV because Turkish and Azerbaijani
are very closely related, and whether you were able to learn Russian because even if
the class didn't do much, you were able to at least have the basics through the
classes. I wonder if it would be possible for me to, say, watch Mongol
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_%28film%29) over and over again and learn
Mongolian, which I don't have any knowledge of and is not really related to any of the
languages I know currently?

And what do you mean by that it would be a different matter with subtitles? As in would
that impede learning?

I don't think one person can learn a language by a watching the same material over and
over again. The words need to be in different contexts in order to be figured out what
they mean.
In my opinion if I start watching TV in Mongol now, I can learn it. But it will take at
least 5-10 years regular watching before I am able to make meaningful conversation. But
if I learn a little bit Mongol up to A1 or A2 and only then implement only TV method I
can reduce that time to 3-5 years.

With subtitles it is different because it helps a lot.

I see what you are saying. I just wanted to do a little experiment for a while and see
if I could learn a language by just watching movies and TV shows in it without learning
any of it previously, but yeah, Mongolian has a very limited amount of resources. I'll
try some Italian (in which Spanish would help a bit) or some Indian language (which is
new to me). If I get any results in say, 6 months, I'll post something.

So do you mean that with subtitles it helps the language learning? Just want to make
clear what you mean.

Yes I do.

It might not be exactly regarding the subtitles but I would like to share another my
experience. In the 90th the Latin American soap TV shoes were very popular in Russian
TVs. As the TV channels did not have enough money to buy the license for those shows
they showed the pirate versions of the movies with dreadful dubbing. Dubbing was so
awful that you could hear Spanish speech half way the sentence before you Russian
speaker starts dubbing. As a result, I can tell you the meanings of some Spanish words:
(i will give you only transcription, as I don't know exactly how they are written)
{te amo} I love you, {me amo} my love, {nunka and khamas}never, {mi ikho} my son, {mi
iha} my daugther, {komo estas} how are you? {bien} good, {bamos abailar} let's dance,
or dance, {o} or, {coche} car, {hermano}brother, {yo} I, {voy}to go, {beso} kiss, to
kiss etc.
I might be mistaken about their meanings but that is what my brain decided after long analyzing between the contexts and between the languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6363 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 59 of 97
25 February 2010 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Watching TV is a great method (it's my favorite), but to get good results, you need to use a different method to get to a point where you can get the gist of what's going on. The method is crap to get to intermediate level, but once you're there, it's a great way to get further. This is how I learned English, it's how I learned French and it's how I'm learning Mandarin. But in all of these cases, serious study using more traditional methods had to take place before I was in a position to use the TV method.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5211 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 60 of 97
25 February 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Ari has put it simply and succinctly: television is an excellent medium for learning a language when used properly. I use it all the time. I think most participants here would agree by now that just sitting in front of the television is not enough, especially for a complete beginner.

The big problem is deriving meaning from the stream of sounds. Unless you can make sense of what you are hearing or seeing, you are basically wasting your time. Instead, there are various things to do that users have discussed right here that make the television into a wonderful learning tool. So I think the issue has been put to bed.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6053 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 61 of 97
27 February 2010 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Watching lots of TV or listening to lots of audio are methods that work best when you
already have reasonable knowledge of the language - say, at intermediate level. It can
help put you over the top towards advanced level.
At earlier stages, you risk demoralising yourself by listening to lots of
incomprehensible, or 95% incomprehensible noise.

tacoface
United States
Joined 5164 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 62 of 97
28 February 2010 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
I have been acquiring mandarin chinese by only watching taiwanese tv shows. No subtitles,
just listening and watching. After 450 hours I am quite pleased at the progress I have
made. I am estimating my understanding of the words is around 20%. Sometimes I watch 4-5
hours straight, sometimes I can miss weeks at a time due to being busy, but I never
forget a word I acquire, and all that happens is I continue acquiring new words when I
resume watching the shows.

What I would like to understand is why people on here voice such strident opinions on
this method when they have no idea how it works, and clearly have no intention of trying
to understand how it works.

Edited by tacoface on 28 February 2010 at 1:33pm

KTHN
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5514 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 63 of 97
28 February 2010 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
chelovek wrote:
jez wrote:
I'm Dutch and I have Dutch as my native language
and I actually reached an advanced level in English around the age of 12. All because of
the English language media that I was subjected to every single day.

So yeah, I'd have to say it's true, but only for younger people. Like how it gets more
difficult for people to learn a new language after a certain age.

I don't think that's true at all. I lived in the Netherlands teaching English, and althuogh
kids were exposed to tons of subtitled English media, they still were FAR from fluent
in English. Those that didn't have English lessons couldn't understand or speak it at all,
and those that were taking lessons still weren't proficient.

You took English lessons at school, as well as watching TV, correct? Omitting that extra
info is basically just telling a bold-face lie...

I have to disagree. I learned English through television, music etc. Yes, I took English
classes in school, it was compulsory so everybody did.

I did not learn much from those classes. After learning the aproximate spelling system
of English I did not read the textbooks. As a matter of fact I failed at English at
"Basisschool", I only started to learn English because of Dragonball Z, which was all the
hype back then. I could follow entire episodes in English, but not understand a single
word of English at school
In high school I never studied vocabulary. Neither did my friends. I don't understand a
single piece of grammar, I was always talking with my friends when they explained it. I
always just guessed grammar.

From my experience I can tell you that there are 2 kinds of students when it comes to
English.

The first type is the type I am. They just learned from television, music, games and after
they got used to it their English improves itself. My friends are far better at English
than I am, I know I suck, but I am much better at English than most of my fellow
students of type 2.

The second type is the type that learns in English class. They usually lack fluency,
grammar and vocab. They learn the vocab assignments, get good grades on the tests,
but forget everything soon after. I know various people that fall into this category, they
cannot read books in English, they do not understand the simplest of films in English,
the do not understand the lyrics of populair songs.

So saying that you learned from television is not a lie. It really isn't. It could feasibly
happen.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5516 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 64 of 97
28 February 2010 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
tacoface wrote:
I have been acquiring mandarin chinese by only watching taiwanese tv shows. No subtitles,
just listening and watching. After 450 hours I am quite pleased at the progress I have
made. I am estimating my understanding of the words is around 20%. Sometimes I watch 4-5
hours straight, sometimes I can miss weeks at a time due to being busy, but I never
forget a word I acquire, and all that happens is I continue acquiring new words when I
resume watching the shows.

What I would like to understand is why people on here voice such strident opinions on
this method when they have no idea how it works, and clearly have no intention of trying
to understand how it works.

acquired as in "I can speak it now", acquired as in "I understand it now", acquired as in "I have sort of an idea what's going on", or how 'acquired'?
450 hours seems awfully short to me.

This discussion contains 97 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version