Germany
Joined 6369 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 3
27 August 2008 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Well just listened a little to all of the different Pimsleur German material and found that I completely understand and know almost all of it. Yeah!
But, obviously I'm not fluent and when I listen to audiobooks (currently listening or bought to Adams Pech, The Golden Compass in German, Der Zauberer and Das Wochenende) I am lost with comprehesion that drops down to zero.

So what program or material can someone recommend to continue the learning journey beyond Pimsleur III (which I want to keep shadowing), the other material I have is too hard still.

Be as specific as you dare. AND THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Edited by zenmonkey on 27 August 2008 at 3:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

rlf1810
Triglot
United States
Joined 6157 days ago

122 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Slovak

Message 2 of 3
28 August 2008 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Well I'm sure I won't be the only person to suggest this but, Assimil. It was invaluable to me for comprehension practice, and it contains many idioms and expressions that a lot of courses don't go through. I recommend completing 'German With Ease', and seeing as you speak French, it should benefit you to try the second level German course (not available in English). Also, check out the Deutsche Welle podcasts and lessons. This is exactly what I did after completing Pimsleur German I-III and it was just great for me. Good luck!

-Robert

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6369 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 3
29 August 2008 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Thanks Robert,

I do use the DW stuff, mostly a weekly article, but had not looked at the podcasts or lessons. Good idea!

I'll look at Assimil.

I had stayed away from Assimil because it was FR/DE material and it seemed less logical to me -- suprisingly I have French accent in German, French is my third 'fluent' language but somehow it stuck to this one and I wanted to avoid reinforcing any relationship.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version