Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5859 days ago

72 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 7
31 August 2008 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Hey, I had a question about the Spanish + Portuguese.. I've been studying Spanish for a short while now, I can speak in conversation decently with bad grammar of course. I managed to place into my Spanish211 at my university in 3 months of teaching myself (which requires 4 years of high school or 2 semester of college Spanish). Yeah I like Spanish a bit too much... but anyways, after I'm done with this semester of Spanish I should have a pretty dang good understanding of the grammar. Then I want to take the next semester of Spanish with Portuguese..   I guess my question is, would that be a good enough base of Spanish to not confuse me and maybe help me learn Portuguese? I'm very serious about both.
1 person has voted this message useful

burgler09
Diglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5859 days ago

72 posts - 88 votes 
Studies: Portuguese

Message 2 of 7
11 September 2008 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Well I'll answer this question for anyone else who might be confused. I decided to bit the bullet and also study portuguese. I'm not having any trouble with confusing the languages because they are different languages! Just because they are simliar doesn't mean they are the same thing! If you want to study both of these languages go for it and I can't see any problems. My biggest problem was I didn't have the vocal cd's so it was only reading and I didn't know how to pronounce the alphabet so I just pronounced everything like Spanish. After a while you learn and you realize how simliar but different they both are.

TalabĂ­
Diglot
Venezuela
Joined 5723 days ago

25 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian

Message 3 of 7
20 September 2008 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Both languages are alike, but not the same. Perhaps the main difference is in pronunciation, it's quite different. I think you won't have any problems learning both languages.

Edited by TalabĂ­ on 20 September 2008 at 2:06am

rkunz
Diglot
United States
learnthatlanguagenow
Joined 6636 days ago

103 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 4 of 7
21 September 2008 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
Good job learning both languages at once! If you're lucky enough to be one of those people who can keep languages separate pretty easily, by all means, study as many as you want at one time!

-Robbie
Learn That Language Now

dutos
Argentina
Joined 5724 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 7
13 October 2008 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
I can't do it. Maybe when I'm a functional native in Portuguese and I've forgotten most of my English, I will be able to learn Spanish and not get the two languages mixed up.

The Spanish should be a good base for you though, especially if you're totally bilingual. I've seen Spanish and Italians in Brazil that pick up the language quicker and it's much easier for them. They still have accents when they speak, but at least if they forget a word, they can say it in Spanish and get close, or at least a heckofalot closer than a Russian or American could get saying the words in their native languages :-)

xandreax
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5711 days ago

142 posts - 160 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 7
22 October 2008 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
I am studying Spanish and Portuguese and I am having no problems at all. I think the best way to start learning Portuguese though, would be to use an audio program so you learn how different the pronunciation is compared to Spanish. I am using Pimsleur and looking up how to spell most of the words as well so that I can look at a written word and in my mind know how to pronounce it. I personally do not like the idea of learning pronunciation afterward and "relying on your Spanish pronunciation" because I think making correct pronunciation a habit from the start will probably be better in the long run. (and Portuguese IS quite a bit different than Spanish when it comes to pronunciation) Some people would have trouble. And it really is nice feeling confident in how you speak from the start and how you write and read.

I do find it easier to remember quite a few words though, and this is because of my knowledge of Spanish. There are words that are almost the same and others that are different but still somewhat similar.

Cheeky chica
Groupie
England
Joined 5767 days ago

70 posts - 75 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 7 of 7
22 October 2008 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
I'm learning Spanish and have never attempted Portugese in my life. But I once read a 'spanish' article and understood it fine, only to discover later that it was Portugese.
So yeah, they're similar and maybe you'll confuse them (I sure would!), BUT since you already have a headstart in Spanish, you'll have a better chance of keeping them seperate.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version