Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 6106 days ago

49 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 1 of 9
31 August 2008 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Next June I will be having a holiday in the Balearics (details tba). My Spanish is quite solid, but I'd like to speak at
least a little Catalan. Materials seem pretty sparse. Can anyone advise me what is the best approach?

Alan

1 person has voted this message useful

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6184 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 9
31 August 2008 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
I've heard that Assimil's "El Catalan Sin Esfuerzo" is very good. I couldn't find any other decent-looking materials for learning Catalan.

alancairns
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 6106 days ago

49 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 3 of 9
01 September 2008 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
goosefrabbas wrote:
I've heard that Assimil's "El Catalan Sin Esfuerzo" is very good. I couldn't find any other
decent-looking materials for learning Catalan.

Thanks. I have looked at that, but it is hard to find here in Canada. Amazon doesn't have it, and amazon.com has
only the book, not the CDs. I guess I'll just have to look round a bit more.

Alan.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6519 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 9
01 September 2008 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
If your Spanish is rock solid then you probably don't need a regular course. A lot of exposure, preferably in combination with some bilingual texts, will soon make it possible for you at least to read the language. After that you should listen to Catalan TV and radio through the internet until you also can understand the spoken version, and finally you could study some of the small books that compare Castillian and Catalan to learn some of 'the false friends'. My guess is that you don't have native Catalan speakers around you so try to think in the languages, single words first, later full sentences, and then you can finetune your pronunciation when you are there. If - and that will be a problem for you - IF you can persuade the local people not to speak in English to you! The Balearic Islands are full of tourists, and nobody expects any tourist to speak Catalan.

Edited by Iversen on 01 September 2008 at 3:58am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5827 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 9
01 September 2008 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
BFLB wrote:
Then there's the EuroTalk CD-ROM, 'Talk Now! Learn Catalan', which is popular for the essential words and phrases (no grammar)

Waste Of Time.

I bought one of the Talk Now! series several years ago and it is atrociously bad. The coverage is much sparser than many of the most basic printed phrasebooks.

The stuff's all template as well -- a native speaker just fills in the gaps and they call this a "course". It makes no attempt to address the peculiarities of a language and many of the phrases are hideously unnatural as they attempt to translate something that really doesn't translate. (I got laughed at once for this!)

Many of the vocabulary items it teaches are international, so you really don't need to be taught them in order to know them. Most people are able to guess "taxi" and "train", and any Spanish speakers will be able to have a good guess at aeroplane, too.

Talk Now! is all talk and no... well... talk.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6831 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 9
01 September 2008 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
alancairns wrote:
Amazon doesn't have it, and amazon.com has only the book, not the CDs. I guess I'll just have to look round a bit more.

Amazon.fr has it: link.

random_man
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6094 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, French

Message 8 of 9
05 September 2008 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Someone once suggested me to download on emule a catalan course called "El CatalĂ  Diari", which was distributed by a catalan newspaper a few years ago and directed to people interested in applying for a language certificate exam. It's not really a commercial course and has "Generalitat de Catalunya" in the credits. On the other hand, downloading it may still be a copyright infringement, although I couldn't find in the course presentation any restriction on distribution.
I only briefly looked at the course. It's all in catalan but you can follow with a good knowledge of Spanish and an online dictionary. The format is html/flash and includes lots of audio and exercises.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version