Joined 6228 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 81 of 161
22 November 2008 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
11/22/08

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Listened to Lessons 9 - 16. ~15 minutes.
Listened to Lessons 9 - 30. ~40 minutes. I've not covered the lessons that far in the book, but it was refreshing to just get the buzz of Russian in my ear, without hearing things I'd already heard before.

German

Listened to Waschsalon. ~12 minutes.

Edited by josht on 23 November 2008 at 6:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6228 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 82 of 161
23 November 2008 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
11/23/08

French

Assimil French with Ease - Listened to Lessons 60 - 87. ~48 minutes.

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Listened to Lessons 9 - 12. I'd planned on listening to more, but my computer rebooted for no reason, and I decided to go do something else. ~8 minutes.

German

Did Anki reviews. ~15 minutes.

Added the rest of the words from Using German Vocabulary - The Animal World Level 1 to Anki. 77 words. This was technically a review of these words, as I'd covered them previously with IWLM. ~15 minutes.

Edited by josht on 24 November 2008 at 7:22am

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6228 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 83 of 161
24 November 2008 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
11/24/08

Morning

German

Did Anki reviews. ~10 minutes.

Assimil Using German - Listened to Lessons 1 - 17. Alas, I don't have the book for this course, but I thought the lessons would be good listening comprehension practice anyway. I was able to understand most of what was said, which I was quite pleased with.

French

Assimil French with Ease - Listened to Lessons 70 - 90 again.

Afternoon / Evening

French

Assimil French with Ease - Reviewed active wave for Lesson 61; reviewed Lesson 62 (but I've not done the active wave for it yet). I'm still struggling on getting myself to do the active wave, as I just don't feel like I'm gaining much from it. ~15 minutes.

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Listened to Lessons 10 - 16. ~12 minutes.

NPRC - Reread most of chapter 9, covering the genitive case. ~30 minutes.

Edited by josht on 25 November 2008 at 5:55am

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6228 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 84 of 161
25 November 2008 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
11/25/08

Morning

German

Did Anki reviews. ~15 minutes.

Added all of Weather Level 1 from Using German Vocabulary to Anki. Again, this was also a review, as I've covered the words previously via IWLM. ~15 minutes.

Added all of The Human Body and Health Level 1 from Using German Vocabulary to Anki. Again - review. ~30 minutes. As an aside, I almost feel like giving myself a silly reward for doing this unit. They're words I need to know, but they really don't interest me in the least. I still need to enter the medical profession words, which I'm dreading; I've already done them via IWLM, and I may skip adding them to Anki for a while in favor of doing a unit I'll enjoy.

Total words added to Anki between the 2 units: around 200.

Afternoon

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Reread Lessons 10 - 12. I think I need to spend a little less time listening to the same lessons over and over, and more time actually reviewing them in the text. ~45 minutes.

Evening

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Listened to Lessons 10 - 15 again. ~14 minutes.

Edited by josht on 25 November 2008 at 8:50pm

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6228 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 85 of 161
26 November 2008 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
11/26/08

Morning

German

Did Anki reviews. This is much more enjoyable now that I've returned to added words to it. ~10 minutes.

Listened to 3 different Deutsche Welle Top Thema episodes, twice each. Around ~15 minutes total.

Read one of the articles that I listened to in podcast form, and added sentences to Anki which included any words I didn't know. ~15 minutes.

Afternoon / Evening

German

Listened to Waschsalon a couple of times. ~25 minutes.

Listened to Die Jugend sprich anders a few times (a Top Thema podcast from DW). ~5 minutes.

Did some more Anki reviews. I "finished" earlier today, but when I opened the program this evening, I had 45 cards to review.

French

French Assimil with Ease - Added Lessons 1 and 2 to Anki, each card having "number" from the Lessons. For the time being I'm abandoning the active wave, and am going to continue to focus on the French in the book, rather than the English. I just don't think I'm gaining much from the active wave, other than: 1) reading English and 2) memorizing the French translation of that. I also want to get away from looking at English and translating to French.

--

Other notes: After discussing this in another thread, and after reading a very striking comment by Volte, I think I'm going to stop tracking time. As she pointed out, you tend to weight your activities toward what you're tracking, and I think I may be falling into this trap. I think I've been slipping into a mode of thinking, "let's see how much time I can put in" - without enough regard to WHAT I'm doing with that time. Also, I must admit, the constant checking of times, or doing little calculations - "let's see, I did X number of Assimil lessons, at an average of 2 minutes a piece, minus every 7th lesson..." - is becoming increasingly energy draining. I want to learn languages, not become an obsessive book keeper. It's making my language learning feel too much like work, which isn't at all what I want.

So, in short: log, yes; times, probably not.

Edited by josht on 26 November 2008 at 9:33pm

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6228 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 86 of 161
27 November 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
11/27/08

Morning

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Reread Lesson 13 and spent a good deal of time on it, making sure I understand each word in every sentence (rather than getting "gist" of each sentence). I think I'm going to start adding all of the sentences from Russisch ohne Mühe to Anki, as I'm doing with my Assimil French course. I suppose it will be a mixture of Assimil and AJATT.

Evening

Worked through some present tense conjugation exercises in The Ultimate French Review and Practice book; added all of the completed sentences to Anki. Also read a bit about negation in the same book, which clarified "ne ... que" for me.

Edited by josht on 27 November 2008 at 9:37pm

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6228 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 87 of 161
28 November 2008 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
11/28/08

Morning

German

Did Anki reviews.

French

Added Lesson 3 sentences to Anki from Assimil French.

Afternoon

French

Assimil French with Ease - Listened to Lessons 8 - 12 while at the grocery store.

Russian

NPRC - Reviewed chapter 9 some more (genitive singular / plural, numbers). I must admit, I'm not entirely sure of the best way to go about memorize declensions. I obviously can do it, as I know German declensions - the problem is, I don't remember how I learned them. If anyone has had success with a particular method of memorizing Russian declensions, do chime in here, please; I'm finding Russian a tough nut to crack.

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Listened to Lessons 1 - 20 while at the grocery store. I'm definitely going to add the sentences from this Assimil course to Anki, as I'm still running into words quite frequently that I've forgotten, even after many repetitions.

Evening

Russian

NPRC - Started rereading chapter 10, which deals some more with the genitive, as well as the "to have" construction (У меня etc.). Probably spent 30 minutes or so on it. I know I said I wasn't going to track times, which is mostly true - I'm not going to obsess over "14" minutes and "36 minutes" - but stating roughly how long I spent reading something doesn't seem too bad, and it may prove helpful.

French

Assimil Using French - Read Lessons 1 and 2. Perhaps 15 minutes.

Edited by josht on 29 November 2008 at 2:35pm

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6228 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 88 of 161
29 November 2008 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
11/29/08

Morning

Did Anki reviews. These are now reaching the point where I hesitate to label them under any particular language - I have a decent amount of all 3 of "my" languages in my deck, now.

Afternoon

French

Learned about 35 words from Mastering French Vocabulary using IWLM. I'll add these to Anki in a few days after having reviewed the list a few times. I've noticed that I find doing IWLM with French words is much more difficult for me than using the method for German words. I'd say there are a few reasons for this. 1) I'm much more advanced in German, and the more words you know in a language, the easier it is to learn new words. 2) I'm used to German spelling and pronunciation. It's logical, and there aren't any silent letters floating about. French is obviously another beast altogether. I'm going to combat this with, more or less, brute force, and just keep learning words, and doing lots of reading. Hopefully it'll get easier, or at least not get harder. :-)

Reviewed the list of words a few hours later; all still remembered.

Russian

Copied out by hand the singular declensions for the first and second declension classes, from the Wikipedia page on Russian grammar. I've decided that I don't really like learning the declensions slowly (i.e., one at a time in my books), and would like to nail down the most important endings quickly. I decided to do this after reading something Iversen wrote elsewhere on the forum, regarding him making his own grammar tables. He was right (I'm no longer surprised in the least); I seem to have learned a good deal of the endings simply by making the table. I left the third declension class for another time, as in comparison to the first and second, it seems relatively unimportant.

Edited by josht on 29 November 2008 at 5:01pm

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version