Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5938 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 105 of 161
10 December 2008 at 10:03am | IP Logged 

Which, "Russian for Beginners" course are you using ?
1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 106 of 161
10 December 2008 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
This one, by Charles Duff and Dmitri Makaroff.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 107 of 161
12 December 2008 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Next week is finals week for me at college, and so my language learning time has very nearly evaporated. I'm still doing some stuff, but it's sporadic and quick, so I'll continue my log post-finals.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 108 of 161
21 December 2008 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Okay, back to some logging. Recently:

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Listened to a number of lessons (15 - 19 I believe) on repeat, listening to each one 4-5 times before moving on to the next one. I found this far more beneficial than listening to all of them 4 to 5 times, but repeating *all* at once.

I also read through a few lessons in the teens, but I don't recall which lessons they were.

NPRC - Did some more word lists, and made a small chart for genitive endings. Writing out the endings on the chart has helped sink them into my memory quite well. I need to do some more word lists for chapters 10 and 11, and then I'm moving on to the next few chapters. I may skip ahead to chapter 13 first, which deals with aspect; I'd like to have at least a vague understanding of how it works so I can start delving into my dictionaries for words. It makes no sense to learn the imperfective / perfective version of verbs if I don't know what to do with them. :-)

French

Assimil French with Ease - Reread Lessons 74 - 76, and listened to lessons 72 - 76 numerous times on repeat. Again, I listened to each one 4 - 5 times before moving on to the next one.

German

Anki reviews. Also, added a number of words / sentences from a basic vocabulary text. I'm still finding holes in my everyday German vocabulary, and so I'm still diligently trying to fill them in.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 109 of 161
22 December 2008 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Today, I worked a lot on Russian. I did some word lists from NPRC, as well as went over some grammar. I also reviewed Lesson 22 of Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe, and did Lesson 23 for the first time. I noted that during my word list work, it seemed that it was getting a bit easier for me to retain the words. Practice makes perfect, I guess.

I did some thinking in German, mostly while working around the house doing chores. I was a bit annoyed to find that I couldn't think of how to say "do the laundry", and I'm still not sure how to correctly express it. Wäsche spülen / abwaschen? Wäsche machen?

I skipped Anki reviews for today, as I wasn't on the computer much. I'll catch up on them tomorrow.

French was more or less neglected today, as I was so focused on Russian.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 110 of 161
23 December 2008 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
12/23/08

German

I did 1/4 of a word list sheet while at work today, amounting to roughly 30 words; I pulled them from the Using German Vocabulary book. Later when I got home, I was skimming through Langenscheidt's Basic German Vocabulary text, and was a bit surprised. I think I tend to underestimate how much I've learned, as I figured I'd see plenty of words I didn't know, but I didn't come across any at all while skimming. Apparently I know far more German words than I thought.

French

Half a sheet of word lists, around 50 words, using Mastering French Vocabulary.

Edited by josht on 24 December 2008 at 10:33am

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 111 of 161
05 January 2009 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
My, my. Holidays are very bad for my language studies, and even worse for my log.

1/5/09

French

Assimil French with Ease - Reread through Lessons 81 - 83. I'm still on the "active" wave, however, I'm not really following their instructions. I've not been translating from English to French, as I just didn't find it overly helpful. Instead I've been focusing solely on the French, and turning to the English for clarification.

Added all of the sentences from Lesson 5 and 6 to Anki, and reviewed the lessons while doing so.

Total for the French activities: probably around 45 minutes.

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Yesterday I reviewed Lesson 23, and did Lesson 24 for the first time. Today, I listened each lesson twice; I'm going to review the text for these lessons, and do an initial read of Lesson 25, this evening.

Edit: Reviewed Lessons 23 and 24 in the book; read through Lesson 25 for the first time (I listened to it previously, on a day when I didn't update my log). Around an hour spent, total, on the book review.

German

Anki reviews; around 250 cards answered. Around half an hour.

Edited by josht on 05 January 2009 at 10:04pm

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 112 of 161
06 January 2009 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
1/6/09

German

I added some of the words from Using German Vocabulary, Unit 6, Food and Drink: Level 1 to Anki. I'm due to begin with Breads, grains and pasta, when I next pick it up. When I began, I thought I had covered the words previously via IWLM, but the further along I went, the more I realized I *haven't* done them with IWLM yet. Not all of them, anyway. All in all, I added about 90 words.

I wrote a message to my German tutor, who I've not corresponded with since December 23rd; darn holidays!

I read this article at Deutsche Welle, about Angolans offering phone calls on their cellphones for cash. Interesting "business" development. Millions of Angolans have cellphones, but not many can afford the prepaid cards to actually use the phones. This makes me wonder where 5 million Angolans got cellphones to begin with... So, instead of spending 900 Kwanza for a prepaid card, they pay 30 Kwanza per minute to use someone else's phone. Regarding the language as opposed to content, I had no trouble reading the article, and only hit one or two words which I had to double check.

I also read this article, also at Deutsche Welle, about Guerilla Gardeners, who add some green to big cities by planting plants in vacant lots. I think it sounds a bit crazy to me, but then again, I don't live in a big city, and all I have to do to see green is glance out any of my windows. Trees abound, as does grass, etc. So maybe my viewpoint is unfair. Regarding the German, I understood all of the article except 2 or 3 words which were provided in the (monolingual) glossary at the end.

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Reviewed Lessons 22 - 25 in the book; read through Lesson 26 for the first time, and then listened to it 4 times on my MP3 player. I probably spent around an hour and a half in all, as I needed to look up a few words here and there.

French

Assimil French with Ease - Reviewed Lessons 83 and 84 in the book; listened to Lessons 80 and 81 while doing the dishes. I listened to Lesson 81 (L'argot) 3 times, as I'm still struggling to pick out all of the words, even though I understand the lesson in full when reading it.

Spanish

Insanity, I know. I've not really taken up Spanish, but I suppose I should log everything I do. So, today, I read through Lesson 1 of Espagnol Sans Peine.

Edited by josht on 06 January 2009 at 8:00pm

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version