635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 145 of 161
09 February 2009 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Okay, now that I feel guilty...

2/9/09

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Dropped back to Lesson 1 and added the sentences to Anki.

French

Assimil French with Ease - Listened to Lessons 30 - 41 while doing some house chores (mostly mopping). I was happy to find that I (finally) can listen to a rather large chunk of the program, and understand pretty much all of the words. There were only two or three words in the lessons that I drew a blank on.

German

I read 4 pages of Der Rettende Weg; I'm going to go back later and pull any unknown words. While there are quite a few words I'm unsure of, with many of them, I can guess at the meaning, and I certainly understand what's being expressed (i.e., there weren't any sections in what I read where I had no clue as to what was being said).
1 person has voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5932 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 146 of 161
10 February 2009 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
josht wrote:

Has anyone else ran into burn out?

Yes. It was mainly towards the end of TAC 2008, but I've encountered it very recently as well. It tends to happen when the other aspects of life intrude upon my language learning. Trying to maintain a study regime, and deal with life's hassles can be challenging at the best of times. If it occurs, I'll pull back my study to deal with other matters. If I didn't, I'd be stressed, and the language learning of no value at all.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6227 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 147 of 161
10 February 2009 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Glad to know I'm not the only one.

2/10/09

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - I spent about an hour and a half working through Lessons 31 and 32 again, since I'd put the course down for a while. I went through each a number of times, pausing frequently to repeat the sentences. I found that if I looked away from the text, many of the words disappeared almost immediately from my mind. Russian vocabulary continues to be a real bear. :) I really do love how the language sounds, though, so I think it's just a matter of time before things start sticking a bit better.

German

Anki reviews for the day. I'm up to date on my Anki reviews, and have been for a few days.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6227 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 148 of 161
11 February 2009 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
2/11/09

French

1/4 sheet of French words from Mastering French Vocabulary (around 30 words). As I work with this book, I'm seeing just how much vocabulary is really introduced in the Assimil course; a large number of the words I'm learning are already familiar to me, from seeing them in the various lessons.

German

I read Der letzte Mauertote, which was a rather depressing read. As the title conveys, it's about the last fellow who was shot and killed trying to escape East Berlin. 6 months later, the wall fell.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6227 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 149 of 161
15 February 2009 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Just a short note, for the one or two folks who have showed interest in reading my log: I'm keeping my daily log in a notebook now, as I'm finding it to be easier. I'll still be posting here, but I'm going to gather a few days worth of log material before posting. Then I'll just post it all in a digest.

dmg
Diglot
Canada
dgryski.blogspot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6792 days ago

555 posts - 605 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto

Message 150 of 161
15 February 2009 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
josht wrote:
I'll still be posting here, but I'm going to gather a few days worth of log material before posting. Then I'll just post it all in a digest.

I found two or three days of studying game me enough material simmering in my brain to give me a reasonable TAC log post. I have a file on my computer I jot notes down into and batch them. It also means I'm not wasting too much time posting here :)

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6384 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 151 of 161
19 February 2009 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
josht wrote:
Just a short note, for the one or two folks who have showed interest in my

I doubt only one or two folks alone racked up over 13,000 views!

I for one read all your updates, FWIW.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6227 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 152 of 161
20 February 2009 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Magister,

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm a bit baffled as to why so many folks would read my log, but if people enjoy it, great. :)

I'm planning on doing an update today or tomorrow.

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version