Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Spanish Tell Me More, Linguaphone or FSI?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
lang_lang
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 1 of 7
05 September 2008 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
Hola,

My focus is to really learn Spanish. For this reason, I want to know what is recommended by polyglots and language learners on this site. I would like to freshen up on my Spanish. It is quite rusty. I am a serious learner an have been searching for that ideal Spanish language course where I will learn well beyond the basics.

My top options are Auralog's Tell Me More, they have a new edition on their web site and 10-different levels, however, I'm not sure what that truly means. Has anyone tried tell me more's newest edition? Does it take you to practice and learn at a more advanced level?

Likewise, I'm looking at Linguaphoneusa.com. They seem to have a really good workbook to accompany the course. If you have tried it previously and experienced success, please do detail.

The only issue is the cost...both Linguaphone and Tell Me More are high ticket language CDs of $300+. I will buy them ONLY if they are worth the money. I want to get something that I will benefit from and I'm very interested in what you all have to recommend as well.

I was also considering FSI Foreign Service Institute Spanish as I found the entire course online for about $79 at a web site called fsispanishcourse.com. It's on dvd and is the original fsi not the updated version like camino al exito has or barrons (I believe they updated the course as well). Is this course outdate or worth the money?

I also am looking into Learning Spanish Like Crazy and maybe even Rosetta Stone.

I am a highly motivated, serious learner and want a complete at-home study program that goes well, well beyond the very basics which I have a pretty good understanding of. If you all have any recommendations on which course you BEST recommend from your personal experiences, please, please assist. Thank you kindly.
1 person has voted this message useful

BGreco
Joined 6203 days ago

211 posts - 222 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 2 of 7
05 September 2008 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
FSI is available for free online at fsi-language-courses.com

lang_lang
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 3 of 7
06 September 2008 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Thanks. I also posted this on a different site, but it is not the full course, nor could I get everythign to open for me. I will try the DVDs at fsispanishcourse.com

Ayane
United States
isby-girlfriend.smac
Joined 5895 days ago

32 posts - 32 votes
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 4 of 7
06 September 2008 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
Well, just a few weeks ago a family friend got me a nice Spanish program called "Berlitz Language Learning: Spanish Premium". The software seems to be pretty good! It comes with 5 different modes (which you can see in the pictures below); the best being the games/activities, since it makes learning a bit more fun, and it comes with BYKI flash cards. This program also comes with several CD's and MP3's if you're away from your computer and when you want to just hear Spanish spoken verbally. The best part about this program is that it's only $40! There is also a company ( Learn Spanish Now! ) that uses this exact same program, but the only difference is that it costs $30 more. xD

Buy Spanish Premium~

Here's what it looks like: Image 1 Image 2

Edited by Ayane on 06 September 2008 at 7:11am

lang_lang
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 5 of 7
06 September 2008 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
I am familiar with the name Berlitz, but have never actually tried their products. I assume they were more for travelers. I will give it a try. Thanks.

BGreco
Joined 6203 days ago

211 posts - 222 votes 
3 sounds
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 6 of 7
06 September 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
I don't know where you got the idea that it's not the full course. Perhaps you were looking at the Basic course instead of the Programmatic.

Here's another link if that didn't work for you.

http://www.freelanguagecourses.com/category/language/spanish /

lang_lang
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 7 of 7
07 September 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
Programmatic Spanish is different than the FSI Basic Spanish Course. I prefer to have the FSI full basic course instead. The programmatic is available online in its entirety, not the FSI basic course. Thanks for the link, however.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version