Language Learning Forum : Language Bookstores Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5928 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 1 of 10
05 September 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
Can anyone recommend an online Swedish bookstore? Or any other Scandinavian bookstore for that matter, heck, hopefully even Icelandic.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6689 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 10
05 September 2008 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Adlibris
Bokus
Internetbokhandeln
SF-Bokhandeln

You may check these out too:
Ginza
CDon
3 persons have voted this message useful

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5928 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 3 of 10
06 September 2008 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks!

It seems the SF site even has manga and anime in Swedish!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6689 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 10
06 September 2008 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Yes, there is quite a lot of manga translated into Swedish*, and some anime versions (or vice versa) usually has Swedish audio.

* Just as an example, I did a search for "manga" in the local library catalogue, and got 175 hits (not too bad in my opinion).

Hope you find something of interest!

Oxenhandler
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5587 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Studies: Swedish

Message 5 of 10
29 March 2010 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
As Jeff's mailbox is full I will post this in the forum in hopes that he will see it and at the same time open my request for help to anyone who might come along and is willing and able to provide it. Thank you.

Jeff,

Can you help me find a free donwload of the text of the novel "Utvandrarna" by Willhelm Moberg? I downloaded the audio last year but cannot find the text. I am teaching myself Swedish and find reading and listening to be the most engaging and effective means of acquiring the language. Swedish is my first foreign language. I am not a polyglot by any means. I was inspired by this video, in which the instructor uses the text from the novel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8gXxGAvsto. I have since read the English translation of the novel. I've been searching for over a year now. A Swedish friend lent me his library number but alas, even the library in Sweden doesn't have it as an e-book. In fact the library https://www.elib.se/library/default.asp?lib=74 has hundreds of e-books and ljud-books but they are all different. I mean, not a single ljud book is also available as an e-book and vise versa. (I was wrong about this / see my reply below)

I have checked with each of the online bookstores you list and from what I can tell, all they have available is the CD which I assume is the audio. It seems the text copies are sold out and I assume the book is out of print.

If you can't find "Utvandrarna" maybe you know of some other audio/text combination downloads available in the Swedish language.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Oxenhandler on 30 March 2010 at 12:21am

Blunderstein
Triglot
Pro Member
Sweden
schackhandeln.se
Joined 5198 days ago

60 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Esperanto
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 10
29 March 2010 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
You might want to try http://runeberg.org/ (Project Runeberg), a Swedish equivalent of Project Gutenberg, with lots of older literary works online.

"Utvandrarna" was filmed, and the CD you find in bookstores are most likely the film. However, for copyright reasons, the text is most likely not available online for free (if at all).

You can also try Sveriges Radio (Swedish radio), the public service radio station. They have news both in audio and in text, even though it probably won't be the exact same wording. http://sverigesradio.se/
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6689 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 10
29 March 2010 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
According to my PM info:
"You have 80 Private Messages, you can receive another 20 out of 100"

Now, if the book is available in a digital format (legally or illegally) you should be able to find it via Google (however, I only managed to find audiobooks).

Librivox has seven completed works (I'm not familiar with any of them, though).

From what I can see, authors like Liza Marklund, Anne Holt, Henning Mankell, Roslund & Hellström etc. are available in both formats at your Elib.

Oxenhandler
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5587 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Studies: Swedish

Message 8 of 10
29 March 2010 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Blunderstein and Jeff.

Blunderstein, I have been using Radio Sweden and it is an excellent resource for reading and listening. It could be better and I have written to ask if they would link a full transcription of their Klartext broadcasts.

I look forward to exploring project Runeberg. I did find some usable material at the Gutenberg site last night / alas, no accompanying sound.

Jeff, Thank you for searching for me, even though you didn't find the text for "Utvandrarna".

You are absolutely correct, and I was mistaken about the library. A few of the e-books are available in audio as well. I was looking at the format icons and not cross referencing each title using the search features(which is more work than should be necessary).

Thank you so much for your link to project Librivox. I find their work very exciting and I hope to contribute.

Edited by Oxenhandler on 30 March 2010 at 12:02am

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version