Triglot
New ZealandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5702 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Maori
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 17 of 24
18 September 2008 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Woah now there's some juicy questions...And I apologize if I'm being a little confusing. I'm no expert in grammar terminology and also really don't know how to address the issue of pronunciation. I'll put a guide on here when I have time. In the mean time, I think I could download some macrons as special characters, cos double vowels just look horrid!

First word for word translation of cat dialogue.
Cats like milk: He pai te miraka ki ngaa ngeru: Is good the milk to the cats
Which cats?: Ki eehea ngeru?: To which cats?
All cats: Ki ngaa ngeru katoa: To the cats all

Note; There are no verbs of to have and to be in Maori. But certain sentence starters are used when no other verb is present. These are "he" and "ko" It's a bit difficult to explain the difference, but "he" is very indefinite and "ko" is very definite.
For example-
Ko nga ngeru i roto i te toa= It is the cats who are in the shop.
He ngeru i roto i te toa= There are some cats in the shop.

Yes there is a lot of inflection in Maori, but sentences which aren't questions are quite monotonous. Inflection must be used with questions which don't have question words, to differentiate between a question and a statement, which are structurally the same. For example-
He ngeru- There are cats
He ngeru?- Are there cats?

The difference between ahau and au is nothing. You can use them interchangeably, however "ahau" tends to be used in shorter sentence, to fit rhythm, but you can only really decide which is best to use, when you develop an ear for the language.

Hmmm verbal participles, I take it you mean the things which mark present tense etc.
Because in Maori verbs don't conjugate, apart from in passive, when they add an ending.
Present tense: Kei te moe au- I am sleeping. (Lit- At the sleep I)
Past tense: I moe au- I slept (Lit- At(past) sleep I)
Past continuous: I te moe au-I was sleeping (Lit- At(past) the sleep I)
Future: Ka moe au- I will sleep (Lit- Will sleep I)
Present continuous: E moe ana au- I am sleeping (Place "e" before verb, then "ana")
Passive: I karanga-tia ngaa tamariki- The children were called (Lit- At called the children)

That's enough for today. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification. Ka kite ano
1 person has voted this message useful

'
Bilingual Diglot
Australia
Joined 5727 days ago

120 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian*

Message 18 of 24
18 September 2008 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Haha, no, I meant verb inflection. As in:

amo amare amatum amavi etc

verbs/words changing their form to express different parts of speech, or purposes within them

cf. I, me, my, mine

wakarima-huji
Triglot
Joined 5702 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes

Message 19 of 24
18 September 2008 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
' wrote:
Haha, no, I meant verb inflection. As in:

amo amare amatum amavi etc

verbs/words changing their form to express different parts of speech, or purposes within them

cf. I, me, my, mine

Okay then in that case, no. That's what I love about Maori- it's so simple.

'
Bilingual Diglot
Australia
Joined 5727 days ago

120 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian*

Message 20 of 24
19 September 2008 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
So how do you express tense and aspect? Particles?

wakarima-huji
Triglot
Joined 5702 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes

Message 21 of 24
19 September 2008 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
Look back to the beginning of this page, I've explained it all there. Yes they use special words at the start of each sentence to express tense.

starlight
New Zealand
Joined 5693 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 22 of 24
23 September 2008 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
I was really surprised to see this thread!!

I remember in primary school singing songs in Maori and learning kapa haka and how to swing the pois. Maori culture is very important in NZ because it's our country's history.

However I don't think Maori a language that can progress mainly because hardly anyone speaks it and there are no other countries in the world that speak it, there aren't many opportunities with Maori. I live in Papakura... which is South Auckland but I really don't hear the language spoken much, although I understand why it is more prominent in Rotorua.

We should continue to incorporate Maori in schools and promote the Maori culture but in high schools and in the workforce it shouldn't be compulsory, it should be choice.

2 persons have voted this message useful

brozman
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5843 days ago

87 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, English, Japanese
Studies: Russian, Indonesian

Message 23 of 24
23 September 2008 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Well, nobody spoke Hebrew a few years ago and now it's one of the official languages in Israel. There are no better and worse languages, and all of them can progress or disappear depending on how much attention a government puts on it.

Look at Catalan, it's progressing really successfully since the dictator Franco died. However, Aragonese language, which was really important when there was no Spain but several independent kingdoms, will disappear very soon, as it's not official and is nowadays spoken by very few people in some villages.
3 persons have voted this message useful

JS-1
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5770 days ago

144 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), German, Japanese, Ancient Egyptian, Arabic (Written)

Message 24 of 24
23 September 2008 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I'm am very interested in this language, but I'm afraid my knowledge of it is restricted to a few words I have heard spoken on Shortland Street...

However I would like to know how much it varies throughout New Zealand; not just in terms of accent and vocabulary, but grammar as well. It would also be interesting to know if any regional variations are being eroded by the existence of an 'official' version.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version