Hexaglot
Italy
Joined 6021 days ago

166 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: Italian, Serbo-Croatian*, English, Russian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Arabic (classical), German, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 4
15 September 2008 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone, this is mainly addressed to the admins of the site.

I've seen how among the languages there isn't Bosnian but there is a clear distinction between Serbian, Croatian, and Serbo-Croatian... as a languages student, I say that's good, indeed they have their differences that differentiate them. Yet I don't see Bosnian as a language. I just don't understand why is that, if we have those 3 yet we don't have Bosnian... as I've seen on the forum, there are people who study that language, I myself am a speaker of it and never in my life did I call it Serbian, Croatian, or Serbo-Croatian. This has nothing to do with politics, everyone who has a proficiency in one of the ex-yu languages knows there are differences between these languages, surely minor, but there are. I wouldn't post this if I saw Serbo-Croatian as the only choice yet people on this forum can choose also between Serbian and Croatian, so it's just a bit...weird that in my profile I can't put my native language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5784 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 2 of 4
17 September 2008 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
I remember to have read a thread on why there are some languages missing from the list. The main reason for 'missing' languages was that there may be few who speak it. But then, I agree with you and think it would suit nicely to either include Bosnian (and for that matter also Montenegrin) as seperate languages, -or- replace all current 'denominations' by BCMS (Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin, Serbian, in alphabetic order) as a sort of more modern and neutral name than the outdated 'Serbo-Croatian' (which I included in my profile as such).

By the way, feel welcome to add postings to all threads about these languages :).

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6580 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 3 of 4
10 March 2009 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
dito, I would prefer having Bosnian in my profile, too.

Regards,
Ilhan

Ivana_B
Triglot
Croatia
ivanabencic.com
Joined 5398 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, Serbian, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 4
17 June 2009 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
I also think there should be Bosnian.
I can understand it perfectly (being Croatian), but they do have a pretty big amount of words which I need a dictionary for.
For example, I just learned that "angel" on Bosnian can be "melek". Croats say "anđeo".

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version