United States
Joined 6018 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Korean

Message 1 of 4
17 September 2008 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Professor Argüelles,

I am currently working through A Historical, Literary, and Cultural Approach to the Korean Language. The back cover states that further intermediate and advanced texts are in preparation. I do not assume to know who wrote the text on the back cover and so I have a few questions.

Are there plans for an intermediate volume, and can I assume that you would be the author? If so, do you have any prediction of when it may be available?

...Approach to the Korean Language was exactly the book I needed. I feel lucky that it exists.

Samuel
1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7044 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 4
06 October 2008 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Samuel,

Thank you very much indeed for your kind words of appreciation for this textbook. Professor Kim Jongrok and I always intended to write more volumes, but although we thought we could continue to collaborate after I left Korea, that just has not materialized. Now, however, there is actually a concrete chance that I may return there, and if that does come to pass, then certainly we may do this in the not too distant future.

May I suggest that you and any other students who value this kind of approach drop a line to the publisher as well indicating your desire for more advanced volumes?

In the meantime, it may interest students of Korean to know that Professor Kim just this past August published a comprehensive (555 page) 외국인을 위한 표준 한국어문법(도서출판 박이정). Although it is clearly intended for foreigners, it is initially only available in Korean, but he would like for me to translate it into English, and he informs me that the publisher has plans to have it translated into a good many languages.

Alexander Arguelles

JonB
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6053 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Greek

Message 3 of 4
05 May 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Prof Arguelles,

I am rather surprised that you took the time to respond to a question worded as rudely and aggressively as the above post by "staccato". It seems fairy obvious to me that this person is a troll who is just here to provoke trouble.

Of course, anyone should have the right to make a less-than-glowing critique of your book. But to make any such critical comments in an insolent and uncouth tone is not acceptable, in my opinion.

--Jon Burgess

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7044 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 4 of 4
06 May 2009 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Mr. Burgess, for pointing this out. Now that you do so, it is very obvious. I might have seen it if someone else had not written a serious response first, but probably not as in my instinctive notions of acceptable discourse I do not have a category for trolls who are just here to provoke trouble. Well, since I have shown that, far from resenting criticism, I am so naive as to write an honest and detailed response to hateful, hostile, patently false statements, I do not care to have such material lying around, so I will delete the entire episode.

Alexander Arguelles

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version