Triglot
United States
Joined 6681 days ago

261 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, French
Studies: Esperanto, Ukrainian, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Persian

Message 9 of 11
20 September 2008 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
I don't think you can simply take a dictionary and then learn it. Learning vocabulary isolated from context like this you then start to speak English (or whatever language you're studying) as if it is your native language with new words thrown in.

For example, if a Russian looks up the word "udobno" then the most common definition they'll see is: comfortable. However, this word is used in Russian to also mean convenient. Which leads to people saying something like: "I'm flying because it's more comfortable for me," instead of "I'm flying because it's more convenient for me," as these two words are complete and distinct entities the finer shades of meaning are completely lost. Also, in Russian "shade" and "shadow" have only one translation. This leads to a sentence like "I want to sit in the shadow".

2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6032 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 10 of 11
20 September 2008 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
Up to a point you can learn from vocabulary lists, especially at the start when it is likely the words you learn are very common ones, but as time goes on and you go deeper into an L2, learning in context becomes more important.
1 person has voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 11 of 11
30 August 2017 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
TDC wrote:

For example, if a Russian looks up the word "udobno" then the most common definition they'll see is: comfortable. However, this word is used in Russian to also mean convenient. Which leads to people saying something like: "I'm flying because it's more comfortable for me," instead of "I'm flying because it's more convenient for me," as these two words are complete and distinct entities the finer shades of meaning are completely lost. Also, in Russian "shade" and "shadow" have only one translation. This leads to a sentence like "I want to sit in the shadow".

In this regard, Indonesian is similar to Russian. In Indonesian, the wprd "nyaman" means bpth "comfortable" and "convenient". The word "bayangan" also means both "shadow" and "shade".

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version