United States
Joined 5093 days ago

34 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 113 of 204
18 May 2010 at 12:19am | IP Logged 

Mandarin: A week, very thin line of knowledge

Spanish: A month, took a break for two months, and now I am going to start back up again
after I get a little more knowledge of Mandarin. I have about a kernel of basic Spanish
information, enough to walk down the street and understand most of what people are
saying.
1 person has voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 114 of 204
18 May 2010 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
Name: Jordan King

English: Native (Would be willing to trade for Russian or German :D)

Spanish: Started at 14, manditory "American" schooling language, horrible teaching, but I really worked with a foreign student from venezuela when I started out. Self study got me to where I am today

German: Less than 2 months ago, I can read anything and understand at least 50% of it (Pretty good in my opinion) slowly learning the cases and idioms :D I love German.

Portuguese: I know it pretty well, in between intermediate and basic fluency. I can watch TV and read and stuff, understanding around 70%-75% of it. (Learned it because of a girlfriend from Brazil last year:D)

Japanese: I WAS OBSESSED WITH CARS (still am) I got a free street racing DVD with a magazine I bought, in Japanese with English subtitles. I loved it haha! I know the basics and a little sentence structure. Not much however.

Italian: First Assimil Course, and it seemed fairly easy to pick up. It's another Romance language, and I haven't really started yet. I understand a good bit, but I need a lot of work. Shouldn't be difficult to master.

French: Haven't started, but it's another Romance language, how hard can it be.

Russian: Friend from Russia showed me a Russian rap video. I love the language, especially the writing. I hope to master Russian, German, and Spanish in my lifetime. I'm talkin' advanced fluency :D German and Russian appear "gangster" My friend Yulian speaks both Ukrainian and Russian with his parents in front of me, and I love it. (They could be saying I'm a fat potato for all I know, but it sounds so cool!)

Edited by datsunking1 on 18 May 2010 at 3:57am

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5613 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 115 of 204
18 May 2010 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Name: Athene (would rather not put my last name here)

English: Native; and according to the standardized testing we did in school, by 3rd grade I had a college-level
reading ability, so that's probably been a big help to me in the language-learning department.

Esperanto: Started a year or so ago, but picked up seriously again about six months ago. Intermediate fluency
(about B1 I think).

Japanese: From age 15. Took two years of high school classes, then read up on self-study methods because I
wanted to continue on my own, which is how I found this forum. Took me a while to find a good method for me.
Currently a bit less than A1 level.

French: From age 6! I had this every year from first grade to fifth grade, but sadly we only covered the basics
over and over every year. In 6th and 7th grade I did some of my own studying and got a bit farther, but not by
much. Since then it's been neglected until about a month ago I started doing the occasional Pimsleur lesson,
and as of now I've officially started it again. I'm definitely at a beginner level.

I also have a bazillion things on my hit list, but the ones at the top are ASL, Arabic, Korean, Mandarin, Russian,
and Hindi.

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6313 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 116 of 204
18 May 2010 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 

Spanish: native
English: since I'm 5. I "finished" when I ended up the highschool (at 18), but
continued by self-teaching for 2 more years. C1
German: 16. Assimil, other books, grammars, tv, radio, the news, audiobooks, etc.
Between C1 and C2
French: 17. The same. C1
Portuguese: 18. The same. C1
Italian: 19. The same. C1 (I love it)
Swedish: 20. The same. Between B1 and B2 (it was a total random choice -I threw a
dice and Swedish won-)

Dutch: 21. The same. Between B1 and B2 (I wanted to flirt with the language, but ended
up learning it)

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6127 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 117 of 204
19 May 2010 at 3:16am | IP Logged 

Canadian French: Native
English: Fluent

Mandarin: I guess I could call my level intermediate. I have been learning it on and off since I joined this
forum but I will study it very intensively this summer and hopefully be at an advanced level before the end
of this year.

Cantonese: Started around 2 years ago. I would say it's at the same level as Mandarin. However, I have a
lot of troubles watching Cantonese movies without subtitles. It was difficult to practice with other people
since most locals insist on speaking with me in English.

Shanghainese: Started a few months ago. My level is around lower-intermediate. I plan to live in Mainland
China once I am done with college so learning Shanghainese made sense to me. I also wanted to learn the
Chongqing dialect but I could not find any good resources.

Edited by Asiafeverr on 19 May 2010 at 3:19am

Iris-Way
United States
Joined 5361 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 118 of 204
19 May 2010 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 

English: Native
Spanish: Intermediate, started right after I turned 14 as a freshman in high school
French: Beginner, started this year at 16 as a junior

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5752 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 119 of 204
19 May 2010 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
I am 38, but in truth, on most days I only feel 83.

Years of beginning new languages: 14, 36, 38, + others to be added! I'm a late bloomer in this way, I guess - if you can call what I'm doing "blooming"!

Some general forum demographic statistics would be a nice site feature, if that's possible. Obviously there's interest in this information. I know that you can already find out how many people speak/learn a particular language, but it's good to see ages and locations of forum members, too.

altito425
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5745 days ago

65 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 120 of 204
19 May 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 

English: Native

Spanish: Advanced(ish) Fluency. I started studying when I was a Freshman in high school (14).

French: High Intermediate. I'd say I've spent about five to six months all together on this language, but I've taken several long breaks to focus more on Spanish, so I've actually been in contact with it for almost two years. I can read pretty well (probably because of my knowledge of Spanish) and my writing isn't bad.

German: Beginner. Very basic vocabulary and grammar. I only took it for a semester in college.

Edited by altito425 on 19 May 2010 at 3:43pm

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version