204 messages over 26 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 ... 25 26 Next >>
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5478 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 129 of 204
27 December 2010 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
I'm 23.

ENGLISH: Native, very good knowledge including "flexible" knowledge (I can do "Basic English" when necessary, etc.) – although I have a slight Neptunian accent which I just can't shift.

FRENCH: Studied it for three pathetic years in high school, was barely able to ask a question in it by the end of that time, and didn't have a good accent at all. I started re-learning it (pretty much from scratch) on my own a year ago and have been progressing rapidly. I'm now able to hold basic conversations, read easily for pleasure in various genres (Simenon mysteries, classics like Balzac and Hugo, autobiography, etc.), and write to French-speaking friends without too much trouble.

GERMAN: My linguistic true love. I obsessively listened to German pop music all through high school without actually studying it at all, but that turned out to be the best possible preparation for "real" study. When I got to university I started studying it intensely and progressed very rapidly. I've since spent six months living in Germany, can converse comfortably if imperfectly in it, can write and read for pleasure, and am in the process of translating a German novel into English for my final project at uni.

ITALIAN: I've studied it on and off, with not much motivation but lots of fondness, for about two years. I can just manage to hold a basic conversation in it, but my accent is quite good and I have hardly any trouble reading. I could also get by just fine when I visited Italy this past spring.

ESPERANTO: I've been trying to learn it for several years now, doing a few weeks of effort and then getting frustrated with my lack of interest and giving up. I could probably hold a basic conversation on familiar topics. I can read with not much trouble and write to penpals quite easily as well, but my speaking (and listening, to a lesser degree) continues to lag behind.

MANDARIN CHINESE: Pretty much just started. I became interested in it in mid-October, studied intensely for about a month, then trailed off to focus on finals. Now that the semester's over I'm going to return to it, but I can already see that I've forgotten some words. I know just enough to say things like "I am American" and "I study Chinese but I can not speak it yet."

---
ETA: Welcome to the forum, guitarob! :)

Edited by Jinx on 27 December 2010 at 8:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Rodrigo Chaves
Hexaglot
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5217 days ago

12 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, English, Spanish, Italian, Catalan
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 130 of 204
27 December 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
I'm 17

Portuguese - Native
English - My first contact with English happened when I was 6. I can speak it fairly well
Spanish - Started studying when I was 13/14. Since it's very similar to Portuguese, I can speak it well too.
Esperanto - Started this year, on January. Because of it's easiness, it's not hard to learn. I don't speak it very fluently, but I speak it well too.
Japanese - Tried it when I was 12-14 but i stopped studying it. I only remember Kanas, Kanjis and basic conversation. My grammar sucks just like my vocabulary =P
Catalan - I've been studying Catalan for 3 or 4 months. I can talk/write and understand Catalan, not very well but I can. I intend to get a C1 level by March

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4900 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 131 of 204
27 December 2010 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
I'm 22 and still monolingual.

English: native tongue.

French: at least 6 years of classes in school, resulting in me knowing a couple of common phrases, and I might still remember the present tense conjugations of etre and avoir.

German: started studying on my own about a year ago using Pimsleur. This has continued on and off. I don't know much, but I'm told I have a pretty good accent.

Esperanto: started a few months ago, though I haven't had a lot of time for study since I've been in university. I am in love with this language and do not doubt that I will become fluent in it. I seem to soak up the vocabulary like a sponge.

Toki Pona: started a few weeks ago, just had time to start really focusing on it in the last week or so. I've learned over half the words, but to understand sentences I have to read the whole thing and then pick them apart, which just won't do in spoken conversation.

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5024 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 132 of 204
27 December 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
I feel soooo old compared to many others on this forum. I just turned 45!

Latin: Studied for 2 years in high school. Had a great teacher and can still conjugate in the present & future and
remember most of the cases, but have no desire to try to pick it back up. I'd rather spend my precious time on
spoken languages.

French: Started at age 22 with 2 summer college classes, then joined an adult group, and later studied privately
with a native speaker, to whom I owe my conversational ability. Later finished a French/Secondary Education
degree, but wouldn't have been able to communicate without my years of 1-on 1 practice with my private tutor.
I'd say I have basic fluency, although maybe it's a little higher, though certainly not advanced fluency.   
Conversationally, I can still hold my own, although I no longer have a native speaker to practice with.

Spanish: Briefly started in 1992, to commemorate the 500 year old "discovery" of the New World, but couldn't
keep it up. Picked it back up with an adult group maybe in 1998, then took a class or 2 at university, but I never
learn as much with "formal" training as I do 1-on-1 or in an unstructured environment. In 2005, for job
security, I bit the bullet and finished the classes I needed to become a "teacher," but I know my level doesn't
reach basic fluency, so I consider myself still studying, still trying to improve. Practice with a native speaker
makes such a difference!     

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5182 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 133 of 204
27 December 2010 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Myself: 26

Italian: about a B1 or B2 - started studying at 18

French: about a B1 - started at 20

Spanish: maybe B1 - studied in high school for 4 years and then didn't study it again until this year

All of my other languages were started this year and range from A1 - B1.

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4907 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 134 of 204
28 December 2010 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
I'm 16 years old

English: Native language :P

Mandarin: Secondary native language

French: "Studied" it in school from grade 4-9, learned how to say some stuff. Bonjour and the numbers 1-10 are all I remember from those classes though. Started self studying it this summer - Intermediate. Skills, from strongest to weakest go: Speaking (weird right?), reading, writing, listening. Hoping to improve the listening by watching French movies with French subtitles.

Cantonese: Level- Atrocious, started maybe 1 month ago? I guess I'm not motivated enough at the moment.

*EDIT

Since this post, I picked up German as a target language haha...

Okay so here it is.

German: Level- Beginner, just started. I'm loving the grammar so far, I don't know why, but it's just really interesting. Anyways, hopefully come summer I'll be able to conduct relatively lengthy conversations, even if they're riddled with blunders on my part.

Edited by CheeseInsider on 30 December 2010 at 4:39am

sm66
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5143 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Greek, German

Message 135 of 204
28 December 2010 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
I'm 19 years old.

English: Mother tongue.

French: Been studying for 1 year and would say that I'm at an intermediate level.

Italian: Something of a secondary native language for myself, yet I can't speak it, due
to my grandparents being from there, I believe I've had 100s hours of input...yet very
little output. Therefore, my speaking is worse than French but my listening and
understanding is far better in Italian!

El niño copado
Joined 4865 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Romanian

Message 136 of 204
28 December 2010 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
I'm 16.

English is my native tongue.

Spanish: I've been studying Spanish for a year now, but at a faster pace that most
people (In America, because HS language is a joke). I converse with natives a lot in
chat rooms (with minimal errors and misunderstandings), and have read some smaller literature. All in all though, I'm a beginner level, due to my crappy conversational
ability.

Russian: I've been studying for less than 6 months. I stubble and crash along at best
in writing and conversation, my comprehension is iffy, and I've never had a
conversation yet.

Romanian: I started studying that last week, so my practical skills end at hello, but I
can tell you if you're a guy, girl, etc. XD

I've got amoeba sized vocabs and understanding of a few other languages like Biblical
Hebrew, French, German, Dutch, Polish, but like I said I don't know much at all about
those languages just some phrases and small pieces.

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version