France
Joined 5256 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 145 of 204
31 December 2010 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
dutos wrote:

Portuguese - Very Strong. I don't throw around the "fluent" tag lightly because to me, that means native or someone *who can pass as a native*.

No, that would be advanced fluency or even what they call "near-native". Basic fluency means that you're at ease with the language, that it flows.
1 person has voted this message useful

Azzurra
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 4897 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, English
Studies: French, Italian

Message 146 of 204
01 January 2011 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm 41.

Cantonese: My mother tongue

Mandarin: Second native then got proficiency while i was studying in Taiwan for my BA degree.(I'm not good at Simplified Chinese, can read it but can't write it..not very eager to learn it anyway...)

English: In my city, every kids need to learn it since they are babies. But I was not very into it. Until one day,as a grow-up,suddenly I realised that:Oh,it seems that i can explain myself with this language.Cool! I watch BBC everyday for keeping my study vivid and active.

French: Studied it for almost 3 years at L'AF, as i was below 30. dropped it then. would like to pick it up later because i still have some good friends around who came from France.

Italian: I've been learning it 3 years ago.Be honest, it was because of my ex-BF(an Italian).I felt in love with this language since then. And now, my passion for Italian is beyond romance. will keep learning it.

My regrets:
Nepali: My parent could speak Nepali (for doing business with the Gurkha during my adolescent).i met Nepalese everyday but i never learned it.Too naive when i was young. What a shame!
Other Chinese dialects: My parent have got different mother tongues. they still speak dialects with relatives. Somehow i can guess what the topics they are talking about but i just don't have motivation to learn them. :(

Edited by Azzurra on 01 January 2011 at 12:13pm

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5753 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 147 of 204
01 January 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
I was very sad today to check my own profile and find out that I'm forty years old now!

It looks like the forum software rounds off a person's age by birth year (just a guess). But now my language log title make no sense! I constructed my language project so that I could say, when that time comes - in ten months! - that I have some knowledge of four foreign languages - 1 per decade, a really slow rate of acquisition it seems, but I've done a great deal of it only in the last two years. I spent too many years without languages and I regret that, so I'm catching up now.

So the languages are: Spanish (age 14), German (37), French (38) and this year (39)Italian.

UPDATE: Finally figured out how to delete my age from my profile, so no problem now. It's no secret because it's in my language log, but I don't like wrong information in my forum profile. Also had a slip of the finger and deleted half of my original post!

Edited by meramarina on 19 January 2011 at 6:55pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5633 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 148 of 204
01 January 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
It looks like the forum software rounds off a person's age by birth year (just a guess).

Yes, this seems to be the magic age trick of the forum software. It says in my profile that I'm 50 since today on New Year 2011, but my real 50th birthday will be in June 2011.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 01 January 2011 at 8:24pm

Lingalang
Diglot
United States
Joined 4862 days ago

10 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 149 of 204
02 January 2011 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Im 17 and am currently learning my first language, German. I took a year of German
classes when I was 15, and then worked with Rosseta Stone last summer. Now Im living in
Austria for a yearr as an exchange student. Learning another language has been and is
really amazing, and the immersion factor makes it considerably better.

Ulmo
Diglot
Joined 5872 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 150 of 204
02 January 2011 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Brazilian Portuguese is my native language, and I recently turned 19.

English - started learning it at school at the age of 6. It's my second best language.
French - started learning it on my own about an year ago, but didn't go really serious about it. Due to to cognates between English and Portuguese I can understand a great deal of both written and spoken French, although I can merely pass by speaking.
Japanese - started learning about 4 years ago, going in and out several times. Albeit still sounding like a child, I'm conversational in Japanese.
Italian - I've studied it for some time. Again, due to similarities, I can understand much more than I actually speak. I guess I could pass by in Italy, though.
Esperanto - I've dabbled with it for a little while. I'd say I'm a high beginner.
Biblical Hebrew - started it about 6 months ago. It's the only language besides English I've taken classes. I can read simple biblical passages with the aid of a dictionary.

xtwinni
Diglot
United States
Joined 4861 days ago

4 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: French, Russian, Dutch, Japanese

Message 151 of 204
02 January 2011 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
I'm 16.

Languages -

English: Native speaker.
Mandarin Chinese: 100% fluent. I'm an American born Chinese, so I can speak this as well as my mother tongue.
French: Semi-fluent. Learned in school for four years.
Korean: Been studying for 5 years, though it's no where near my French level...
Arabic: Also a new language for this new year.

Don't have many languages yet, but I'm slowly and surely building them up.

polyglHot
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 4852 days ago

173 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian
Studies: Russian

Message 152 of 204
15 January 2011 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
dizzycloud wrote:
Something that's fascinated me about the members on this forum is
that there are so many polyglots and people who speak a fair few languages..

but how do you all have the time to study and learn these languages?
At what ages did you learn these languages and how fluent are you in them?
How long did they take you?

I think it'll be interesting for people to post their languages, the age they started
learning and the level they're currently at..

as for myself...

English - (Maternal tongue)
French - Started at age 12, still learning (I'm 19), semi-fluent
Spanish - Started at 18, still learning, intermediate

Thanks for your posts in advance :)

I have time for my languages because I don't have a job and all I do is travel.

I'm 26.
Norwegian - mother tongue, rather fluent but with a northern accent
English - around age 8 'till 15, self media induced immersion in the following decade.
More fluent in this one than in Norwegian.
German - age 13-16. Intermediate, basic fluency, hard to say, pretty "rusty".
Spanish - around age 20. A few years. Intermediate or basic fluency.
Indonesian - age 25-26. Lower intermediate maybe...
Russian - 26-...? Who knows? I am at a beginners level after 3 months in Russia. Am
currently trying to learn more every day...

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version