United States
Joined 4823 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 161 of 204
23 January 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm 18. :)

Spanish: Native language. I moved to the US when I was about 3, so I never had proper Spanish schooling. I was in bilingual classes up until 3rd grade, and from 4th grade on, Spanish was never used in class. I can speak, write, and understand fluently, but my vocabulary leaves a lot to be desired. I'm hoping to improve this by writing many Spanish short stories this year.

English: My second language. It's also my best language, I'm sad to admit. Learned it since elementary, and it will be the language I study with in college, obviously. My English vocabulary puts my Spanish to shame.

Finnish: My third language, and the only language I'm learning on my own. I'm still a beginner, but I'm able to pick up words here and there in speech and in texts. I'm getting the hang of grammar, so I can recognize many suffixes. My understanding of texts is a lot better than my listening comprehension, obviously.

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 23 January 2011 at 7:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sh'Naya
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6518 days ago

48 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 162 of 204
25 January 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
I'm 27.

German: Native language.

English: First foreign language. Started at age 9. My passive abilites are near-native like. However, I rarely speak or write.

French: Started at age 12 and dropped it 6 years later. I neither speak nor write it but can still understand some things. I guess, within a few weeks I could reach B1.

Russian: Startet at age 15 and dropped it one year later. I can read the script and say hello, bye and thanks. That's it. Nonetheless, my knowledge helped me a great deal during my travelling through Russia a few years ago because of all the loanwords.

Finnish: Startet at age 23. Attended two university courses and afterwards lived for 9 months in Finland where I learned enough vocabulary to be able to cook with recipes.
This weekend I decided to use the opportunity ... I dropped it because I thought it is useless but there's a finnish girl living here (at my place) up to 14 days each month! I simply can't stand it anymore. I have to pick it up again.

Spanish: Started at age 23. B2 (except speaking which is worse, reading probably better). I'm not pleased with my progress. However, I was busy finishing my studies.

Japanese: Started at age 26 with learning the Kana then dropped it because of my diploma thesis. Picked it up a few months ago. Beginner (Kana + ~300 Kanji and an unknown number of words).

At the moment, I focus on English, Spanish, Japanese and Finnish. This year I also want to brush up on my French.

Ericounet
France
yojik.euRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5195 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 
Studies: English, German, Russian

Message 163 of 204
10 February 2011 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
I'm 54

French: native

German: passive high (my father is German) and I lived at the border. Learned at school from 10 to 17 years old. (teachers were awfull :(:()

English: learned at school from 14 to 17: same bad learning experiences. Learned later by myself because I was very interested in computing science (and the computing books were mostly written in English)

Latin: from 10 to 17 ... allmost forgotten (no use)

Modern Greek: learned when I was 19: allmost forgotten. (no use)

now:

English: I watch some BBC tv shows, read every day English news (mostly about computer science) ... It's a every day work.

Russian: I began in 2000 (Russian girlfriend at theses old times :) ) and continue now (my wife is from Kazakhstan); also a every day work.

German: I didn't speak until 1974: I took the assimil book and started to learn again.
I still understand very well, but cannot speak without efforts.

Chinese (mandarin): I just started last week ;)

I would like to know some Korean and Japanese too ... maybe later!

Edited by Ericounet on 10 February 2011 at 9:29pm

Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4803 days ago

48 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 164 of 204
11 February 2011 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
I'm 16,

My languages are:
Spanish: Native, with colombian accent... I think I was lucky because that's one of the most neutral ones (the colombian Spanish)

English: I learned most of it in school and I studied it by myself since I was 8, I like the language and it's at the same time very necesary, so it's great.

Portugues: Very similar to Spanish, a few more "antique" but closely related, I can understand almost everything and Pronunciation seems not too difficult (like Spanish), so I'm actually trying to learn it.

German: Simply I love that language, I like a lot how it sounds and I like Germany a lot. Also I've heard this language is good for engineers, so I'm doing a course Via Deutsche Welle.

Luck for all.
Salute !

cymrotom
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
cymrympls.blogspot.c
Joined 4797 days ago

56 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Mandarin, Welsh

Message 165 of 204
11 February 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm 45 years old
English - native
German - started at age 9, reached intermediate fluency, but it has waned since I stopped studying
Mandarin - age 18, gained advanced fluency
Welsh - started learning (still learning) at age 31, reached intermediate fluency

Edited by cymrotom on 12 February 2011 at 9:33pm

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6024 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 166 of 204
11 February 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I'm 29 years old.

English is my native language.

Portuguese: My father is from Brazil, but he never spoke portuguese at home so I had to learn it myself. Studied in high school, but never used it and lost it all. Began self study about two years ago and mostly use it for reading now. When I meet Brazilians or Portuguese I am able to converse and enjoy.

Japanese: Began self study about 7 years ago but it has been on and off for a while. I have been seriously studying it for about 1.5 years and can easily get around anywhere in Japan and am getting better in my reading capability.

Esperanto: Began studying this interesting language about 2 years ago on a whim and mostly use it for reading or listening to Esperanto podcasts.

Italian: Thought it would be useful and fun to learn before I went on vacation to Rome a few years ago and found it to be a beautiful language. I use it for reading novels and newspapers mostly.

Latin: Can read simple texts and some of the easier classics, but definitely not fluent in my reading capabilities yet. Another beautiful and interesting language.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6543 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 167 of 204
11 February 2011 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
I'm 29.

Polish: native. But not as fluent as I could be, having spent most of my life out of
the country.

Norwegian (5): native. Started learning on my first day of kindergarten, then
throughout most of my formal education.

English (10): native. Took me something like 10 years to learn it well, to the point
that I felt satisfied with myself. In the process of which I effectively switched the
language of my life to English as well; I'm now more fluent in it than in the other two
natives.

French (13): beginner. Sad story. I love French, but I couldn't muster more than a
fraction of the enthusiasm that I had for English. After high school I've seen
virtually nothing of it.

So I had a fairly early start, but here comes a long period of inactivity. English was
done, French wasn't happening, nothing was going on.

Italian (28): intermediate/fluent. The great language revival, thanks to HTLAL. Started
learning it in 2009 and I'm still learning it. It's been going really well.

Dutch (28): beginner/intermediate. Not too many complaints, only that I don't give it
as much attention, so it's coming slower.

Prognosis:

French (30): For real this time, armed with everything I've learned about language
learning in the last couple of years.

I'm a little bit interested in Mandarin and Spanish, so I might want to do a bit of
those after. Maybe, maybe not.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5746 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 168 of 204
11 February 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
I'm now 31, I've been interested in languages for about 10 years, but only been really serious for the last couple years.

English - native

German - got to A1/A2 in high-school, then self-taught since 2009...
now maybe C1 in many regards? my speaking is still rough around the edges

Spanish - A2 due to a university course...been meaning to restart

Mandarin - spent 7 months at a university in China, and then studied on my own...I can manage basic conversation and and I'm mostly literate.

Esperanto - self-study on and off in 2010. Speaking is sorta ok-ish, reading and writing is better.

Dutch - self-study since January...B2 reading, A2 speaking?

Swedish - self-study on and off in 2010. B2 reading, horrible speaking.

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version