Your Language(s) & Age?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
204 messages over 26 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 25 26 Next >>
FrancescoP
Octoglot
Italy
Joined 5732 days ago

169 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, German, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Norwegian
Studies: Georgian, Japanese, Croatian, Greek

Message 17 of 204
22 September 2008 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
For Sennin. You got me, I'm actually a Ph. D. candidate, and one about to defend his dissertation in a matter of weeks, too. Perhaps I painted this kind of life in colours too bright: it's true you have time to learn languages (and actually use them in your work, which is more than rewarding), but being a post-grad researcher is hard from a material and a psychological point of view. If you're ready to put up with a constant feeling of purposelessness and the puzzled faces of your neighbours, however, welcome on board! :)

For Maya_Star17. I'll send you a private message about Georgian
1 person has voted this message useful

JS-1
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5765 days ago

144 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), German, Japanese, Ancient Egyptian, Arabic (Written)

Message 18 of 204
22 September 2008 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
I'm 42 years of age.

English: my native language.

Irish: I had to learn this language in school from age 4, and after all that I still can’t speak it.

Spanish: I had to study this in school starting at age 12, but I never liked it so I gave it up.

Akkadian: I have always been fascinated by dead languages and started this one about ten years ago. I have to say this is my linguistic true love.

Sumerian: this has to be the most fascinating language I have come across. It is so wonderfully weird, and I would love to devote my life to it.

Arabic: I always wanted to learn this language, and I had intended to go to Iraq to visit some of the ancient sites where Akkadian and Sumerian were once spoken, but I don't think that's going to happen in the immediate future.

French: I started this language recently as I thought it would be nice to have the basics for a trip to France. Since then I have really gotten into it.

Japanese: I really like this language and I find the grammar fascinating, the writing charming, and the spoken language beautiful.

German: I started German one day out of curiosity and am still studying it. I don’t know if I will put in the work to reach fluency, but it would be nice to be able to read it well.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Morales
Diglot
Saudi ArabiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5693 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 19 of 204
22 September 2008 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
i'm 22 years old my native language is Arabic
and I started to learn English two years ago and I hope to learn Spanish and other Romance languages soon .

Hollow
Bilingual Triglot
United States
luelinks.netRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6321 days ago

179 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, SpanishB2
Studies: Korean

Message 20 of 204
23 September 2008 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
20 years old, as of 2 days

English- Native tongue

French- Equally native. If we must nitpick I probably know more contemporary slang in English than French, but I'm a native speaker of both, eh...

Spanish- Intermediate level. I can understand just about all of it, my accent is rather good I think, but it's still hard to string sentences together with the fluidity of a native speaker

Korean- Has gotten worlds better in the last 3 months I've been here in Korea, still around basic fluency I'd say. I can have basic conversations and explain concepts, but still with halting grammar and great vocab deficiencies

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 204
23 September 2008 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
I wrote an answer for this thread, but it became too long so I moved it to 'my own thread'.

In brief the content was the following:

I'm 54 and old enough to see my skills in certain languages go both up and down.

My native language is Danish, and in elementary school I also learned a fair bit of English, German plus passive Latin, later to be followed by French in the "gymnasium" (high school). Besides I studied Italian and Spanish at home from around the age of 12. Later during my university studies I added Romanian as a spoken language and studied Old French, Old Occitan, Catalan and Old Norse, though without being able to speak any of these fluently. I learned the Greek and Russian alphabets plus a few "tourist phrases" in each of these languages, but never attempted to do more.

Then I spent 25 years doing other things, and only those languages that I used for TV watching and travelling were kept alive. Roughly half of my languages became too rusty for practical use.

Then I found this forum and decided to relearn my languages. I have not revised my language list since adding Portuguese in 2007, but I have several languages waiting for the kind of training AND confirmation that consists in using the languages actively for several days in a row - preferably in situ. I could probably move my Swedish up without further tests, but Dutch, Icelandic and Modern Greek definitely are on the candidate list. Russian too, but my progress has been unexpectedly slow. On the other hand my Latin is moving rapidly these days after a long period of neglect, and I am trying to making it an active language.

Edited by Iversen on 24 September 2008 at 4:44am

2 persons have voted this message useful

PengY
United Kingdom
Joined 5688 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 22 of 204
23 September 2008 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 

English: Native Language

French: Studying since 12 years old, I don't like it that much but it's compulsory in school.

Japanese: I self teach this language and I think it's beautiful. I love the writing system, the words, grammar, etc. I find it fascinating.

iordanis
Triglot
Greece
Joined 5760 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Greek*, French, English

Message 23 of 204
26 September 2008 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
age-ilikia=35=trianta pente

greek-ellinika=mother tongue=mitriki glossa

english-anglika, francais-gallika, Italiano-italika, (can read and understand-boro na diavaso kai na katalavo) espanol-ispanika, portugues-portogallika.

RockfnBttm
Diglot
United States
Joined 5686 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Italian, English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 24 of 204
26 September 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
23 years old.

English - Native language

Italian - Family is from Sicily, grew up learning their dialect. Now working on perfecting Italian language

Spanish - From Los Angeles, basic Spanish is a necessity. Now taking it in college, can have basic conversations

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version